Do not blame the workers in the field

by whyhideit 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The elders in Canada do not share thoughts with elders in Texas, with elders in Florida or elders in New York. So they too, do not know what is happening around the world. Circuit Overseers do not call, and are not encouraged to do so, other Circuit Overseers from around the world to compare notes and ask question. In the case of the elders, Circuit Overseers and other branch positions, the recommended method is to call headquarters and speak to the main offices.

Sounds like the structure of terrorist cells in a terrorist organization. Each cell does not know what the other is doing and can only communicate down. That way if one is compormised, the leadership further up cannot be captured.

Are they really that paranoid? Apparently so.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    The Elders do not know what is happening in every corner of the world, and they are told only what is needed to keep their little space of it happy and progressive. The congregation members, in my opinion, do and say what they do out of a lack of information and not out of malicious intent.

I completely agree. It is easy to assume that, because we use the internet and have educated ourselves, then JWs have the same access and know the same information.

They don't.

After a few years away from "the Truth", we forget how intrenched our faith was in the WTS. They're told how evil and horrible "Apostates" are, and they refuse to listen to anything that does not come from the FDS. Thus, they are ignorant, much like the "sheep without a shepard" that Jesus spoke about.

Most JWs I know are kind, caring people. Their sins are mainly out of ignorance, not maliciousness.

• garybuss
    garybuss

whyhideit, You started a thread titled Do not blame the workers in the field. To blame, by definition, is to assign responsibility. If you drive your car into mine, you are responsible for the damage, not the person or institution that taught you to drive or printed your reading material.

If you snub me by order of Reader's Digest, I could care less about assigning responsibility to Reader's Digest. I am pissed at you. When I was a practicing Witness I liked the high road. When I accepted my own responsibility, I stopped.

Bad behavior is bad behavior and willful ignorance and religious motives do not count. To understand a principle, take it out of context. If a Witness shoots someone and kills them but they are ignorant that the Headquarters held an association with the United Nations they will still be held blamable, or responsible and will be sent to prison. The crimes most Witnesses commit are usually less severe than murder but the principle stays the same.

Am I getting through at all?

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Gary,

I know exactly what you mean, I was just presenting a different view. I enjoy comparing thoughts on subject like this. It teaches us that not everything is as it seems.

Elsewhere,

I don't think I am paranoid, but now you have me wondering, and wondering.

• JT
    JT
    The elders in Canada do not share thoughts with elders in Texas, with elders in Florida or elders in New York. So they too, do not know what is happening around the world. Circuit Overseers do not call, and are not encouraged to do so, other Circuit Overseers from around the world to compare notes and ask question. In the case of the elders, Circuit Overseers and other branch positions, the recommended method is to call headquarters and speak to the main offices.

excellent point just an example is the donation arrangement-

as an elder i thought for sure it was a world wide program till i found out it was due to jimmy swaggant getting the attention of the irs and wt joined in with him

i am willing to bet the farm that when that letter was read every single jw thought 2 things

1. this arrangement was due to the new light from jah to speed up the work, i recall the elder who read the letter was like 70-80 yrs old and he stated at the end-

in all my years in the truth i have seen no clearer sign that we are living in the last days and MUST GET THE PREACHING WORK DONE THAN now when the slave sees the need to GIVE AWAY LITERATURE TO FOLKS

2. EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY WAS DOING IT cause as jw we are UNITED PEOPLE

• Prisca
    Prisca
    EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY WAS DOING IT cause as jw we are UNITED PEOPLE

Not quite.

Australia didn't have the "donation" arrangement until January 2000. Goods & Services Tax (VAT) was introduced to Australia in July 2000. Interesting, eh?

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

So true.....

After I moved here to Japan from the USA to "help" where there was a greater need in an English speaking congregation, many of the elders (all native Japanese, although somewhat proficient in English) asked how things ran in congregations back in the USA. Often times when I concluded a part or offered suggestions, they were in "awe" because of the refreshing difference. I myself, just handled my responsibilites (talks, field service, sheparding calls....) as I was trained to do so. I was puzzled at first, but I now see that they really didn't have the BIG PICTURE........nor did I.

~ Now doing the "submerge" ~ When they look back in line, they'll find my place vacant .

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother "NOT Exerting Vigorously")

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What about the workers who realized they helped to build a bomb,and do nothing about it?..You can only claim innocense for so long...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 21 December 2002 2:5:35

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Outlaw

That is a profound statement, as I think there are a percentage in the organization that know what is happening and remain silent. Worse yet, they practice what they have learned is wrong and do not allow their new found knowledge to change them. As a perspective on this though, we have to remember the central power to the Jehovah's Witnesses organization. That power being, fear. Fear that acting on change could lead to loss of family, friends and if they have not fully accepted otherwise, "the fear that they will loss favor with Jehovah and die at Armageddon." From the point you mention, and what I have seen. This is an example of a spiritual cockroach trap. In which the victim crawls in, drawn by the smell of something sweet and inviting. Yet once they are in deep they are stuck and the escape is no longer possible, without the loss of limbs or life. I could only imagine the mental turmoil and anguish of these people, to know better and yet being afraid to do anything about it. Very sad state of being.

I do think that such a Witness is a minority, and the majority of individuals, congregations and elders know every little of the whole picture.

Edited by - whyhideit on 21 December 2002 12:31:41

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think your post was a very good one.. "whyhideit"... and welcome btw.

The structure of this whole organization has made it very difficult to pin any blame on anyone and it is human nature to need a target for your anger and bitterness.

The elders are the easiest target and most of them are just lost. At the same time, it is these men that directly cause the most harm, whether they are following orders or perceived instructions or not.

I feel most of these men should be familiar enough with the basic concepts of true Christianty to know to some degree when they cross the line, or when they vote against their will to not "rock the boat" and so I find it extremely difficult to say they had no idea at all that "something is just not right".

The higher u go up the ladder, i believe more men know more things are wrong, and yet the higher up the ladder u go, the more men are dependant on the Society for their means of living. To "do the right thing" is to shoot oneself in the head and although dishonorable, human nature is to survive and to go with the flow and hope things will somehow get better.

I don't believe one needs to know the complete "big picture" to know that things are not right. These men are spiritually lazy and cowards if they refuse to be honest and seek answers and solutions to the problems that people in their care are facing.

Yeah they may be men in a factory that don't know they are building a nuclear bomb but if they put 2 and 2 together they should be able to know that they aren't just making stuffed toys for little kids.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit