Starting to get grilled by parents

by Anonymous17 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Anonymous17
    Anonymous17
    So my parents had a meeting with me to talk about me not progressing spiritualy as I should be. I felt like I was being interrogated in a nice way. They want to know who I talk to and if my association at work good. They said I've been quiet and they're worried I might not make the right decision in the future to get closer to Jehovah. I know they love me and want me to be "saved" But it's so hard to tell them what they want to hear for the sake of peace. I wish they would except me as I am and understand I don't want to follow their foot steps anymore. I have to think of this as a trial that will make me stronger before I can be free. Honestly this whole experience has made me want to stay away from any religion for a while till I find myself. I appreciate all the support with my last post. Thank you all
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

What did you say?

• Anonymous17
    Anonymous17

JWdaughter

I tried to say the least I could so they wouldn't get worried. I said I understand what they are saying and agreed with mostly shaking my head yeah and saying there's nothing to worry about with me.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Dear anonymous17

I can empathize with your situation. It is not easy at all.

You seem to be a very loving and kind person. And you know that your parents react like this because they want you to be saved. They are indoctrinated in this belief.

My mother is acting similarly, even though i am older than you (35). She writes me letters, that she is sad because I distanced myself from "jehovahs organisation." I let her know in a always very loving way, how I appreciate her and also her concern. I tell her the reasons why i left the organisation, but that my relationship to god is much stronger now. I tell her she don't need to be sad, because my personal hope and fate rests wirh god, no human or human organisation can decide or judge me. I tell her the things i believe in (unconditional ove respect, pacifism, human rights). I tell her that i will always be there for her and love her.

I tell you, just act according to your conscience. If you feel that your conscience can't support some watchtower teachings then decide for yourself that you can't follow those. Research about it. To decide what you believe or not is a long journey, sonetimes a lifelong quest. You might change your views and beliefs several times, thats nothing bad. And you will never get all the answers.

Maybe let your parents know that you want to follow your conscience. Tell them that you love them AND THAT YOU RESPECT THEIR VIEWS, BUT THAT YOU WOULD LIKE THEM TO ALSO RESPECT YOUR FREEDOM TO DECIDE ABOUT RELIGIOUS MATTERS ACCORDING TO YOUR CONSCIENCE.

Don't follow them for hours just being like a robot. This wouldnt be good for you.

Anyway i wish you all the best

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just go along to get along until your old enough and able to move out. In the mean time focus on your education. The average jw is broke and stupid.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Dan hasxa kind approach. Dont draw any lines in the sand or it will be there forever. No ncommitally respectful until you can ease away gently.dont take any stand now, or maybe ever. Just keep the wt reins off your neck.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You are in a tough place, but it is good to remember that your parents are trying to do the right thing. They just happen to be wrong. As Daniel said already, "....they want you to be saved. They are indoctrinated in this belief."

If you can remain such a kind person to them, they should probably keep contact with you as you leave that religion as your own adult. Consider reading Steve Hassan's books to know how to deal with them better. COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL has been re-released.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Jesus didnt get baptised until he was 30.

If anyone ever asks you about getting baptised, that is the come back line.

repeat as often as needed until they stop asking....

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Kindly explain that your relationship with Jehovah has never been better, but also that Jesus taught that it is a PERSONAL relationship, which, even excludes family.

Not a criticism. but some seem to make a show or a display of how "spiritual" they are.

Jesus said: " All the works they do, they do to be seen by men " (Matt. 23:5)

I do not want my spirituality to be something to impress men - I want it to be my PERSONAL relationship with God.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    Consider reading Steve Hassan's books to know how to deal with them better. COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL has been re-released.

I second that suggestion. Here are some reviews:

www.freedomofmind.com/Media/bookCombattingReview.php

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit