Why Do Inactive Ones Regularly Go To Assemblies?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel
    rebel

I suppose it is worth sitting through the whole thing if it makes your family happy. I hate to see them look so down. I didn't go for all of the district convention this year, but I went for one day just to make them happy. Many of you will disagree with this, but for the time being, I don't know any other way.

• minimus
    minimus

Hey Rebel, You have to do what YOU think is best. What I still don't comprehend is the reason such people make such a big fuss about going. They are looked down on by most of the "friends". They only walk around and socialize. WHY BOTHER???

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Ye, I did it a couple of times...turned up and stayed for a bit...listened to the talks....even put money in the contribution box, guess it made me feel good or something????

Don't do it anymore.....what's the point? I just get so angry after.

• Nickey
    Nickey

My most humiliating experience there was when I tripped over a cord and fell FLAT on my face in front of alllllllllllll those people!

Minutes later while rubbing my knee and walking up those scary concrete steps that I was always afraid of falling down, I heard a scream and saw a sister with a Jheri Curl fall over a row in the "nosebleed" section and fall onto the people below her.

Other time, I held in laughs as people tripped a step or two down the steps while I checked off how long it would be until lunch or the Drama.

Sitting in the arena and trying to spot someone I knew through the binoculars I bought from the people outside. "Heeeey... I know who that is."

Kinda mean, but I was just so bored.

• minimus
    minimus

Well Nickey, You sure had some great experiences going to assemblies!.......I haven't been to an assembly in about a year and a half. Everybody thought that we went to the "other" assembly. When someone asked me this week if I planned on going to the upcoming assembly because her daughter is getting baptized, I said that I might be away on a business trip that weekend and couldn't say for sure. WOW! I got such a disappointed and unhappy look from her. It kinda made me feel bad. But I still think I'm going to plan that trip around that weekend.....For the last few years, I hated the lunch break. I'd go with my wife to the mall or to the local sandwich shop, rather than hang around and talk nonsense......Like I said, I can't figure out why anyone would voluntarily go there.

• blondie
    blondie
    Everybody thought that we went to the "other" assembly.

Minimus, we'll be using that technique from now on as well as scheduling our vacations around them. I live near an assembly hall so have many weekends to choose from not just the other side. The last assembly just about did me in, it was so verbally abusive. One older sister (in "the truth" 50 years) said that the CO/DO would eventually be brought down to our level. So I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Blondie

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Why Do Inactive Ones Regularly Go To Assemblies?

Masochist says to Sadist: "Beat me, BEAT ME!"

Sadist replies to Masochist: "NO!"

Dub Assemblies are nothing more than a world-wide book promotion tour, except you don't get free refreshments or personally autographed copies of the books. You have to BUY them. If I wrote that crap, I wouldn't want to associate my name with them, either.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 25 December 2002 9:41:21

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

During the years I was inactive, I attended a few Assemblies. I went mainly to take the wife, who was still active. As the marriage deteriorated further, I even stopped taking her to those and said she would have to take herself.

I saw the Assemblies no different than I did meetings and got nothing from them, other than a feeling of boredom and a wasted day. Some comments made by some to the wife concerning me further cemented my eventual disassociation and subsequent divorce.

Lew W

• gumby
    gumby

Because it makes them feel they might have..."more of a chance" at surviving Armaggedon.

It's the same reason all the losers at least make the memorial. It also keeps the Publishers and Servants off their butts a little more.

• minimus
    minimus

To an inactive JW, missing the Memorial is a sin. It shows an utter lack of appreciation for Jehovah's provision for a ransom sacrifice. Once you go to a meeting, Memorial or assembly, the elders now have a license to call you and further harass you. I really think that the major reason inactives go to the assemblies is because they are in need of validation or association or just to find someone that they can date. That's why they are trolling around, never in their seats, unless it's to look in binoculars for a "friend".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit