No personal information in profiles

by happyout 10 Replies latest jw friends

• happyout
    happyout

When I put my profile together, I did not include my name or information because I still have family in the borg, and don't wish to be identified. I was curious about others, though, and started looking at a lot of profiles. I noticed many, if not most, of the members have elected to leave off most personal identifying information. Is it just because of internet safety, or are there other reasons? If you have elected not to give personal info, can you tell me why? Just curiousity (and I'm a person, not a cat, so don't even go there).

• JH
    JH

That's a personal choice that everyone has. Some are still going to meetings and don't want to be identified. Some are thinking of maybe returning one day, and don't want trouble. In my case, I even put down my password. I trust everyone.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think a while back the profile feature was disbled. I didn't realize it had been turned back on

But what the heck - if anyone wants to know about me they can go to my web page

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think everyone should learn the basics in internet security and this includes never giving BOTH your

surname and hometown out. If you did this you can be found more or less in a few seconds.
    Remember, the internet is "broadcast" everywhere. It could reach anyone from your neighbour to prison

populations in various countries to criminals who prey on the vulnerable or stalkers who's playground is the internet.

This is serious stuff!

You should also take care with your main email address and consider "fire wall" type software to prevent PC intrusion.

• breeze
    breeze

I left out the profile information for the same reasons you mentioned.....

I don't want to be labeled as DF'ed - DA'ed.....

I first had an e-mail address that I was going to use just for this and the e-mail system let out my secret ID....most e-mail system will allow you to be not readily identified.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I left mine out so I wouldn't be bombarded with truck loads of beautiful women wanting my fortune!

caveman

• Englishman
    Englishman

I don't give a monkeys who knows who I am or where I live. Anyway, I trade under my own name so anyone can find me and my address in the phone book, so the security angle becomes pointless for me. I will, however, always honour someone request for anonimity.

I know, though, that darkness hates the light, and that there is the most inordinate relief to be had in coming out!

(With apologies to our gay contingency)

Englishman.

• Prisca
    Prisca

As "Prisca" is a derivative of the name "Priscilla", I don't have too many qualms over people knowing my first name. When people ask where I live, I say "Sydney", as that is a pretty general discription. I won't specify which suburb of Sydney I live in though.

I used to much more worried about being ID'd through information I've given out in posts etc, but so far nothing's gone wrong. One friend that used to be a JW too saw my profile here and worked out who I was, but that was ok, as he's left as well. Also, I'm further along in my progress of leaving the Borg, so I'm better equipped to handle things if I was ID'd by someone who is a JW.

• ballistic
    ballistic

My point, Prisca, is that you simply don't reveal yourself on the internet (excluding Englishman LOL). This is not an ex-JW thing. This is internet rules. I have seen mobile phone numbers given out here in chat. You simply don't do this on the internet.

• Simon
    Simon

I'd recommend everyone thinks twice before revealing too much personal information unless they are comortable doing so.

Not only are there general dangers from doing this on the internet but some exJWs seem to like to cause trouble for people and carry on personal vendettas.

I'm planning (on the new version) to allow more personal information to be stored (phone no's, addresses etc...) but to be able to set which information is public and which is available 'on request' for such things as gift exchanges etc... (you'll receive a request from someone and will then have the chance to allow or reject it). This should make it easier for people to get in touch without having to reveal personal info to everyone, even email addresses (which can be locked).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit