Gave blood today for the first time!

by Viviane 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• TD
    TD

Anyway, still doing some firsts after life as a JW. This one was giving back and felt really good!

Well done, Viviane.

A high point for me was when JW's came by (What do they call it? Business territory?) right in the middle of a donation.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Thanks TD. Now that I am on their list, I am giving blood again next month. You can only donate every 90 days. An upside is that I also now know my blood type!
  • TD
    TD

I also now know my blood type!

Yes. Another cool thing is finding out whether you are cytomeglovirus negative or not (Which makes your blood safer for babies)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am B+ , which is kind of my philosophy on life "Be Positive !".

Marvin Shilmer's thread on donation is interesting, J.W's can donate ! at least in the U.S.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Now that I am on their list, I am giving blood again next month. You can only donate every 90 days. An upside is that I also now know my blood type!

Excellent. Last year I received 6 bags of blood following a sudden haemorrhage. The blood saved my life. Unfortunately, once you've received a blood transfusion you are permanently banned from donating, something to do with the risk of infection being multiplied.

Any ex who really wants to leave his old religion totally behind could do no better than to donate blood. I'm of the opinion that the universe loves gestures of this type. Do it and be damned, all it takes is courage!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Viviane, thank you on behalf of those of us whose lives have been saved by blood products.

snugglebunny, what country are you in that prohibits you donating because you got a transfusion? In the US, you typically need to wait only 1 year.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Thanks! I am happy to help. It's amazing to me how much civic responsibility and contributing mean when you've been denied it your entire life.
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    snugglebunny, what country are you in that prohibits you donating because you got a transfusion? In the US, you typically need to wait only 1 year.

I'm in the UK. The NHS states: As a precautionary measure to reduce the risk of transmitting vCJD, the human form of BSE, (mad cow disease!) people who have received a blood transfusion since 1980 are not currently able to donate blood.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    As a precautionary measure to reduce the risk of transmitting vCJD, the human form of BSE, (mad cow disease!) people who have received a blood transfusion since 1980 are not currently able todonate blood.

Thanks, Obama!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Obama?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit