Guys help me out, no isrealite women judges?????since when

by Diogenesister 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Guys what the hell is going on, how can jackson say there were no ISREALITE WOMEN JUDGES!!!!HOW MANY JEWISH WOMEN JUDGES ARE THERE?cDidnt Maclellan check up om that one, would have thought he'd know!!
  • CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Judges chapter 4 and the history of my people are clear that a woman, Deborah, was once a judge of Israel.

Jackson also stated that the JW don't allow parents to spank their children, which I know is not true. So it's no surprise that he will say anything that isn't accurate to make himself and the Witnesses look good.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thanks Caleb, I knew you sould come to my rescue!(and my sanity!) I think ol'Angus will be waiting a while for those scriptual refs!

Can't believe he had the nerve to say "some people take scripture out of context!".These characters take the whole BIBLE out of context!!

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    caleb: do you know about when he said that?
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    caleb: do you know about when he said that?

About half an hour ago

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

It was at the point in which Jackson was asked about corporal punishment, when he was led backwards using the NWT to see the related Scriptures used in the cross-references therein.

The "rod of discipline" of Proverbs 22.15 was being discussed, and Jackson said that it was mainly being interpreted today as educational discipline.

He was directly asked if the ancient writers of this text had a different view, and Jackson tried to skirt the issue, repeating again that the JWs now hold an interpretation that does not apply it literally.

He was then asked point blank if Jehovah's Witnesses believing and practice corporal punishment in regards to the discipline of their children, and Jackson said that they were against corporal punishment of children.

That, of course, is a lie.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

And as for women's role in judging and teaching and leading Israel, let us not forget that Miriam served as a prophet alongside her brother Moses.

And it was a woman whom G-d used to first proclaim that any writing of the Jews was Scripture, and that was the prophet Huldah spoken of in 2 Kings 22 and 2 Chronicles 34.

And who can forget Esther who acted as savior of my people, and who we celebrate every year at Purim?

• Splash
    Splash

This seems pretty clear to me:

(Judges 4:4, 5) Now Debʹo·rah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapʹpi·doth, was judging Israel at that time. She used to sit under Debʹo·rah’s palm tree between Raʹmah and Bethʹel in the mountainous region of Eʹphra·im; the Israelites would go up to her for judgment.

However WT have repeatedly described Deborah as a 'prophetess', and not a 'judge'. WT refer to "Judge Barak" even though this phrase is never found in the scriptures, nor implied.
  • CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

You can also tell how a religion feels about women depending on the Bible translation they use in reference to Judges 4.4.

Here Deborah is referred to as a NABI in Hebrew, but in the feminine. The reason? It is merely Hebrew syntax convention, requiring a feminized suffix since the word is used in reference to Deborah.

Modern translations understand this and translate this word as "prophet" and not "prophetess." There was no difference between the type of "prophet" Deborah was because she had, what Mr. Jackson and the other members of the Governing Body would probably call "woman parts."

On the contrary, Deborah and Miriam were full-fledged "prophets," just as much as Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel.

Judaism recognizes 7 female prophets: Sarah, Miriam, Deborah, Hannah, Abigail, Huldah, and Esther.

It should be interesting to know that Daniel is not considered to be a prophet among Jews, nor is his book in the "Prophets" section of the Hebrew Bible. Daniel, relied heavily upon as a prophet by JWs, was never sent with public pronouncements or oracles to Israel--the requisite for being considered a prophet of G-d by Jews. Daniel, instead, dealt with dreams given to private individuals and composed them in such a manner as to teach lessons of hope regarding redemption from the Seleucid oppression.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan
    JWs are against corporal punishment of children in the countries where this is banned, e.g. Norway and other Scandinavian countries... All references to such have been rephrased in WT literature for decades.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit