A Nice Little Chopin Prelude

by Farkel 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

David,

: Over the years, it has become an effective vehicle for New Age pianists, most notably George Winston.

Winston sucks. So does Yanni. I guess I'm just an old fart, but they are both totally boring and not-very talented, IMNSHO. For so-called "professionals" that is. I'm just a hack, so I can say anything.

Want some REAL excitement? Listen to Glenn Gould play Bach or Rudolph Serkin play the Schuman A minor Concerto. Or Arthur Rubenstein play Brahms and Chopin. THAT is real excitement in my little world!

Farkel

• Solace
    Solace

Very nice.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

And my sound is still down,DAM!!...OUTLAW

• david_10
    david_10

Hi Farkel. To tell you the truth, I don't disagree with you, although I wouldn't use the word "sucks". Even Winston himself is the first to admit that he is somewhat limited in technic and not having the ability to read music or the benefit of formal training doesn't help him much. But I think he has a statement to make and he communicates well with his listeners, both in person and on record. By the way, he performed here some time back and I had the privilege of tuning and preparing the Steinway for his concert and he put on a helluva show. And he's a very nice laid-back sort of a guy. I got him to autograph a couple of albums for me and we had a nice visit about all things musical. And just because you don't like him doesn't make you an old fart. We all like different things and there's nothing wrong with that.

In a previous thread, you had some comments about Liberace which I thought hit the mark. Here's another very talented guy who chose to bypass the rigorous, difficult path of the concert pianist and in terms of technical developement, he chose to go so far and no farther. And he himself spoke frankly and humorously of his limitations. But here's what's so hard to figure out : How did he become so famous? He wasn't that good and while he was a good showman, any of us could wear effeminate clothes and a thick toupee and play a plexiglass rhinestone studded piano and do a little tap dancing and by all rights make millions. But it doesn't work that way. Why him? Why not you? Or me? I've never figured out the formula for success, and I guess there isn't one. Talent and ability is certainly not always a prerequisite. A lotta luck, I suppose.

And I totally agree with you about what constitutes real music. I have a bunch of Glenn Gould records, although he doesn't rank up there as one my favorites. But Serkin (both of them) Rubinstein and a lot of the others from the older school-----oh yeah! But Gould is hard to crack. Look in any pianist bio book, and there might be a page or two each for Horowitz or Cliburn or anyone else, but there will be 10 for Gould. He was hard to figure out. Even though I don't care much for him, I probably play his records more than anyone else's. If I want to get a different take on a piece, I'll play the Gould version---------he was different.

Well, I better shut it down. Nice talking to you, Farkel.

David

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

David- when you saw George Winston, was he wearing shoes? When he performed here he was barefoot!!

XW

• david_10
    david_10

Hi Xenawarrior. He was wearing socks, but no shoes. Seems like one them had a little hole in the big toe. Totally laid back and informal. He really had a good night, performance-wise. He played his version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" and I was praying for him to stop. If it would have gone on for another minute, I would have been rolling in the isle. It was something else. After it was over, I looked around and everyone was panting. Something else. And the whole show was fantastic.

David

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I don't care for Glen Gould. Sorry, guys! I think he was too full of himself.

I have several favorites depending on the style of the music. For Bach I've been keenly listening to Andra Schiff. For Chopin I used to love Kristian Zimmerman, but have discovered that there are many other pianists who have more colorful tones. For Beethoven, Richard Goode matches my style. A coulple of years ago, I discovered Sviatoslav Richter. I hope I spelled his name right. I have a video of his bio. His rendition of Rachmaninoff is just amazing.

I've been watching the Van Cliburn Competition since 1985, and I own video tapes of the competition from 1989 except for 2001. The 2001 Competition is in DVD. I have to say that in 2001 Competition there were pretty good young pianists. I'm sure some of them will become legends like Richter, Serkin and George Bolet.

It is so good to talk about music. Thanks, guys, for your interest and for letting me share my thoughts.

• Farkel
    Farkel

David,

Thank you for your comments.

With regards to Glenn Guold, you said:

: He wasn't that good

I say: YES HE WAS!

He played Mozart Sonatas three times faster than anyone else who ever recorded them. He played the Emperor (Beethoven's fifth) Piano Concerto at least 1/3rd SLOWER than anyone who had recorded it before him. Why? Because as Glenn said, "why NOT? Everyone else has done it in the standard way." You gotta love Glenn Gould. I could never begin to touch his genuis in this or any other lifetime. His renditions of music are awesome and will withstand the test of time, IMNSHO.

If Canada produced anything the least bit worthwhile besides Glenn Gould, Scully, Kismet and about three others, I'd like to hear about it!

Farkel, waiting for the Canuck's to mess him up, Class!

Edited by - Farkel on 4 January 2003 2:44:25

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

A good link that you probably already know of:

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

• Farkel
    Farkel

David,

A final thought since your mentioned both Serkins:

Peter sucks and doesn't even come close to the music his old man produced. Peter's Mozart makes me puke. Rudolph's Mozart makes me cry.

Not that I'm opinionated, or anything.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit