What Was THE Straw That Broke Your "Camel'...

by Francois 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Francois
    Francois

There are lots of outrageous things that have happened to each of us in our longer or shorter association with the Jay-Dubs. But it's amazing sometimes what teeny things have been the final straw.

Being raised as a JW, I swallowed most stuff whole my entire life. Then, as a teen began to question some things, but waited patiently for Jehovah to straightened things out. I listened to grand debates about sisters wearing pants suits or not, brothers wearing wide ties, narrow ties, bow ties, or anyone wearing steel rim glasses, or rimless glasses, or bell-bottem pants, boots instead of shoes, and other spiritually vital absurdities.

Went off to college (how 'bout that!), and after graduation decided to grow a beard. Had always wanted one, so I did it. I was so naive, I wasn't aware there would be a problem. Well.

I had my platform privileges revoked.

"Why?" I wanted to know. "What is the scriptural basis of this action where you attempt to override my conscience with your platform regulations?"

"This restriction is organizational," they said, "not scriptural."

"Organizational? What scripture allows you the authority to override my conscience in this matter with your platform requirements?"

Couldn't come up with an answer to that one. So I began to question more and more things. And when pressed for answers, the elders could come up with no scriptural basis for what they were doing. But with a straight face claimed they had the right to replace my conscience with their conscience. Not so fast, I said, this kind of passive acceptance of the violation of my conscience is exactly what you give rank and file Catholics all that hell for, asking them how come they don't tell the priests to go pound sand.

"We're different," they said, "we speak for Jehovah."

"Right," I said, "and I'm the virgin mary. Be seein' ya."

They sneaked around, peekin' in my windows for three years after I stopped going to the Kingdom Hall, and finally someone saw me smoking and I got a ride on the "ship." Doesn't that just take the cake? What incredible small-mindedness. It was exactly like being fired three years after you quit your job.

But there it is: the straw that broke the camel's back for me. The wholly innocent desire to grow a beard. Oh, by the way, two of the elders who came to my house to conduct their little inquisition had moustaches, and one of them was drunker than a priest, and one of the ones with the moustache had a cleaning business and as a part of that had an electric meter he used to steal electricity with when he showed up at an apartment to clean where there was no electricity. How 'bout them apples?

What's your straw??????

Best,

Francoise

• ridgerunner57
    ridgerunner57

Same straw. I too went through this incredible saga. I was a full time pioneer on my way to Bethel when I decided I would look better with a beard. They told me the scriptural reason for not allowing them is because beards were a fad and a sign of rebellion (like those damn hippies!). Anyway, I told my parents they could shave my carcass after Armageddon and went on to other things...just me and my beard!

• larc
    larc

The first and last straw was when I read Russell and Rutherford's books - need I say more?

This summer the JWs are having three conventions in my city. I think I will drop in for a visit. They will know that I am an outsider, because I have a beard. My wife likes it close cropped, but I think I will let it get thick and scruffy, so I look like a mountain man when I show up. Maybe if I show up in really old cloths, they will share their big macs and fries with me. What do you think?

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Larc,
    Perhaps the loving brothers of your city would be so gracious, but here they would just say ...my how we need the new system and let you starve!

S

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Oh this is like shooting fish in a barrel........

the straw....hmmmmmm...well i could say the refusal of the HEAD Cheeses to counsel my parents on their relationship , as my father was a prominent elder , and they barely spoke(he and Mom) and then the elders were surprised when pops resigned...and even encouraged him not to.....
    .but nope...not that one........
    .I could say it was at a certain crossroads of my brothers life , when he was inactive for years ,and my moms told the elders he was celebrating christmas.......and he got the ax.........
    ... but no not that one....
    ....It could be the general busybody nature many witnesses have , and dont heed the words of Jesus to Peter and concern themselves with themselves.
    ..but NOPE.....
    ... It could have been the comment made by an elder, "ya know I am getting tired to...tired of waiting for the new system............."
    nope.......

just one thing...reading the bible...thats it..... reading it and seeing they dont follow it......... its suppose to be the core of their belief, and it doesnt happen.
    If you Examine all their beliefs few if any hold any water....

Bible is God's Word and is truth 2 Tim. 3:16, 17
    2 Pet. 1:20, 21
    John 17:17

Yes his word is, but they dont follow it.....

Bible is more reliable than tradition Matt. 15:3
    Col. 2:8
    Evidently this is true........yet they follow the traditons of men

God's name is Jehovah Ps. 83:18
    Isa. 26:4, AS
    Isa. 42:8, AS
    Ex. 6:3
    Well we know there is no J in the hebrew language..... Sorry its Yahweh..Proper.names dont change per language

Christ is God's Son and is inferior to him Matt. 3:17
    John 8:42
    John 14:28
    John 20:17
    1 Cor. 11:3
    1 Cor. 15:28
    THis is true, but they are one, and Jesus is running the show at this point , and has been since the beginning.......except for a brief 33 1/2 yr period.

Christ was first of God's creations Col. 1:15
    Rev. 3:14
    OK they get one!

Christ died on a stake, not a cross Gal. 3:13
    Acts 5:30
    Perhaps evidently..but really does it matter....isn't the point that he died as a criminal , a blasphemer the point.....

Christ's human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans Matt. 20:28
    1 Tim. 2:5, 6
    Titus 2:14
    1 Pet. 2:24
    You mean this is what they believe, i thought he died for JWS only ...for gods spirit annointed org...isn't that what they teach?

Christ's one sacrifice is sufficient Rom. 6:10
    Heb. 9:25-28
    If its sufficient why do we need this JW organization.....

Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person 1 Pet. 3:18
    Rom. 6:9
    Rev. 1:17, 18
    Ok but if he is the firstborn of the dead , as he was of all creation... raised in spirit, why did he tell thomas look at the holes in my hands........ ANY ONE ~seen~ a spirit LATLEY?

While I know he is a spirit person :) , but if this is how he ended up after being human and then ressurected..what clue is there that ones ressurected later would not be the same........

Christ's presence is in spirit John 14:19
    Matt. 24:3
    2 Cor. 5:16
    Ps. 110:1, 2

Ok thats # 2..that is correct.......

Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace Isa. 9:6, 7
    Isa. 11:1-5
    Dan. 7:13, 14
    Matt. 6:10
    Just Earth?.hmmmmmmm ...dont tell the ressurected ones......they will just go their own way....... where ever they end up.......

Kingdom brings ideal living conditions to earth Ps. 72:1-4
    Rev. 7:9, 10, 13-17
    Rev. 21:3, 4
    Ideal living conditions?........well we have had them.........
    man ruined them........so are we to no longer have free will at some point? what was not ideal about Adams conditions, Noahs?

Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated Eccl. 1:4
    Isa. 45:18
    Ps. 78:69
    Depopulated........well ok I am sure the dinosaurs read this too!

God will destroy present system of things in the battle at Har–Magedon Rev. 16:14, 16
    Zeph. 3:8
    Dan. 2:44
    Isa. 34:2
    Yes yes..ok....see dinosaur comment........

Wicked will be eternally destroyed Matt. 25:41-46
    2 Thess. 1:6-9

.? hmmmmm eternally burning , everlasting destruction and ceasing to be is two different things.....you may not be in a favorable position but I see no END.......

People God approves will receive eternal life John 3:16
    John 10:27, 28
    John 17:3
    Mark 10:29, 30
    God approves of........?..I see believe in him..but isnt that referring to the son......Is not the son in charge of all things now?

There is only one road to life Matt. 7:13, 14
    Eph. 4:4, 5
    Yes one road...... I never seen the address of Brooklyn
    there...anyone?

We are now in the 'time of the end' Matt. 24:3-14
    2 Tim. 3:1-5
    Luke 17:26-30
    NOw we are.... and we were in 1879 , 1890, 1900 1914 , 1919, 1931, well you get the idea.......I know we are....... and where there is an end there is a beginning....... see dinaosaurs.......

Human death is due to Adam's sin Rom. 5:12
    Rom. 6:23
    And I thought it was a spiritual death he died.....?

The human soul ceases to exist at death Ezek. 18:4
    Eccl. 9:10
    Ps. 6:5
    Ps. 146:4
    John 11:11-14
    SOUL?........which death..the physical one or spiritual one?

Hell is mankind's common grave Job 14:13, Dy
    Rev. 20:13, 14, AV (margin)
    And we care about this because?..seems to me your just going home...it is where your BODY came from!

Hope for dead is resurrection 1 Cor. 15:20-22
    John 5:28, 29
    John 11:25, 26
    I thought the hope was faith in Jesus...ressurection is the evidence of it......the prize........

Adamic death will cease 1 Cor. 15:26
    Rev. 21:4
    Isa. 25:8
    WIll?..... THE ransom has already been paid..........done deal
    Our SPiritual death is now lifted......

Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ Luke 12:32
    Rev. 14:1, 3
    1 Cor. 15:40-53
    Rev. 5:9, 10
    See revelation 7:9....

The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God 1 Pet. 1:23
    John 3:3
    Rev. 7:3, 4
    what a perfect number ......we are all born again since the ransom was for all of us...... since adam lost it for all of us....

Prayers must be directed only to Jehovah through Christ John 14:6, 13, 14
    1 Tim. 2:5
    Funny when asked how to pray ,....Jesus never once said JEHOVAH..he said father.......abba

Images must not be used in worship Ex. 20:4, 5
    Lev. 26:1
    1 Cor. 10:14
    Ps. 115:4-8
    Is a BOOK an image?

Spiritism must be shunned Deut. 18:10-12
    Gal. 5:19-21
    Lev. 19:31
    Well talk to the editor of the golden age -woodward?

Satan is invisible ruler of world 1 John 5:19
    2 Cor. 4:4
    John 12:31
    Ok .....and?

A Christian must have no part in interfaith movements 2 Cor. 6:14-17
    2 Cor. 11:13-15
    Gal. 5:9
    Deut. 7:1-5
    Interfaith and not believing in christ is that the same?

A Christian must keep separate from world Jas. 4:4
    1 John 2:15
    John 15:19
    John 17:16
    You mean they would not be worried about lawsuits, corporations, charitable annuities(time of the end after all), or even research in bloodless surgery?

All human laws that do not conflict with God's laws should be obeyed Matt. 22:20, 21
    1 Pet. 2:12
    1 Pet. 4:15
    Ya ok....... see the post about when there is a serious crime (murder, rape)elders should call the society..not local authorities
    -------------------
    Taking blood into body through mouth or veins violates God's laws Gen. 9:3, 4
    Lev. 17:14 see below
    Acts 15:28, 29

Lev 17:15 And every soul that eateth that which died [of itself], or that which was torn [with beasts, whether it be] one of your own country, or a stranger, he shall both wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even: then shall he be clean.
    So all you need to do is shower after and your clean...WOW!
    ------------------------------
    Bible's laws on morals must be obeyed 1 Cor. 6:9, 10
    Heb. 13:4
    1 Tim. 3:2
    Prov. 5:1-23
    Well then maybe the FDS should read the bible.......

A clergy class and special titles are improper Matt. 23:8-12
    Matt. 20:25-27
    Job 32:21, 22
    Tell the governing body........... anyone had any feet washing lately?

Christ set example that must be followed in serving God 1 Pet. 2:21
    Heb. 10:7
    John 4:34
    John 6:38
    he never placed a watchtower or an awake........

Baptism by complete immersion symbolizes dedication Mark 1:9, 10
    John 3:23
    Acts 19:4, 5
    Dedication to whom?

Christians must give public testimony to Scriptural truth Rom. 10:10
    Heb. 13:15
    Isa. 43:10-12
    Well perhaps this should be written in a letter to ALL elders regarding Pedophiles.......

1984 "The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hundreds of millions of people. Any organization that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism." {AWAK Aug 22 1984 28}

and here is their statement of proof for an org to provide salavation.......
    do they stand up?

NOPE
    so as i said I read the bible.
    S

S

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Beard here too.

After 6 years of constant beatings from my fellow slaves due to "rebelliously" keeping my beard, the discouragement finally allowed me to see clearly. With help from several prominent posters at Witnet, the scales finally fell off my eyes.

Wish I had followed my gut about the beard from the start.

Just yesterday a bro who found out I am now inactive tried to posit that the beard thing is reasonable; a line has to be drawn somewhere, doesn't it?

I could barely breath under the weight of his stupidity.

I guess the beard was really the many pounds of straw that had been piled on my back. "The straw" was the blood issue. I finally saw just how 180 degrees opposite from a reasonable interpretation of the Bible it was.

And that was it.

• ridgerunner57
    ridgerunner57

This thread is bringing back some lurking memories. I remarried about 2 years ago. My wife was curious about the JW philosophy. I took her to a couple of meetings. She got to see shunning at its finest! That was when I discovered the change on blood. I also found out about the outright lies being told in regards to Bulgaria, etc. I originally left because of beards. I'm staying away because of the unbelievable organizational about faces. New light my ass!

• Francois
    Francois

Hello Ridgerunner and all: Yep, you could call 'em aboutfaces, flip-flops, whatever. I like callin' 'em what they are without rhetorical varnish: lies!

And as for fads, well. I notice that it's OK to follow a dead fad, yesterday's fad, you just can't follow a current fad. When pale blue dress shirts were just coming in, it was OK to wear white ones, but not blue ones. After awhile, it was OK to wear the blue ones, but not the white ones with the blue collar. And on, and on, and on....

And of course you can immediately see the full-blown spiritual impact of this heart-stopping debate. The issue here was really all about whether or not you were willing to let them pull your strings, not about what you were wearing. It was about allowing them to control you, just as control is the central issue in ALL dysfunctional relationships.

As noted elsewhere: You can't be walked on unless you lie down first.

• RR
    RR

Good question, but I don't have a camel, so I have no need for straw!

• ridgerunner57
    ridgerunner57

Francoise, how long were you in for? I distinctly remember some rules very close to your shirt ones. In order to maintain your "Privileges " you must:
    Brothers must get their hair cut every 3 weeks.
    Sisters may not allow their skirts to pull past their knee.
    Brothers must not allow their sideburns past the middle of the ear.
    Brothers hair line should not touch the collar.
    These rules were read to us word for word from the platform!
    In retrospect it all cracks me up but on the other hand it's amazing how much it still influences my life in a bad way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit