JW's a FRUSTRATED people?

by Smiles 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Smiles
    Smiles

We know that the WT portrays the JW's as a "happy" people. The WT would have the world believe that the WT organization as a whole is a "happy" organization.

But is that "happiness" true, exaggerated or outright false?

Are JW's, in fact, really a FRUSTRATED people?

Besides the ordinary frustrations in life, that persons of any religion or belief experience, such as, health, the economy, making ends meet, etc. And other than the difficulties in trying to be live as a Christian should... do JW's heap further difficulties upon themselves, making themselves increasingly frustrated in life.

For instance, in the JW mind, if your service report is not at least status quo, equal or greater than the national JW average, there is something wrong with you.

If you are not going to all 5 meetings every week, there is something wrong with you.

If you miss a number of meetings because you just did not feel like going or had something else you wanted or had to do, there is something wrong with you.

If you are a JW brother and you are not "reaching out" for privileges and responsibility, there is something wrong with you.

If you a JW brother OR sister and you are retired or just regularly have extra time on your hands and you are not using that extra time to pioneer or increased service, there is something wrong with you.

Basically, if you are not a MODEL JW or trying to be a MODEL JW, you have a bad attitude, you may be considered "spiritually weak" or even "bad association".

Or you may be chastised or even avoided by JW family, JW friends or JW hierarchy. Or worse...

Some here who used to be JW or still are JW may have even found themselves treating others this way.

How can that be healthy for a person, family or any relationship when, in addition to the ordinary frustrations of life, trivial JW matters become a source of frustration?

Most JWs I know are either critical of themselves or their JW family and JW friends because they feel they are not quite doing as much as they should. They will rake themselves or others over the coals with this! They call it "encouragement", but it is often more like verbal abuse or self abuse. They feel they should do MORE or need more faith... You know, they are DEEPLY worried about these kind of trivial JW matters, because they might not 'measure up' at Armageddon.

Yet somehow they still believe that JW's are a "happy" people.

So, back to the question.

Are JWs really a happy people?

Or are the really a needlessly FRUSTRATED people?

• LB
    LB

An old JW buddy of mine recently told me that he tires of going to meetings and being told how screwed up and unworthy he is. That he would love to just be told he's doing pretty good once.

Yep frustrated is a good one.

• jimbob
    jimbob

Smiles.....everything you mentioned is true. We were not happy. Funny thing though.....once we left, we all of a sudden got much happier. I'm sure it was just a coincidence....

• Smiles
    Smiles

LB and jimbob,

Thanks for your posts.

It is saddening to have JW friends and JW family frustrated and unhappy in an organization that is supposed to be happy, full of satisfaction and brilliant hope.

What's worse is that our friends and family are frustrated, disappointed, unhappy and they do not know exactly WHY they feel that way. They just blame themselves for not doing good enough in the eyes of the WT, because they are conditioned to think that way.

I'm glad you LB and you jimbob have found more happiness and content. It's good to hear.

Let's hope other can find the same happiness also.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

And every time you hear something like the words "1975" there's a niggling inside that you're life is being pulled in by the gravity of a quite large mass of crapology.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Dear Smiles,

You wrote:

But is that "happiness" true, exaggerated or outright false?

At first I first was thinking their happiness is exaggerated, but the more I think about it, the more my view is changing to think that the JW happiness is false, a pure lie because the JWs are TOLD they are happy, so they paste on an artificial smile. Anyone disfellowshipped as I am .. just try saying hello to a jw! You will see in an instant how artificial their smile is. From personal experience, when I was JW I pasted on a smile, yet I was in fact feeling quite depressed.

• JW philosphy teaches: If their service report is not at least equal to the national average, they are not good enough, so they wont make it into the kingdom.
    • JW philosphy teaches: If they miss any of the five meetings in the week, they are neglecting their spirituality, thus they lack appreciation for sacred things. Therefore they are not good enough, so they wont make it into the kingdom.
    • JW philosphy teaches: If they miss a number of meetings, their spiritual priorities are out of whack besides their lack of appreciation for spiritual things . they are for sure gonna die at Armageddon!
    • JW philosphy teaches: If brothers dont reach out for privileges, they are probably controlled by some vice that is holding them back. Of course this means a death sentence at Armageddon!
    • JW philosphy teaches: Retired people automatically sign the pioneer sheet if they are any kind of JW, otherwise they will die an earlier death, or for sure die at Armageddon.
    • JW philosphy teaches: Anyone with a bad attitude is spiritually weak and it is their own fault Automatic death at Armageddon.
    • JW philosphy teaches: Marked, Irregular, Inactive, DAd, DFd ones get the automatic death penalty.

Hmmmm let me think . If these who used to be JW are here on the forum, they are probably feeling sorry for treating others badly or for judging others these ones have repented and are in line for blessings!!!!!! Cool!!!!!

It is my opinion and personal experience that JWs are encouraged to remain in their dysfunctional fear states and not DARE to do anything to change things, lest they step on the toes of an elder body and find themselves disfellowshipped in a hurry.

You wrote:

Most JWs I know are either critical of themselves or their JW family and JW friends because they feel they are not quite doing as much as they should. They will rake themselves or others over the coals with this! They call it "encouragement", but it is often more like verbal abuse or self abuse. They feel they should do MORE or need more faith... You know, they are DEEPLY worried about these kind of trivial JW matters, because they might not 'measure up' at Armageddon.

AKA: Blame others and should them to death. By that I mean, You should do this! and You should do that! or I should be doing more of this! and I should be doing more of that! Other well-used whipping words in the JW vocabulary are have to need to .. supposed to.

It takes a period of time, even after being out of the jws for awhile, to recover from this fear propaganda. A new belief system must be learned before healing will take place.

There, I said my peace.

Your Sis,

Esther

ESTEE_TX

• Smiles
    Smiles

Estee_TX,

Your observations are right on. Sad but true facts.

Fear of not making it into the JW Paradise Earth, or the fear of being killed at Armageddon is a cruelty JW's inflict upon themselves and others.

Who could ever be happy with that kind of threat hanging over them?

You are right, JW's believe they are a happy people because they are TOLD they are a happy people. Brainwashing? Mind contriol?

If they could be honest with themselves, without fearing damnation and death, they would probably realize it is an artifical happiness.

Good post Estee_TX.

• Skeptically Yours
    Skeptically Yours

Smiles,

I consider them, well 'ourselves' really since I'm still an active JW, no happier or more frustrated than any one group of people.

It's a very different lifestyle and quite different belief system but, should anyone choose to live by their rules, still they'll continue to be people.... with feelings, challenges, struggles, you know, daily ups and downs.

Plenty of people quite happy with their choice to be witnesses that play according to their 'rules', and others such as myself find happiness playing the 'double life' balancing act game, and yet others find said happiness leaving the religion.

Happiness is where people find it!

Take care!

• Smiles
    Smiles

Skeptically Yours,

Read this quote from the WT. And see what impression it might give:

Watchtower 1975 January 15, page 60

Pursuing a Satisfying Way of Life

"Yes, our everyday experiencesat home, at our place of secular work, at school, in our daily contacts with others - should give evidence that our life is more satisfying than it was before we began obeying Gods Word of truth. That should especially be our desire in view of the wholesome effect fine conduct can have on sincere observers."

Everyday, you should portray to the world that you are MORE happy and satisfied than ever before, because of what other people might think...

And if you do not "give evidence" of your extraordinary happiness and satifaction, there must be something wrong with you and you are not a good JW...

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Dear Smiles,

Your quote:

Watchtower 1975 January 15, page 60 Pursuing a Satisfying Way of Life ---- "Yes, our everyday experiences at home, at our place of secular work, at school, in our daily contacts with others --- should give evidence that our life is more satisfying than it was before we began obeying ..

HAHAHA!!!!!!!! There is that SHOULD word . Again!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny!!!!!! JWs SHOULD be happy !!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing that quote!

Love ya!

Sis,

Esther

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit