Home Schooling

by hippikon 31 Replies latest jw friends

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Wow.I really couldn't say it any better than Joannadandy did.Joanna,you will make a fine teacher.Most teachers are drawn to their profession because they love children and want them to have the best education possible.

I certainly don't see the public educational system as failing our children.I do understand that in certain areas there are problems that need to be fixed.I also understand that it varies from district to district.I am fortunate to have my children in a wonderful public school system.How do I know it is a good system?Parental involvement.That is a number one key in ensuring how well our children do in school.This certainly doesn't end at the elemntary level either.Parents need to be involved all the way through to the end of high school.

I have no problem with home-schooling,when it is done properly.This is an ever increasing population,and most people involved with it have their childrens best interests at heart.Many home-schooling parents have a network of others doing the same thing,and they schedule get-togethers for parents and children to swap ideas and such to make it work better.

Unfortunately,when it comes to the JW community of home-schooling,for many I feel it is a cop out.Their main purpose is not education,but to seperate their children from so-called "worldly" influences.How does a child who grows up in that type of enviornment function in the real world?How do they deal with "worldly" people when it is time to go out and get a job and support themselves?If they never have had to deal with defending their faith,how will they deal with it later in life?

I have great admiration for those who home-school their children for the right reasons.I know that I probably wouldn't have enough patience,or the organizational skills required,so I leave it to the professionals.I come from a family of teachers,and I have seen first hand how well they teach our children.I know my children are best off right where they are.It is up to each parent to decide what is best for their children.What ever decisions they make,it is hopefully for the right reasons,and in the best interest of their children.

Those are just my thoughts!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I am very grateful that Homeschooling in not allowed in Germany. Teachers have a lot of influence on their pupils. Imagine you cannot even escape the JW by going to school!

Edited by - GermanJW on 20 December 2002 8:37:36

• Lutece
    Lutece

I homeschooled my daughter for almost five years. I've seen both sides, being a public schooler myself and it all depends on the parent's commitment to their child and balance in their lives. It was a very postive experience for her and she was suited for it. Lots of extra art, traveling and music were included along with visits to friends so that she could "benefit socially". I started working from home more and more and it became impossible to do it well, so she integrated back into the school system.

One thing I worked hard on was making sure it was never a burden to her. I made sure her teachers knew full well how she'd been educated, taking books and records in with me to share with them. Her transition went very smoothly. Socially, she was and is one of the brightest and most well liked in her class. She was head of the pom pon squad this year, student of the month last month and has straight A marks. When I walk into her school to pick her up sometimes, I hear so many kids saying bye to her and talking to her and she seems so popular. I, as a child, was not like that. I was a witness and I was shy, self conscious, etc. I hated middle school. There are so many things to consider when looking into homeschooling and it certainly isn't for parents that aren't prepared for it or who aren't organized.

I've seen the socially unfit homeschoolers some of you talked about. I've also seen bratty, inconsiderate public schooled children that make me wonder if their parents ever talk to them, let alone help with homework or teach them any manners.

It's a personal decision, one that in most states is monitored to at least some degree. Let's please think about how important it is to preserve the freedom of our choice in the matter. I like having options, don't you?

• larc
    larc

joann, I agree with almost everything you wrote. I do have a question on one point. You agreed that the educational system does need a major overhaul. Later, you addressed the "dumming down" statement. Your comment was that students are making the same mistakes from the 50's through the 90's. This may be true, but isn't it also true that average scores on achievement tests declined over those years? I don't know if the curriculum has been dumbed down or not. I can not comment on this point. I think standards have been lowered. Students are passed that should flunk. Perhaps the initiation of standardized proficiency tests is solving this problem. I do think we have a host of societal problems that have produced a poor system, i.e., lack of respect for education and educators, lack of parental involvement, that have contributed to our poor results. By the way, I think a return to the three r's is a good idea. They are essential for functioning well as an adult. I will probably get flamed on that one, but that's OK. I have my asbestos suit on.

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

Well, I just can't stop myself from throwing this is to the mix... My kids are in school now but I plan to homeschool as soon as we get our house. I am sick to death of all the crap that comes with having my kids in public school. My oldest was recently diagnosed autistic, high functioning, but none the less a serious challenge is daily life for this kid.

1st grade, he had a great teacher, she really worked with him and found ways to help him succeed. Last year? Lame teacher, poor kid got worse, did worse and a real stigma got attached to him. It was utterly heartbreaking. This year, great teacher, wonderful, not only works with him but strongly advocates for him. We love her to pieces... but who's he going to get next year? And next? And what about jr high etc?

This kid NEEDS social skills, I am very aware of this. I really feel that school is the exact wrong place for him to try and get them. He needs group therapy designed for kids with his type of challenges, he needs coaching through daily interaction, he needs near one on one instruction. Absolutely there is a need for more, for a real peer group. I have looked into this and there is a home schooling network in my area. The families get together for trips to museums and outings, sports and excersize etc. There is also the option of his attending school part time and homeschooling part time.

For me it has nothing to do with isolation and everything to do with providing my son an educational atmosphere where he can succeed. My kids are both very focused, and are already complaining about not being allowed to really get into a subject as much as they desire. The teachers are always moving on to the next thing and it drives even my kindergartener crazy. I already have a lot of at home research going on so they can get all the info they want. Socialization will be a high priority in their education, so will not killing their love of learning.

peace,
    Witch

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I think if you are going to do it, you have to do it the right way. It takes LOTS of parental involvement. Something the parents in my hall weren't willing to do, and lots of ways for children to socialize. *ahem* aside from field service.

AMEN!! One of the worst mistakes of my life was allowing my daughter to be home-schooled. Other kids in the congregation were doing it, she wanted to pioneer, it seemed like a good idea at the time. So she left public school after 7th grade, and we bought her a high school level curriculum. (Yes, she effectively skipped 8th grade). The local school authorities approved all of this, I think because we had had some conflict with them over their treatment of my daughter and of foster children who lived with us. The problem was that neither I nor my (now ex-)wife had the time to closely supervise what our daughter was doing. As a result, she was poorly motivated to do her work, and never finished the curriculum. Now she's 23, mostly out of the JW's, and working, and I keep pushing her to get a GED and take some college classes so she isn't doing the same work that she dislikes so much when she's my age. But she never seems to find the time. I kick myself every time I think about it. I should have insisted that she stay in school, and pioneer after she graduated if she wanted to.

• target
    target

My son found school to be very stressful and he was sick a lot so after 8th grade I home schooled him. It had nothing to do with him being a JW. He was a naturally outgoing social person and had a lot of friends. He got his diploma at 16 and went on to tech school and is a computer engineer now in Phoenix making $70K+. Not bad for someone in his mid 20s. He also has an internet business that he and his wife run.

I do know some kids that it did not work out for. It depends on the kid, the parents, the school system, the motivation, etc.

It is not a one size fits all either for or against it.

Millie

• Primadonna
    Primadonna

Since I've been lurking about this week I'll toss some of my thoughts in on this subject...

I was homeschooled from 4th grade on till I graduated. I loved it because public school was nothing short of hell for me. physical beatings, constant ridicule, teachers who took their feelings about JW's out on me. it wasn't pretty. I won't bore you with the stories of my siblings horrible time in public school.

Even though my home environment was less than healthy (parents had issues besides being jw's) I am still glad I was homeschooled. It didn't effect me socially in any negative way, all my siblings graduated (except, ironically, the one who went all the way up to her senior year in public school!) One sibling has a college degree. One sibling is a misfit, socially and every other way in life, but he would be that way whether he'd gone to school or not.

My (second) husband was never a JW, grew up entirely in public education and then four years of university, and he loathed every minute of it and swears he can't imagine sending our daughter to public school. he grew up in a different state too so i know it's not just where we live.

My daughter is taught at home (with input from a certified teacher) and she is doing spectacularly. She has play dates during the week to get to be with kids her own age (all of whom are non-jw's) and has a very active social life. She already talks about going to college someday and knows it will happen.

I know there are families who shouldn't homeschool. JW and non. If the parents aren't willing to take on this full time job, then they should send their child to public school. A lot of parents who "homeschool" in the religion call dropping a kid off at the hall for others to take in field service an education. It's not.

So many kids I know who were homeschooled at the same time I was pioneered during their high school aged years instead of learning a trade, and when they married they couldn't support themselves because they had zero job skills. The only ones who have escaped holding several minimum wage jobs are ones who sucked it up and went back for technical training of some sort.

So...imo homeschooling works for my family. But it may very well not work for yours or your neighbors and there are kids who are definitely better off in public school.

Parent's cannot be lazy if they're going to do this, period. Physically, emotionally, or mentally. Or, if they both have to work (I'm a stay at home mom) then obviously homeschooling won't work, kids can't be trusted to do the work unless you keep on them all the time.

• herself
    herself

Home schooling, like anything, must be done with balance. It is a wonderful thing in my opinion. But it can't be done in a way to isolate the child from other children.

I've known several people who have home schooled and it was very successful. They made sure the kids got a well rounded early education, provided lessons in some sport or activity where they were with other kids. One of my friends got her son Karate lessons, another got her son fencing lessons, and another put her daughter into soccer, and another put both of her children into ballet lessons. All of these children were given choices, so they got to learn what really excited them.

They had the additional advantage of many field trips to museums and sites of interest.

Of course the parent who home schools must have an idea of what learning is about, and recognize that a well rounded child means having a well rounded education and a variety of experiences. It can be done, and done a lot better than public schools.

Unfortunately, JW parents too often use home schooling as a means to isolate their children from the "world" and those children develope an emotional handicap.

Don't cast away home schooling out of hand too fast. It's a terrific thing if done well.

H.S.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think one of the problems with home schooling is the lack of interaction with other people. So many personalities, and the kids will have a problem learning the differences and how to react to them.

Private school is an option.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit