Window Cleaners?

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mole
    mole

My hats off to all who realized at a later age, to return to school and get an education. I put off my dream of a flying career till I was 35 after taking the advice of elders and my parents. I know others in the hall who secretly desire to explore their talents and interests, but are afraid to break ranks. I feel for them as many will continue getting older and feel a bitterness for not following their dreams. I now have about a year of school left and I've never been happier. I now see many young JW's today graduating highschool (sometimes..) with so much talent and potential looking totally lost as to what to do with themselves.
    I only hope they don't take as I did to discover that its ok to get an education and do what they really enjoy. OOPS....forgot, there is no true joy in this system of things...

• mole
    mole

...OR STRIPPING AND WAXING FLOORS...

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later

The Union, May 21, 2017

Donning a holster with cleaning supplies and a squeegee perfectly poised in his hand, Nathan Rhoades assesses the large window in front of him and deems it a candidate for the "butterfly technique."

"The goal is to clean the entire expanse of glass in one swipe," he said. "It's a method I learned from my dad."

With precision and grace, Nathan carefully executes large figure-eight-like motions, followed by a quick flick of the wrist at the bottom so as not to leave any streaks or water stains. Spotless. Perfect. Impeccable.

Anyone who questions whether window washing is an art should spend a morning with Nathan, who is a third generation window washer. In the 1960s, his grandparents started a carpet and house cleaning business in Southern California. Nathan's father, Ron, was trained by his own father in the window washing arm of the business, before moving his family to Nevada County in the id-70s.

Today, Ron's business, "Rhoades Family Janitorial" has been cleaning offices in Grass Valley and Nevada City for more than 30 years. At the age of 14, young Nathan began working with his father to learn window washing, with the goal of opening his own business upon graduation.

In 2012, at the age of 18, Nathan graduated from Forest Charter School and launched his own business, "Rhoades Window Cleaning."

Despite the success of his one-man business, Nathan says he's not interested in adding more employees. Instead he'd rather "keep it small and keep life simpler."

More than the reward of a job well done, Nathan, a Jehovah's Witness, says he has used the money he's earned to take two missionary trips abroad — one to Nicaragua and another to Bali, Indonesia. More trips are in the works, he said.

While Nathan is currently taking classes at Sierra College, he says he's happy with the rewards of a small business.

• Chook
    Chook

I'm embarrassed to say I'm a window cleaner, I only work 20 out of every 60 days , brings in good money but I'm sick of it . I tore a ligament in my knee 6 weeks ago so window cleaning might come to an end soon.

• Londo111
    Londo111

In my area, JWs become painters.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Around here, they are also well represented in carpet cleaning and pest control.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My wife has a colleague that is 86 years old and working on his PhD. You are never too old to learn.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I started window cleaning in 1986 to pioneer - ended up doing it on and off for many years after my exit from the JW's. In my late 30's I started a law degree, graduated, then did a Masters, now doing a PhD. I have done some teaching at college the last few years, I gave up cleaning windows about 4 years ago. Last year at the age of 46 I stepped up another stage to become a university lecturer.

Education is worth it, at any age.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I hated doing three-story homes. Initially, I didn't have a ladder standoff. Once I got one, I was less scared and did a better job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit