How many elders...

by starfish422 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I had only two at a JC when I was 14. (for once, the JC was actually for a good reason). There were only two elders and they weren't brutal at all. In fact, they were real gentle with me. I think because they knew that my life had not been a picnic, that they took pity on me, which allowed me to find a wife as a JW, leave myself, then convince the wife, then parents and siblings to leave.........

ash

• Gordy
    Gordy

At my congregation here in England. We have always been told 3 Elders make up a Judicial Committee.

The Presiding Overseer, Service Overseer and Secretary, if one of those not available another Elder can be appointed.

• Aztec
    Aztec

I had 3 elders during my JC. Ah the memories....

~Aztec

• COMF
    COMF

I saw the thread title and thought, "...does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

Of course this quickly morphed into "...does it take to screw up a life?"

• animal
    animal

I walked out on three of them....

Animal

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Actually I served on a JC when still a servant due to a shortge of elders. This practice was sanctioned by the local branch and Brooklyn. We DF'd a poor woman. It pains me to this day. This was in the 1990's.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Jst2laws: My JC was in 1993!! LOL But thanks for the warning. Just trying to keep up with the current rules.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Recently an English Sister has been disfellowshipped after 2 meetings with ONLY 2 elders,

a third from another congregation signed the paperwork.

Was this procedure correct? I believe not!

fokyc

• fokyc
    fokyc

bttt

HOW MANY ELDERS for a disfellowshipping? Have the rules changed in the last couple of years?

I believe it is 3 or more.

fokyc

• sir82
    sir82

Yep, still 3.

But given that all the branch would see is the final paperwork, they would never know if their rules were broken by the local elders.

And since 99% of non-elder publishers don't know the rules the elders have to play by, they don't know enough to protest if the rules are broken.

If the D-F'ed woman wanted to cause a ruckus for whatever reason, she could write to the CO and explain how the procedure was not followed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit