im giving up ciggies today help

by dannywalsh 23 Replies latest social physical

• dannywalsh
    dannywalsh

im giving up the dreaded weed today the old cigarettes any helpful practical suggestions and sucess strories would be much appreciated

• breeze
    breeze

It is difficult....keep your mind busy on other things....keep something in your mouth, not candy or food...

I hope you make it!!

• ISP
    ISP

Cool.....all the best!

ISP

• kelpie
    kelpie

My father found it helpful to always be doing something with his hands and he constantly had a toothpick hanging out of his mouth.

He said once he got over the intial cravings it was more the habit of having a cigerate in his mouth that he found it hard to break which is why he had the toothpick.

Alll the best.

Kelps

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good for you!

I've been off of them for almost a month now. I don't even think about lighting up.

STAND UP to the internal voice telling you that you're going to die or go crazy if you don't have a cig. You won't die or go crazy. Tell yourself "I HAVE QUIT SMOKING!!! I AM A NON-SMOKER NOW!!!" That helped me when I was going through withdrawal.

Think of the money you'll save! Cigs are getting so damn expensive anymore.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I quit smoking some 30 years ago and I can still remember like it was yesterday. This is not going to be easy. The thing that worked for me is I finally got it thru my pea sized brain that I could not indulge in that little pleasure anymore. Another trick, that helped is when the urge came on I would start running and that seemed to help. The first three days are horrible and the first month is very difficult, so if you can get thru all of that you should make it, if you really wish to quit. Wishing you the best. Bug

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Congratulations and I wish you success.

I quit cigs over 2 years ago. I'm not going to say it's easy. Far from it!!!! But, IT CAN BE DONE.

A couple of things helped me during the first few months of my quit. The first thing I would like to suggest to you is to download a "quit meter". These meters keep track of how many cigs you would have smoked, money saved, ect. Then, you can post nifty stats on your quit like this.

Two years, two months, one week, 14 hours, 31 minutes and 3 seconds. 25555 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,472.42. Life saved: 12 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes. (These are my stats).

Also, a support group is helpful. My support group was/is the newsgroup alt.support.stop-smoking. Here is a web link to the newsgroup's FAQ.
    http://www.swen.uwaterloo.ca/~as3/faq/faqpart1.html

This is a place where one can go for support, especially during a severe nic fit.

I hope you hang in there, and if you get the meter, please post your quit stats.

Take care,

El K

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

www.quitnet.com

Check this out.

• Introspection
    Introspection

If you don't already, I would suggest start taking a multi vitamin formula. Here is a link to an article on smoking cessation along with nutritional guidelines. It doesn't cost very much, and it's stuff you need for your health anyways. Some extra vitamin C is a good idea, I would recommend having a bottle with the water you'll want to drink in a day and getting some fine buffered vitamin C powder (calcium ascorbate) that dissolves readily in water. This way you can get it little by little throughout the day. This way you're supporting your body as well as working on the psychological aspects.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=1275

• animal
    animal

I quit cigs in '94..... now I only smoke cigars. Good luck.

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit