Questions for current and former elders re giving evidence

by Mickey mouse 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Supposing you were called to give evidence by an inquiry. How would you answer?

Are you concerned that you may end up being called to give evidence for past involvement in judicial committees to future inquiries?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Who'd want to "reach out" to be an appointed man now?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Totally honestly. Although, thankfully, I was never involved in any paedophile cases and don't know of any locally during my time as an elder.

Are you concerned that you may end up being called to give evidence for past involvement in judicial committees to future inquiries?

Not afraid at all. If anything I would answer so honestly that he WBT$ is shown up to be the filth it really is.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am with punkofnice. No real involvement in any cases, and in my case- too long ago to be worried.

But if I were called now for some old involvement as a prior elder, I would just be as honest as I could be.

"I was following orders, not given complete information. Regardless of what the other elders say, we always reported to Headquarters and they gave directions. As far as I know, the Governing Body has the largest impact on policies."

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I would welcome a law that requires all present and former Watchtower appointed elders to immediately report instances of child molestation they are aware of to secular authorities. They'd get a god-damned earful from me, and they'd be shocked.

• Splash
    Splash

I've never been on any abuse cases, children or otherwise. The only ones I've been on involved consenting adults.

I'd not put myself in opposition to the law but give a full account of everything they asked. This isn't a recent stance, it is something I would always have done.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I'm not an ex elder but I am studying law and I would say if I had a client who was an ex elder I would argue that he should be seen in a similar light to that of an ex addict and or someone who had suffered from a mental health issue. In other words the brainwashing and fear tactics the cult employs cripple one's normal faculties to such an extent that a person does not act as their normal, rational self would. In fact I would say that a serving elder may be seen to be as responsible for their actions as a hostage would. In other words no reasonable person would perceive them as a free agent.

If you think about what the average JW may face loosing should they incur the wtbts displeasure you will begin to understand why the Australian elders were 'throwing themselves under the bus' so to speak. They have a metaphorical gun pointed at their heads', even should they have every sympathy with the aims of the R.C.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Marvin: I would welcome a law that requires all present and former Watchtower appointed elders to immediately report instances of child molestation they are aware of to secular authorities. They'd get a god-damned earful from me, and they'd be shocked.

Do you need a law to require the reporting of a known crime?

If you are aware of a criminal act that was committed in the past, are you not obligated (morally, at least) to report it even if there isn't a "law" to tell you to do so?

I dunno...maybe it is just me...but, I have reported suspected child abusers to the authorities in the past and I won't hesitate to do so again...and there wasn't a law that told me I had to. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I did it because it may have stopped another child from suffering abuse. I did it so that the police could at least put the suspected child abuser on their radar screen.

Just because there isn't a law that specifically requires ex-elders and present elders to go to the authorities with historic child sex abuse, doesn't mean a person can't go and make a statement to the police anyways. For all you know, that statement may be what the police need in order to proceed with an ongoing investigation.

And besides, if it was a historic case, it means that the perpetuator is still at large, and still able to continue victimizing children.

Why wait for a law to be put in place that demands you report a known crime? If a former elder is aware of a child abuse case that wasn't reported to the police, what is holding them back from reporting it now?

Maybe if all the former elders who are aware of a child aubser in the JWs went and made statements to their local police, a child somewhere could be saved from experiencing the same kind of abuse we have heard from the victims who told their stories to the Royal Commission.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    If I may piggy back the OP, what are British elders and ministerial servants told when becoming trustees of a congregation? Is there any formal training or documentation provided to explain legal obligations/roles? Are you signposted to the Charity Commission to research for yourself?
  • Splash
    Splash

There is no process Mephis.

None of my BoE have any clue whatsoever about the legal side of the charity. Becoming an elder is purely about the WT organisation.

The one legal thing they do each year is hold an AGM and announce some figures to the congregation. Because our income is so low we don't even have to report our financials to the Charity Commission.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit