Blessings for Loyalty

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Did you believe that you would be blessed by God by doing more in the organization? Did you see a relationship between being blessed by God and being active in the Organization?

• Roddy
    Roddy

Of course. It was drummed into our dear little ears in every magazine, book, meeting, field service, circuit overseer visit, assembly, funeral talk, wedding talk, Memorial, family study, student talk, and everywhere else.

"Are you doing enough for Jehovah?"

"What prevents you from pioneering?"

"Are you reaching out for greater privilages?"

"Are you going out in service?"

"Did you hand in your field service report for the month?"

The more more more you did the happier happier happier we're supposed to feel. And if you didn't, then something is wrong with you. You're blocking Jehovah's spirit. You have a bad attitude somewhere or you are still not doing enough.

You're happy because Jehovah is blessing you.

If you're sad that's because you are not serving Jehovah, you're not studying, you're not whole-souled - it's all your fault! Have the elders work with you. Don't give up. Don't be discouraged. And if you are discouraged, that's your doing, not ours; we're only trying to help.

But it gets to the point after you've been whipped for the umpteenth time when you stop to ask, "So when is this constant badgering going to end? Enough already! Is this REALLY what God requires of us?"

Edited by - Roddy on 30 December 2002 13:14:22

• Skeptically Yours
    Skeptically Yours

JH,

Here's a bitter story about blessings from God for being loyal in his organization.

There's this sister, whom I care for dearly, that is ever present in all meetings, all activities, excellent mother and wife, always helping those in need and solving everyone's problems around her. Just someone to admire in every way! A woman that, if they are correct in their theology, then she's the first one to inheret eternal life in heavens or earth.

And.................what type of blessing/protection from the almighty God does she deserve for being an excellent person and faithful servant? A full blown, terminal cancer that in less than 2 months has left her body awfully mutilated, skinny beyond belief, and with no hopes of ever going back to any type of good life.

Blessings?! Protection from God?!!!!!!!! Bologna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care!

• JH
    JH

All the blessings I received was a few privileges such as cleaning the toilets, and passing the microphone at the meetings.

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

I was just thinking about this very thought this weekend. I was at the circuit assembly and all they talked about was blessings from Jehovah. They told all kinds of experiences where being faithful to Jehovah and putting him first will always pay off. Now heres the deal. A MS in my congo traveling to the assembly. His car breaks down. He is on the side of the road hoping someone he knows will reconize him and give him a hand. His 5 kids have to get to the assembly in 3 different cars that came at three different times. He stays back to work on the car with his wife.

The kids get to the assembly but by lunch time their parents still haven't made it. So we all give them part of our lunches to eat. (By the way these are young kids from 3-15). The parents finally make it half way through the 2nd half car still not fixed but at a shop where its going to cost about 200.00 to repair.

Why couldn't a loving God help this family make it to the assembly safely. Maybe the MS is not as faithful as I think he is. What other reason could there be.

Diamond

• Scully
    Scully

DIAMOND writes:

A MS in my congo traveling to the assembly. His car breaks down. He is on the side of the road hoping someone he knows will reconize him and give him a hand. His 5 kids have to get to the assembly in 3 different cars that came at three different times. He stays back to work on the car with his wife.

The kids get to the assembly but by lunch time their parents still haven't made it. So we all give them part of our lunches to eat. (By the way these are young kids from 3-15). The parents finally make it half way through the 2nd half car still not fixed but at a shop where its going to cost about 200.00 to repair.

Why couldn't a loving God help this family make it to the assembly safely. Maybe the MS is not as faithful as I think he is. What other reason could there be.

Don't be surprised if blessing kid #6 makes an appearance sometime around August or September.

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 30 December 2002 13:49:0

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

At one time I did equate loyalty with "blessings".

However, I was sadly disillusioned to learn that years of loyalty counted as nothing when you experience problems. Both the loyalty and "blessing" can soon be forgotten.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

My understanding on this while in the org was paradoxical. On one hand, we were told that Jehovah would bless us, and on the other, we were told that if we were true Christians, we would experience persecution on a regular basis.I'd hear people who were experiencing rough times exclaim-"Well, I must be doing something right for Jehovah to be facing all this persecution," while at the same time when someone else was experiencing problems, they would berate them for their lack of faith and suggest that they were doing something immoral in secret and "reaping what they sowed!"

• Francois
    Francois

Saying that you receive extra blessings from Jehoober for doing extra in the congregation is exactly the same as saying that you can make God change his mind by what you do; that you can pray your problems away, that you can "purchase" blessings from God. Isn't that concept the very one that provoked the Protestant Revolt?, that you could "buy" forgiveness of sin from a priest?

How like the Catholic Church the JW really are.

francois

• caligirl
    caligirl

Never.I recall no blessings ever befalling my family, and my parents are still at it after
    almost 30 years... I never bought into earning salvation, since the bible clearly states it is 
    a gift. I never understood how they could say out of one side of their
     mouth that it was a gift and out of the other say all those lovely "encouraging" things at all 
    the meetings that Roddy already recited about having to "prove" how grateful we were for this 
    "gift" with more service, more everything , etc or else the "gift" could be taken away.
     Then I grew up and understood that the orface they were talking out of was on the other 
    end. Then it all became clear!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit