Anything new on Barbara Anderson's case?

by Gamaliel 40 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

joy2befree,

Even so (about my age and the century), I think it's an amazing aspect of the case, because evidence presented about this fact will surprise a lot of JWs. It may make more sisters think twice about how they are treated by husbands and elders. If the WTS fears this outcome, she even has a better chance of winning. It's one of the reasons I think the WTS loses no matter what.

One outcome I fantasize about is that the WTS feels they might offer her a sum of money along with a gag order so she can't discuss it. Woe be to the WTS if they think they can play a one-sided gag order in this day and age.

Why not just sit back and watch how her case unfolds and see for yourself what documentation she has and where she got it from.

I do want to see how her case unfolds; I'm just having trouble "sitting back."

Gamaliel

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

"I'm just having trouble "sitting back." "

you and me both!!

But hey, life is sweet and we have plenty of time. (you're not serving for a date anymore, are ya???)

j2bf

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Room 215,

I guess we're a bit off topic but you are absolutely right about the reliance on "Christendom's" works. We even had the commentaries judged by which were the most useful and trustworthy, which were the most Trinitarian (eg. Barnes was the most generally acceptable for the NT, Matthew Henry next for the OT with NT, others for historical background, others for original language exposition, etc.)

What we really hated were the one's that were "critical" of the text, even though we didn't really know what the term "textual criticism" meant (yet, via Liddel and Scott, we were unknowingly relying on it). Perhaps Jim N. understood it well enough, but it took me until a few years after I left to understand the real value of textual criticism. Only Jim N. had a working knowledge of Aramaic and Hebrew and no one except a couple of people outside the department had any NT Greek knowledge to speak of. And don't say George Gangas; his NT Greek was very inadequate. Not that it's particularly relevant, but I personally know of several mistakes he made in translating current English magazine article titles/headlines to Modern Greek. (Most of the time, someone else did the actual article contents, the body copy. He sometimes did that too but often made a messy translation. He was down to just translating the titles so that the ones requiring fancy fonts, to match the English version, could be done over at the factory where they had photographic typesetting facilities. One of the reasons I went to Athens was to make sure the branch could finally handle the entire process on their own.)

Many of these volumes are extremely rare and valuable, and the relatively few JWs who learn of their existence and examine them, are impresed by the depth of their expositions. Yet most JWs naively believe that thier ``Faithful and Discreet Slave'' has a monopoly on propethic interpretation, exigesis or historical background. ...

Late in my Bethel career, the libraries were effectively shut off from Bethelites. I practically lived in those libraries, so I know I left just in time.

WT proof readers, at least some of whom are women (Barbara Grizzuti was one) deserve high marks for their work; errors of spelling or punctuation are very rare in their publications.

Agreed. I think half a dozen of the Writers were excellent, but their excellence bespoke intelligence, and the small majority of less intelligent finally regained control. Problem was (as I saw it) the less intelligent were also many times less productive. We would now have a dry spell of new material. I had heard they began relying more on outsiders. I'm glad to learn now that at least one was a woman. They did one thing right. But, unfortunately for them, she was intelligent, too.

Gamaliel

Edited by - Gamaliel on 24 December 2002 13:25:10

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Does anyone have a list of all Articles written by Barbara Anderson -- that would be cool!

• Room 215
    Room 215

C'mon Joy2b...... If any place on this planet is stuck in a time warp, it's Bethel.... You're expecting me to believe that the old birds that run the place are any less misogynistic than before? These geezers still think $150 a week is great money on the ``outside."

Happy New Year and Best Wishes from Two One Five

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

If any place on this planet is stuck in a time warp, it's Bethel.... You're expecting me to believe that the old birds that run the place are any less misogynistic than before?

LOL! And since when is becoming any less misogynistic, racist, ageist, sexist...whatever, a prerequisite for recognizing where one can take advantage of the intellect, talents, skills, and abilities of individuals of the despised group? All manner of histories is replete with documentation of just such raging opportunism.

Given the evidence that the so-called principles they claim to embrace are jettisoned in a NY minute when it suits their interests, Bethel heavies can ill-afford to allow their notion of the inferiority of women risk the whole scam unveiling. It does what it must to survive.

So while women continue to be devalued by the WTS as a lesser species, they also continue to make up the vast majority of gullible dupes who cling to the "security" craved from a religion claiming to be "the truth," shoring up this creaky organization (and all other religion of which I am aware). Men, otoh---intelligent ones and imbeciles alike---are bailing (or "slowing down") in droves and have been for some time, leaving the WTS little recourse but to employ those they deem to be "faithful" women in places they'd much prefer to have men---without awarding them the "promotions", of course---and keeping it well out of sight and earshot beyond Brooklyn's walls.

Nothing less misogynistic about it. No evolving or enlightened ideologies. It's business, plain and simple.

(Undoubtedly a comparable expediency opened the way for the "holy spirit to [finally] appoint" Herd as a GB member at the end of the 20th century. You got religion-loving black folks comprising a disproportionately high percentage of the faithful and not a a chocolate chip in the vanilla expanse. As much as black JWs love "Jehovah's organization," it was getting harder and harder even for them to justify to non-JW blacks and liberal-minded whites why all the religion's heavies were white. I'm betting Jehovah's spirit will be reaching out and touching someone of Latin surname in the not-too-distant future.)

Irony is, in Barb Anderson's case, they totally misread her easygoing femininity and "quiet and mild spirit" as just another one of the female drones herded about in the congregations and territories before whom they could reveal possibly their vilest crimes with smug confidence she'd do as all JW women are ordered to do---"stay in her place" and "wait on Jehovah."

ROTFLOL!

The disastrous consequences of such an ironic miscalculation regarding this particular woman will ricochet for some time to come. If you are skeptical the old bastards have become less misogynistic before this...

AMNESIAN

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 26 December 2002 15:42:24

• wasasister
    wasasister

Amnesian is quite correct, and you "insider" skeptics should take note.

While a "quite and mild" sister, I was used extensively within the congregation to do cost accounting for remodel and quick build projects, and perform the quarterly congregation accounts audit. The brothers had no one else qualified to perform these tasks.

In a twist of irony, when we changed CO's to an old-school geriatric racist, I still performed these jobs, but my MS husband had to sign the forms - despite the fact that he could barely add two and two. No one questioned his abilities; his only qualification for putting his name at the bottom was a penis (such that it was.)

So, please don't give me any of that "sisters-would-never-be-trusted-with-writing" crap, for that is exactly what it amounts to.

Wasa

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wasasister,

In a twist of irony, when we changed CO's to an old-school geriatric racist, I still performed these jobs, but my MS husband had to sign the forms - despite the fact that he could barely add two and two. No one questioned his abilities; his only qualification for putting his name at the bottom was a penis (such that it was.)

LOL....

Remind me never to marry you, and if I do, to make sure that I leave the lights dimmed.

HS

• wasasister
    wasasister
    Remind me never to marry you, ...

I should be so lucky. You do know my expression was only figurative. I would only speak of the anti-typical penis....

Wasa

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

wasasister:

I still performed these jobs, but my MS husband had to sign the forms - despite the fact that he could barely add two and two. No one questioned his abilities; his only qualification for putting his name at the bottom was a penis (such that it was.)

Just when I get the monitor wiped off from that one ...

You do know my expression was only figurative. I would only speak of the anti-typical penis....

I hope this is the last time I have to clean this thing, in this thread anyway.

AMNESIAN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit