Ways "THEY" Controlled You

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

They still control us, when we use titles like Disfellowshiped, Disassociated and Inactive to refer to ourselves. Even calling ourselves Ex-Jw's is their control, as that is the title they see us as. Feeling we fit on an Ex-Jw board, is left-over control, in that we feel meeting with other Ex-Jw's will work for us. It goes on and on and never ends.

• minimus
    minimus

Why, I don't think a designation is necessarily a proof of control. If someone said that you are a "delinquent taxpayer" because you didn't pay on time, what would that prove? Or, if someone said that a person was an ex-Moonie and that this was an indication of still being controlled, I think you would not agree....My 2 cents..

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

whyhideit

In reply,

You are an ex-jw. And you are on an ex-jw board. And you're here talking about jw topics. And yet, you say THEY are still in control? Huh? When will YOU be in control? When will you be responsible for you? Or is it more therapeutic to keep blaming "them" ////Nakedmvistar////

• Scully
    Scully

The way "THEY" discouraged people from bettering themselves financially or with education.

Not having enough money to do the kinds of things you'd like to do (travel, take courses, and other fun stuff) makes you dependent on "THEM" because "THEY" tell you that if you keep putting "THEM" and Kingdom Interests TM first, you'll eventually (maybe) have 1000 years in Paradise TM to do all that stuff you really want to do now, but don't have the money or education to do it.

And if you DO have some money, even a little bit, "THEY" keep telling you how much more than you that "THEY" need it to Advance Kingdom Interests TM .

With "THEM" it's always about the money.

Love, Scully

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

And how long were YOU, scully, in with THEM before YOU realized all this? I'm sure THEY didn't sucker YOU? ////nakedmvistar////

• Scully
    Scully

"THEY" didn't HAVE to sucker me, because "THEY" suckered my parents, and my parents taught me that "THEY" were right and that I should listen to "THEM". Having no other point of reference to go by, and believing what "THEY" said about not needing to look elsewhere for The Truth TM , it wasn't until I was an adult and started questioning everything "THEY" said.

By the way, "THEY" failed miserably in measuring up. That's why "THEY" no longer have my @$$ occupying any of "THEIR" chairs at the Kingdom Hall.

Also, you remind me of someone else who used to post here...... NYT, perhaps?

Love, Scully

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Speaking of weddings . . . my girlfriends daughter was getting married. Through the course of the evening I approached the band to see if they would take a request. No, was the answer.

A member of the band proceeded to tell me that the elders had - - - prior to the reception - - - requested to see the song list that the band was playing for the evening. No other songs would be allowed, except the songs that the elders had pre-approved! What a bunch of control freaks! . . . GAWD!!!

ESTEE

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

nakedmvistar

I was not aware my statement cast blame, but I do not see why I should recognize their titles. Would you agree that alcohol still controls the AA meetings? Does that mean the AA meetings are negative? No, it just shows how much control something has over people to make them need such a specialized assistance. Same goes for us. If we could all erase our minds and history, then we would be out of their control. Until then, we are in their control to some degree.

Edited by - whyhideit on 4 January 2003 23:20:53

• rocketman
    rocketman

nakedvid...unfortunately, many, many here have not found out they were controlled until much time had gone by. It's not something that manifests itself with just one or two events most of the time. It's a cumulative effect of perhaps years of dealing with controlling elders and other jws who find area after area in which to exert their influence.

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

whyhideit,

Perhaps you can come up with your own titles! I'm sure they would be lovely....

So tell me, were you baptised? Did you leave "them" or were you removed... Were the rules and regulations too much for you? Did you hate it because you couldn't do "fun things" Did you have a faith in God or were you just going through the motions? Do any of these questions have anything to do with your perception of the term "control" in relations to the org? ////Nakedmvistar////

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit