Social changes- 50% of British youth think they may be a 'little' bit gay

by fulltimestudent 20 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

50% of British youth think they may be a 'little' bit gay - then I guess the reverse is true: 50% of gay youth are a little bit heterosexual.

Take that, Ben Summerskill!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Maybe now an 'H' (for heterosexual) can be added to LGBT and we can all be one community ...
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

It's probably true of early teens. Back in the day many of my school mates would indulge in same sex relationships, however it was generally regarded as a "make do" stop-gap until a willing female was encountered.

JW boys were no different. Although we were aware that sexual intercourse resulted in disfellowshipping, it didn't occur to anyone that same-sex play was any more serious than masturbation. The WT only talked about fornication, little else.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    snugglebunny: It's probably true of early teens. Back in the day many of my school mates would indulge in same sex relationships, however it was generally regarded as a "make do" stop-gap until a willing female was encountered.
    JW boys were no different. Although we were aware that sexual intercourse resulted in disfellowshipping, it didn't occur to anyone that same-sex play was any more serious than masturbation. The WT only talked about fornication, little else.

Grin!!! - Interesting point, snugglebunny! My gayxjw friend once belonged to a gayxjw group (I think it was called 'Common Bond" or something like that). The members used to swap experiences, and quite a few stories emerged (he says) of future circuit overseers and missionaries, at least allowing another young man to perform oral sex on them. (Bill Clinton's defense was a common concept).

A former Aussie branch overseer told me once that the branch had to send two young men who roomed together home, because they had fallen in love with each other and started having sex together.

I also know of two young Aussie missionaries assigned to Cambodia (thus on their own - i.e. no organisation around them) who 'fell in love with each other.'

That story has a sad ending. One of these men fell sick and died of some infection. With little money, the surviving guy had to dispose of the body of his friend (lover) by the usual method in Cambodia, cremation. He did not have enough money to buy sufficient wood for the fire, so not only had to build the funeral pyre, place his lover on it, and set the pyre on fire. Maybe because he lacked the skill to build the pyre correctly, but more likely because he had not bought enough wood, the body kept slipping out of the fire, and he had to keep pushing it back into the fire. Unsurprisingly, he had an emotional breakdown and returned to Aust. A representative from the Hongkong branch went to Cambodia to end the lease on the (so-called) 'home,' and found some incriminating evidence of their relationship. Confronted in Australia the surviving young man confessed.

And, recently the Percy Chapman story emerged again. I meant to post some much greater detail that has been published online, but did not get around to it.

It all demonstrates the essential truth of the initial report I posted. Human sexuality is not as black and white as the gay/straight dichotomy suggests, or the male/female dichotomy suggests.

Left to themselves without the evil of Christian teachings on human sexuality, humans will (as LoveUniHateExams hopes) cross and re-cross gender lines, in both their sexual and romantic experiences.

• cantleave
    cantleave

What a lot of gay propaganda bullshit.

*Sigh* Why are there so many idiots on this board?

• DJS
    DJS

Cantleave,

"*Sigh* Why are there so many idiots on this board?"

Ditto. The rationals will sooner or later leave - sooner for some of us. Simon will get the type of forum he desires, one way or another.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Umm! Posters like that can be annoying, however in the case of the poster DJS and cantleave are referring to, this topic is so disturbing to them that I suggest something very deep is an issue in their deepest psyche. Therefore I recommend being kind to them, as we don't really know who they are, or what is going on in their lives, or the extent to which their lives have been damaged by Christian ideology,

The issue of same sex attraction clearly causes some people great anguish. Why else would we see the terrible crimes that some homophobes have committed, or the violent, excessive language that is sometimes posted. I'm not sure precisely why that is the case, but think it likely, that since a satisfying sex life has much greater importance in our lives than Christian ideology allows, that the internal psychological rifts brought about by Christian attitudes to same sex attraction causes an emotional state approaching hysteria.

I recall an idea perhaps originating with Michel Foucault. That the causes of hysteria (i.e. exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement ) are to be found in the disorders of a person's pscyo-sexual life.

I cant claim an expert knowledge of Foucault's ideas, but can see where the idea (which I just attempted to express) may take us.

• talesin
    talesin

This is not really surprising. I remember hearing the term "circle jerk" many times in the 70s or 80s, even used in a movie, I'm sure (you know, something like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or Breakfast Club). Of course, that was the 70s/80s, and I was already a teen/20-something apostate and day-yum! an atheist.

It seems that at least in some parts of the West, religionism and homophobia is still rampant? SMDH

• talesin
    talesin

fulltimestudent

Hysteria actually comes from the, I believe Latin word, and means "Womb". The psycho-sexual aspect, I think, follows from that, even pre-Foucault. That is why women were said to be 'hysterical' when they were mostly, just strong willed. (Think of Frances Farmer, for example, and that was in the 40s or 50s!)I have an excellent psych textbook that goes into the origins and oh my, I'll see if it's unpacked, you can check it out on Amazon.

* it's been since I was in junior high that I took Latin for a few years, but those things never leave you. Etymology interests me. Was reading your thread(s) re Daniel and god vs divine. Fascinating, Captain!

: )

From the Online Etymology Dictionary: So, it was Greek ... meh, leave it to such a culture to label women like that, hey? Remember the Spartans? *grins*

hysterical (adj.) Look up hysterical at Dictionary.com
    1610s, from Latin hystericus "of the womb," from Greek hysterikos "of the womb, suffering in the womb," from hystera "womb" (see uterus). Originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus.
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Gotta love the way that Lily Rose Depp (daughter of u know who) expressed herself on her sexuality:

She is quoted in today's issue of the UK Independent, as saying that she 'does not identify as completely heterosexual.'

link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/lily-rose-depp-does-not-identify-as-completely-heterosexual-in-lgbtq-campaign-10469113.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit