Talk: JWs are not go to a gym???

by WingCommander 18 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT
    That's the problem when some elder has to publicly go off on a pet peeve. Does this mean the gym at Bethel will be closed?

don't speak to soon karl klien had threaten to close it down and convert it to a library when i was at bethel- too many hours were being spent in the gym-- the compromise was they took dowm the mirrors so the weight lifters could not look at themseleves

he stated that folks were becoming narcissitic

yes wt always dogs it's members

• Mary
    Mary

Our Hall is the opposite: the elders see nothing wrong with the sisters going to the gym to workout, presumably because there's a few elders that are dirty old men and spend all their time learing at the sisters. However, the brothers were cautioned about working out and the CO actually made the statement "can you see Jesus going to Gold's Gym?" Asshole. The reason the elders don't want the younger brothers working out at the gym, is because our elders are a bunch of fat bodies and they don't want the younger guys lookin' better than they do.........

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

We had this one guy here a while back who would just come out and say "I'm hot, I'm ripped". No stories, no nuthin'. Then he turned gay and became a fashionista.

• no one
    no one

Oh ye brothers and sisters of the 'buffed and ripped' class, is it not written at Lev. 3:16-17 that "All the fat belongs to Jehavah" and that we "must not eat any fat...at all"?

So let us eat, drink, and be pudgy.

• ballistic
    ballistic

The sisters here in the UK were admonished about topless sun bathing in our congregation as this is all the rage on the south coast beaches of England at the moment.

Some sisters made the boob of appearing half naked, which obviously got on the elders tits.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... tits

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

We had this same talk given a couple times. I think it was partly because of the CO at the time starting it. In our hall, a bunch of the sisters were in to working out. Several all attended an all female gym that I worked at. One Saturday a month we'd get together and do an 8 mile hike. The CO said we could be using the time spent working out to pursue spiritual interests. Funny, out of 8 of the sisters, 5 were regular pioneers. One sisters, with a particulary nice, 'ripped' body was constantly being leered at bythe the elders who condemned 'wasting time' working out.

• LB
    LB

I see several JW's working out at the gym I belong to. I guess they don't want to wait for the system to end before they get healthy. Two of them are elders wives.

I think that's just a local deal and the personal opinion of certain elders or CO's.

Edited by - LB on 16 December 2002 12:43:10

• heathen
    heathen

That is pretty shocking to hear . I am aware of an elder that they called superman because he was a pretty big guy due to going to the gym at bethel .I really can't see why the gym is demonized . There is nothing better for a person then diet and excercise . I feel like a new man when I leave the gym .As far as the women going to the gym now I could understand the wearing of the tight clothes and bending and stretching in front of men being considered unchristian like but there is always the cosmopolitan lady gym they can attend. I know some of the girls at the gym deliberately try to tease the men and believe me it is very embarrassing at times lol .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit