Are you ashamed to admit you were a JW?

by sleepy 29 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

It's been five years and I've had is good feedback whenever I've told anyone, though.

###########

IN ALMOST ever case you will find that nonjw will give you great feed back- most non-jw have never been taught like jw to judge as HARSHLY as we were taught, so most are proud of the fact that you have left

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Well, when I meet someone new...it's one of those things where I have to get to know them really well before I share that part of my life with them. I guess I don't want it to be a defining factor in my new relationships. Kind of like the way that some homosexuals say that, though they are not ashamed, they do not want it to be the defining point of who they are. I hope that I'm making sense here.

Y'all take care.

Coon

• moana
    moana

I always bring it up & every opportunity. My only fear is that one time it's going to catch up with me & that I'll be telling it to a current jw. All the pain I've recently gone thru has not been easy for me (even tho I've been away for 27years now) being shunned by my only parent is something I think everybody needs to know so they will slam the door in their faces & know it is an evil cult. The people I tell are very kind and understanding to me - sometimes I really need that.

Peace & Joy

• metatron
    metatron

Very ashamed! Like admitting I was part of some ignorant, hateful cult.

I told some I was "inactive" as a Witness - they replied "they allow that?!"

metatron

• jimbob
    jimbob

JT....you are so right. I've only told just a few people about how I USED to be a Witness, and I've had positive feedback. Same thing with my wife. The people we've told are happy that we've left. Funny thing is, I used to never, ever tell people I was a Witness when I was in the borg. I was too embarrassed and ashamed and always used to fear what people would say when I told them.....so I just kept it to myself. Now, I have no problem telling people I USED to be a Witness. Feels pretty good!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That organization F***ed up my life and ripped my family apart.

I take every opportunity to let people know now distructive it is.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 27 December 2002 11:28:30

Edited by - Elsewhere on 27 December 2002 11:29:39

• rekless
    rekless

Howdy everyone, I haven't posted in a long time. This subject hit my fancy.

Nope, I tell everyone that I was a JW. I love to see their eyes and thought process as witness against the Witnesses. I use it to save lives. I saved one entire family in Las Vegas that was studying. When the witnesses told the father he had to throw his golden crucifix away he told them everything I told him then told them get out.

I throw away any mag. that I find in the laundry room.

I even have a maintenance man that works for me that his sister is a JW. After last night conversation about my leaving I am sure he would never consider studying. He has already told his sister the only reason she is a witness is because she is too cheap to buy gifts during the holiday seasons.

It is amazing how witnessing about the witness help save lives.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

When it comes to serious matter's like getting a Dept of Defense clearance, you may well wish you never were one of Jw's. Muddies the water so to speak!

Overcoming the above is possible, but the sheer humiliation of being so gullible, is enough for me to be very careful about revealing my history. Timing is everything.

Danny

• caligirl
    caligirl

I would not say that I am ashamed - it was not my choice at 1-year old to become a witness, it was my parents choice. Therefore, I do not feel that I need to take on the burden of shame over the issue - had enough misplaced guilt to last a lifetime! If the comes up, I tell people that I was raised a witness, but left after I grew up. This almost always gives me an opportunity to give the person who asked a nice big list of reasons why I left and hopefully give them enough information to know that they never want to be involved and they can share what I tell them with anyone they might know who contemplates involvement. I find that most people know very little and are very curious to know details.

• metatron
    metatron

EXCELLENT BUMPER STICKER, DUDE!

metatron (I'm impressed!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit