Toddler missing near Kingdom Hall

by Swan 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Swan
    Swan

This was from today's StatesmanJournal.com. FYI: There is a Kingdom Hall at the corner of Sunnyside Road and Mildred Lane.

Here is the link with photos: http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=53453

Here is the story text:

Toddler missing in South Salem

DIANE STEVENSON / Statesman Journal

Kristin and Mike Hartman search the area around Valleywood Drive SE where 2-year-old Travis Adams was reported missing Sunday.

Volunteers help police search for a 2-year-old who slipped away from his family.

DAN DE CARBONEL
    Statesman Journal
    December 16, 2002

A 2-year-old boy became the focus of a massive search Sunday night after he was reported missing from a South Salem home.

Police and dozens of volunteers scoured the Morningside Neighborhood near Sunnyside Road and Mildred Lane SE after the boy, Travis Adams, first was noticed missing at 6:10 p.m.

The temperature was in the 40s with heavy rain and gusting winds.

A 2-year-old in these conditions, were very concerned about it, said Lt. Dave Okada of the Salem Police Department.

The toddler, 3 feet 3 inches tall, weighs 40 pounds and was wearing a gray sweatshirt with dark blue pants. He has blue eyes and blond hair in a buzz cut.

At least 40 neighbors headed into the streets with raincoats and flashlights to search for Travis.

Weve been looking under bushes, under shrubs, for any signs of clothing or any indication of where he might be, searcher Gail Ripp said.

If it was my son I know Id want people out looking for him, said one man who declined to give his name.

The Marion County Search and Rescue Team conducted an areawide search for the boy.

Police did not know if the child was abducted or simply lost. They contacted his biological parents late Sunday, and Okada said there were no signs of foul play.

Police did not know what circumstances led to the boys removal from his birth residence.

Travis joined his foster family in northeast Salem several months ago. They had just arrived at their friends home at 875 Valleywood Drive SE when Travis slipped out of sight.

Police said they were following multiple leads late Sunday night and were considering issuing one of the states first Amber Alerts. Oregons Amber Alert, created in November, uses telephone hotlines and highway reader boards to broadcast information about missing children.

It is patterned after the system created in Texas after the 1996 kidnap and murder of Amber Hagerman, who was 9 years old when she disappeared.

Dan de Carbonel can be reached at (503) 399-6714.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK, What am I missing. I see no mention of a Kingdom Hall in the Article. Did I overlook it, or do you just know the area. Is your implication by the title that a Witness had something to do with the disappearance? I don't like the Society at all, but this kind of nonsense is over the top. If there's no connection, why try to make one.

• Scully
    Scully

With such close proximity to the Kingdom Hall, I wonder just how many JWs will help with the search for this child.

My guess? A big fat ZERO.

Love, Scully

• Kismet
    Kismet

Being fair... One time there was a child reporting missing in Georgetown Ontario. This is the town wherein the Canadian Branch is located.

Bethel sent out about 100 Bethelites to assist in the search, especially in the ravine areas on the one side of the property.

I am not saying this is the normal procedure but it did happen once. I would also like to think that individual JW's might help out but it would definitely not be a JW coordinated or sponsored search.

Like Yeru, I don't see the JW tie-in to this report. Innuendo is not factual and does not help.

Kismet

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

again, I'm looking for something in the article that mentions Kingdom Halls or JW's. Am I missing something? Swan, do you know this area and thus know that it's near a kingdom hall?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Yes the KH is right on the corner near a rather well traveled road. We used to live about a mile from there, though didn't go to that hall. It was a rural area a few years ago but has really been overdevelped, lots of hills and creeks through there, and sink holes. That is so tragic!!!!!

Ven

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

That is so sad!..I know your mind goes crazy when you read something like this. Just thinking the worst. We have had 2 small children dissapear here in Mo. recently. One was found killed and the other has never been found. The first one was found by a Meth lab. Way in the country not far from the home they were visiting. A guy (druggie)staying at the home is the one that abducted the child and killed him.

The second one dissapeared without a trace.

This is somethng I always feared when I had small children. Now I worry about my grandchildren!. ...

You have to watch them constantly!..I guess we will have a bunch of paranoid kids running around eventually...with good reason!

Snoozy....

• rocky220
    rocky220

Back in the 50's early 60's, I too at that age was a "wanderer" but good ol' mom used a device that seem a little harsh , but in reading this post it would have helped the sister immensely, it was a type of harness strap made of soft material around the chest area with a leash attached to the back, and let me tell you, out on public, in a mall, assembly, anywhere a little sprinter can get lost in a crowd, it would stop disapearances from happening.So you see this device is far from cruel!!!!...rocky220

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Regarding the JWs getting out the help...

At first they will all be apprehensive about interacting with "worldly" people.

If someone in a leadership position suggests that help be offered, you will have a stampede of people wanting to help.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

At the link that Swan provided above, at the end of the story is Today's News... See the story "Body found in creek may be missing Salem boy." That is a tragic ending for this little boy or another one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit