How many elders...

by starfish422 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• starfish422
    starfish422

Just a quick question...how many elders normally on a JC? I thought three; but when I met with the elders there were two.

Thanks,

• minimus
    minimus

It's supposed to be 3 or more. 2 usually go to get info to bring back to the body for them to determine if a judicial com. is needed.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

By the Society's rules there must be at least 3, there may be more for "special circumstances", but no less.

I served as an elder for many years, including a time in a congregation where there were only a few elders. When there was an occasion were a judicial committee was required, I had to draft in elders from outside.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Actually three ELDERS are not necessary though in America with the abundance of elders this is how the guide book is interpreted. On occasion in areas were the elders are in short supply Ministerial servants are seen as spiritually qualified to sit on judicial commitees but are encouraged to limit their contribution to being yes men.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I have never ever heard of a ministerial servant being used on a judicial commitee. Least not here in the good old US of A. Where are you getting this from?

Three is the magic number. Three elders are needed for the six-eyed numbers(apologies to all one-eyed elders).

Edited by - No apologies on 27 December 2002 17:49:44

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Three (at least) will be on the JC for a baptised publisher.

Two elders will meet with someone who is not baptised.

• minimus
    minimus

I served on a judicial committee when I was about 23 yrs. of age, actually 2, I was a MS. The next year I became an elder.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Thanks for your answers, folks. I guess I was never placed in front of a formal JC; just the two elders fishing for information. They did ask me "THE QUESTION", though, about whether I thought the GB is Jehovah's visible org, blah blah blah.

• rebel
    rebel

What about 2 elders and an MS coming on my 'shepherding' visit! I never heard of that before. I know that sometimes an elder takes an MS with him to train him - but I had 3 last night - all in their black suits with their big briefcases - looking at me menacingly!!!!!!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Rebel.

I hope you kept quiet. Sounds like they are on a trail. No rule says you have to answer their questions, although suspicions are raised if you refuse. Be careful Rebel.

starfish422,

Looks like you and Rebel are on the same list.

Jst2laws

Edited by - Jst2laws on 29 December 2002 11:21:4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit