Are you ashamed to admit you were a JW?

by sleepy 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

How do you feel about telling people you were a JW, does it make you feel like admiting you were a flasher or some strange perv?

I told a lady the other day who asked about what I was doing for christmas, that i used to be a JW, but I had to make sure she knew I was brought up as one by my parents , just so she didn't think it was my choice.

She thought I was very brave for leaving though.

• rebel
    rebel

I became a JW out of choice. I was brought up as a Catholic but I started studying in 1985 and got baptised in 1989. I am not ashamed to tell people I was RC or a JW - why should I be? It was a decision I made that seemed logical at the time. It also gave me a great insight into the workings of that organisation. I used to get annoyed when the WBTS constantly ran down the Catholic Church because I felt only an ex-Catholic could do that. After all, I knew what being RC was all about - I knew that religion inside out. It's the same with having been a JW - when people critisise them, I know exactly what the truth is behind the name and I am in a better position to give an informed opinion. I wouldn't know half as much about their warped doctrines if I hadn't experienced it first hand. So, despite all the anguish and pain I have experienced as a JW (plus the good times - and there were good times) I am glad I was one - this may sound weird to a lot of you but that's how I feel.

xxR

• ballistic
    ballistic

It took me years to start telling people sleepy, then it was just like all hell broke loose. However I still don't blab about it with people I don't know that well.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I have to agree with Rebel. The only difference was that was brought into the religion by my mom when I was 7 years old. Before that I had been Catholic as well. Although I am not ashamed to say that I was a JW, I certainly dont bring it up as part of everyday conversation. If someone asks what religion I am, I am simply not part of any religion. On the other hand, if I am trying to help someone cope with a difficult situation and they can benefit from what I have gone through with the witnesses then I am happy to bring it to their attention. I dont regret the time that I spent as one though I wish I had come to my senses sooner.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I agree with you Rebel,

I'm not ashamed to tell someone that I was a JW, they are much like many other religions, just a bunch of delusioned people trying to find an answer to life and death.

Ken P.

Edited by - Undecided on 27 December 2002 7:22:50

• Englishman
    Englishman

I tell everyone!

I mean, think about it, there's a real *star* quality to being an ex-member of a cult. Instant fame, a legend in your own lunch-time!

Maybe even enough pazzaz to becoming a well-paid after dinner speaker?

Englishman.

• JT
    JT

yep i tell folks- they find it amazing when you tell them inside stories of how JW REALLY FEEL ABOUT THIER CO-WORKERS and the folks next door - yes tell folks how jw really feel about nonjw-

they are often shocked, the DFing process when it is explained to them such as judical case of adultry and how the person must relate ALL THE DETAILS, DATES, PLACES , TIME , HOW, WHEN, HOW LONG, WAS IT GOOD, DID YOU ENJOY IT, DID YOU CLIMAX

most non-jw can't believe the little clean cut lady at their door is subjected to such questioning by the 3 clean cut men standing up the street

the insight that non-jw can get by telling them will forever keep them away from becoming a jw

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Englishman: "a legend in your own lunch-time" that is just way too cute

Lisa

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I'm with you rebel 100%

Guest 77

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Frankly, sometimes I was ashamed to admit I was a jw during the 30 years I was one.

I still feel a little embarrassed to say that I was a jw. The name of the religion sounds so strange to me and people might think I'm so weak to have been swept up in it for so long (out of choice). It's been five years and all I've had is good feedback whenever I've told anyone, so it gets easier for me to talk about it.

Edited by - windchaser on 27 December 2002 7:56:14

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit