Survey about Depression & Therapy

by ESTEE 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I would really like to hear your opinion on this topic:

You know how the jws look down their nose on a person who falls into depression?

I am curious how many people here think that if you have been in therapy that you are emotionally weak.

It is my opinion that it takes courage to go into therapy because the therapy helps a person to face their fears and deal with their issues - - - instead of deny and supress them. This would in fact mean that it is an emotionally strong person who is courageous enough to explore their issues in therapy and re-learn, re-program and re-parent themselves if they have had a stolen childhood, etc., due to trauma or abuse . . . . After all, they are survivors!

Care to share your thoughts on this?

ESTEE

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Estee:

Not having love and support is what is weak<dub's> The ones that are the weak one's are the one's that hide it or deny it. They shove little wifey in the corner and ignore her signs of distress or there children crying out for help.Funny, when my Brother in law first was diagnosed as bi-polar his parents <monsters> told him it was bull and he was weal well when his Mother<monster> needed to have a paper about depression GUESS what she went to ask him about it The worst was a relative I know that tried suicide and her father walked in the hospital and told her to "QUIT IT" "GET UP AND COME HOME" OHMYGD

So yes it takes a strong strong person to admit they are fallible and to seek help but also not to be to trusting Doctors can be good or bad. Just as with the dub's research etc. To make sure your treatment is the right one FOR YOU.

• rebel
    rebel

Estee,

I agree with you - it does take courage to seek outside help if you need it. However, a word of caution. Doctors have tremendous power. I was seriously depressed at one stage in my life and was sectioned in a a psychiatric hospital when I sought help. For those of you that don't know, this means I was not allowed to leave until the doctors saw fit to let me out. They said I was a danger to myself (??? - how would they know) and I was in for 4 months. I had 3 children at home but still had to wait on this dopey doctor to decide to let me out. I hadn't done anything bad, I was just suffering from depression, but they decided to make an issue of it. Maybe the ward was empty and they needed people to fill it - who knows. As I mentioned on the other thread about psychological help, only 4 JWs visited me in that 4 months (on different ocassions - I didn't just have 4 visits in total from them). My family were great - it's a good job I have a large family - it could have been very lonely. Most of the people in my word were just depressed like me - there were hardly any crackpots, which is what most people expected. Only one elder out of 5 in my congregation came to see me - so much for Christian love. I think I was an embarassment to them.

xxR

• Scully
    Scully

One of the things my family doctor told me when I felt like I wasn't coping with my feelings the way I normally do was that it takes a lot of courage to be honest with yourself and ask for the kind of help that I was asking for. He told me that I deserved a lot of credit for taking that first step. (No, he wasn't talking about the Visa-card type of credit!)

Overall, my experience with "worldly people" regarding depression has been very positive. They are very supportive and care enough to find tangible ways to help. On the other hand, the JWs' solution to depression, like everything else, is "more field service", "more personal study", "more prayer", "more meetings", "quit feeling sorry for yourself because you have The Truth TM , and other people are worse off than you". What they do - whether it's their intent or not - is pile guilt on the backs of people who are already overwhelmed with negativity, increasing their emotional burden, and implying that they are still and always will be "not good enough for Jehovah".

They just cannot fathom how much they are hurting people who are already hurting and feeling like death would bring them relief. They do not know the meaning of "fellow-feeling", even though they preach it like they do. They wouldn't know empathy if it ran over them with a Mack truck.

Love, Scully

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

I think seeking therapy is something that takes guts, for most people. They are in therapy to face their issues and heal.

For some rare few therapy is a huge cop out, a way to avoid responsibility and get sympathy and even drugs while blaming every problem in their lives on ANYONE else.

Therapy worked for me. I did individual and group and did a lot of work myself guided by self-help workbooks and my tarot reader. (scoff if you will, it helped me tremendously) But I have seen people close to me use therapy to stagnate, to wallow in their pain and refuse to move on.

Still, I think therapy embarked upon for the right reasons can make a huge difference, it depends on whether the person is really their ready to face their issues and WORK on themselves.

~Witch

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Estee,

What a great thread. Thanks!

When I came out of the borg totally in the early 80's, I had been abused, not only by religion, but by my marriage. The religion was gone and so was the marriage. I was a mess. I felt so lost and alone, because even though I had some family and friends that I could talk to, they didn't really understand. I felt abandoned by god, and I couldn't even pray. There was still so much guilt, because I had these "feelings". I just felt that I must be bad and not even know it, because I couldn't just fall in line and believe the JW's.

Everything that happened to me in my life after the age of thirteen, until then, revolved around the borg. I did not have the resources to seek help. And, of course, we know that the WTBTS does not believe in going to a Therapist. However, because I was so emotionally distressed at one point, Social Services encouraged me to talk to one of their counselors for help. That didn't work out. So, I just basically did the best I could. Later in life, I visited at least three therapists, and they were provided by my employer. Let's just say, they could not relate at all. It wasn't until the later part of 2001 that I finally found someone who knew all about cults and JW's. I was finally able to get some good guidance and encouragement. I learned how to relax and meditate. I learned that I was okay--really, and that I was very strong. In that office, I cried my heart out. I realized then, more than ever before, how everything in my life revolved in some way around the JW concept. Gradually, I came away feeling renewed and hopeful. That heavy yoke was beginning to shift and feel lighter.

Friends and family are great, but sometimes, you need a stranger to help you face the things you need to face, and to recognize aspects of behavior that need changing. I highly recommend seeking therapy. I feel that it is a very good thing. We go to the medical doctor when our body hurts. When our emotions hurt or day to day living is too sad, too painful, and the depression keeps us from living our life fully and completely, we need to find a doctor for that as well. Ask first if they are familiar with JW's. If they aren't, go elsewhere. Don't waste your time.

Therapy did not cure me. There is lots of stuff brought out in therapy that I had to fix myself. There is no magic potion that will fix everything. But, I certainly did learn a lot about myself, my strengths and my weaknesses. Changing me certainly did help many areas of my life.

Remember, the only person you can control is yourself. Change is never easy, but the rewards are great! Therapy can really help. It's a start. It's certainly NOT a sign of weakness!!

• flower
    flower

It takes a lot of strength and courage to go to a doctor about an emotional problem especially when your family is all jw's who believe that you are now 'crazy' because you have regular therapy sessions with a psychiatrist. Most of my family acted like I was a leper and stared like I had three heads after they found out I was hospitalized with severe depression and suicidal tendencies after I was df'd. They figured thats what happens when you turn away from Jehover.

I dont really give a shit what anyone thinks, talking to my ob/gyn about what I was going through was what got me started on the road to recovery and if I hadnt gone through that crap I wouldnt be here today.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

We all have problems. Anyone who says they don't is ... one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It takes courage to face a problem, especially when the problem is not your doing. If you face your fear and conquer your life changes in ways you can't imagine. If you choose not to face your fear, then you will have accomplished nothing and you will end up being a miserable human being.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

No, those who seek therapy aren't necessarily emotionally weak. In fact, it takes a lot of courage sometimes to deal with these issues.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Seeking therapy does not in itself determine whether someone is emotionally "weak" or "strong". Someone can face their issues whether they're in therapy or not, and being in therapy does not necessarily mean you're really facing them. (of course, atleast that's the point) Likewise, not being in therapy does not necessarily mean you are emotionally stronger, it may just be that some people never even look at some parts of themselves and just goes through life that way. That's like saying going to a doctor means you're sick - you could be functioning but basically be a time bomb, but a smart person would go get things checked out before they have to be hospitalized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit