Anything new on Barbara Anderson's case?

by Gamaliel 40 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Can anyone give any details on what to expect next in Barbara Anderson's case?

I just read about the questioning of how a woman got into a researcher position at Bethel. I have a few questions on this myself, based on the level of involvement I've heard claimed. It would have been almost unheard of while I was at Bethel.

My primary job at Bethel was related to illustrating and typography for the publications. However, I rarely saw a woman on the Writing floor or even in any of the Bethel or Gilead libraries, for that matter. Of course, that was back in the late 70's and early 80's. There were probably more, but I knew only one sister at the time who said she wrote an article for Awake! magazine. (It was about brushing your teeth, so I doubt it even needed much editing by the brothers.)

I also knew a sister in an important proofreading position who was therefore involved in certain editing issues that revealed some of the factional thinking going on in the Writing department at the time. I still have most of a revision copy of a JW book manuscript where some edits, corrections and suggested "clarification" is written on almost every page. (Requested edits can be revealing, and sometimes even the foreign translators would need to be involved when only slight differences in English meaning could result in bigger differences when translated.)

Karl Klein gave a presentation once around that time that supposedly showed just how humble the writers had to be, so he chose a manuscript that had gone through a couple rounds of massive surgery-slash-editing. Turns out that this was not really true of the better writers. At least one able brothers at the time rarely had even a single word changed in his typed manuscripts and I understood that this was evidently a point of jealousy for some of the others.

I also did some work at the Branch office in Greece in 1979 and sisters were handling a lot more of the work there at the Branch in Athens, but I have no idea if sisters were allowed any level of involvement in Branch writing, such as certain research assignments they are sometimes asked to do, or those offerings by "Awake! correspendent in [Branch country]."

A personal aside: I was once asked to do some Biblical research for a GB member, but no further such work ever came my way after I failed to find anything supporting what he wanted to prove. However, he kindly continued to let me use his office library for research.

Gamaliel

• metatron
    metatron

I once knew a guy in typesetting who became aware of Writing Dept. factionalism
    during the 70's. There were strong feelings against the idea of marriage and
    childbearing in the New System. The only remaining publication with any reference
    to such was a cheap green and black ink tract called "Life in God's New Order".

As he predicted, they silently changed the wording of the tract to remove any
    reference to childbearing. Later, with the coming of the brown "Kingdom" book
    this got changed again, back to the way it was, with this future childbearing
    taking place.

The reason for this back and forth may have been that wiser heads prevailed,
    since some brothers detected a potential problem with Witness teenagers getting
    married because they viewed it as "now or never".

Amazing how negotiable these doctrines can be, behind the scenes
    Kinda like the blood fraction nonsense.

metatron

• Mulan
    Mulan

Barb told us she wrote the article years ago, on FGM (female genital mutilation). After it was approved, it was sent to an African branch for final proofing, for accuracy. When it was published the article said this "from our correspondent in Nigeria (or whatever country it was)". She didn't expect any credit, but it made it sound like they wrote it. They proofread it and made no adjustments.

I am sure that kind of thing happened all the time.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

metatron,

I'm sure you are right. Even the proofreaders outside of the home office, most of the proofreaders in Factory 1, were sisters and it was pretty obvious that they could read between the line-o-type. In fact, they knew who had written the original articles and usually knew who was responsible for the edits.

Gamaliel

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Mulan,

That's interesting. I agree that it may have happened often. But, then again, how many sisters were like Barbara Anderson? I also suspected that brothers recognized that the sisters in some of the branches were just as capable when it came to quality of writing, and there was no one from HQ looking over their shoulder. It would have been the attitude against sisters "teaching" that had the most influence. The WT always had a screwy explanation for how the faithful and discreet slave, including sisters, were masters of all JC's belongings and yet the fds seemed unfairly represented at HQ, genderwise.

You seem to have had closer contact with Barbara than most of us. Can she tell you anything about the court case? Can you speculate?

Gamaliel

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

This is a story that should be watched

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,73742,00.html

If the judge rules in favor, it will be a precedent used against silentlambs, and related cases.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Gamaliel...........she is keeping mum on this case. Probably at her attorney's request. I don't know anything more.

• Roddy
    Roddy

>>Barb told us she wrote the article years ago, on FGM (female genital mutilation). After it was approved, it was sent to an African branch for final proofing, for accuracy. When it was published the article said this "from our correspondent in Nigeria (or whatever country it was)". She didn't expect any credit, but it made it sound like they wrote it. They proofread it and made no adjustments. <<

I remember that article! It was front page cover story. It shocked me. What a barbaric custom.

So that was her's but she got no credit? That was sad. Very well written! If you get a chance to write her, I convey my congrats. Anyway, at the very least, it gave FGM publicity and awareness among JWs and those that got that Awake article.

Did she write other articles? How about other sisters?

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Isn't it a common practice of the organization to not give individual credit to anything written? Basically, they credit everything to the Faithful and Discreet Slave's direction.

Edited by - whyhideit on 23 December 2002 18:37:52

• Eric
    Eric

Gamaliel says:

You seem to have had closer contact with Barbara than most of us. Can she tell you anything about the court case? Can you speculate?

Oh, I can speculate for you.

FACT: You are a registered member for almost a whole month, and yet you are quickly persuing personal details regarding a legal situation.

SPECULATION: You are a WatchTower mole.

Eric

P.S. Take Roddy with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit