Talk: JWs are not go to a gym???

by WingCommander 18 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Hello all:

I remember just a few short years back at my old congregation, there were a few younger brothers and sisters joining gyms and going to work out. Well, I guess the elders found out that everyone's free time wasn't being spent pioneering, so a talk (down to) was given one Sunday on "not letting worldy pursuits take your eyes off the prize" or some shit like that.

The whole talk was about how we should devote all time to the WTS and field service, and that going to or belong to a gym was just a worldly pursuit and that it was just making or bodies "showy". Also, we were told that going to a gym was not necessary, as we would have perfect bodies in the New System. I absolutely was floored!! So I guess that whole, "your body is a temple" quote from the Bible is just shit, right? Let yourself go, eat, drink, and do field service, for tomorrow is Judgement Day. Don't worry about disease, the WTS doesn't, and they won't either when you die of cancer or obesity from too many lunch breaks on Saturdays.

I couldn't believe it, we are expected to dress like Princes and Princess' on meeting days, but it doesn't matter if you are a fat, unhealthy, slob? Just don't take any time away from field service, etc. Of course, all of the nieve little WT robots stopped going to their gym then. As for me, I'll just stay ripped, as God wanted me to be, in His image. The hole notion that they would devote an hour to why we shouldn't go to a gym (or anything else besides WT crap) was just amazing to me. Anyone visiting the Cong. that was interested, probably would have walked out. Imagine, having an Org. tell you what you can and can't belong to, or how you can and can't take care of YOUR own body.

WIng Commander

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Around here it was okay for brothers to work out - then a group of sisters decided to go - that got the elders going and they banned it saying the sisters would end up running off with the hunks at the gym. Apparently woman only use gyms to cruise.

• ugg
    ugg

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jack2
    jack2

Yeah, sounds very typical. They see "danger" in every little activity, and spending time doing something on a regular basis besides being out in service is looked at as a threat to "spirtuality".

It also gets me how they then make a "rule" about sisters going to the gym, when in fact they have no such authority (and even put that into print). But as we all know, what appears in print seldom translates into real life application.

Edited by - jack2 on 16 December 2002 8:44:54

• JT
    JT
    Yeah, sounds very typical. They see "danger" in every little activity, and spending time doing something on a regular basis besides being out in service is looked at as a threat to "spirtuality

good point,it is usually done under the umbrella of THE BRO ARE LOOKING OUT FOR US and when that is given as the reason rarely will any jw say anything beyond a whisper,

no one will raise their hand during the wt study and comment that the bro should not be telling folks they can't have a membership at Golds Gym-

it is once again another example of the 2 types of rules that all jw live by

WRITTEN AND UNWRITTEN RULES

• Room 215
    Room 215

Basically, the unspoken rule is: In Dubland, it's always Politically Correct to say ``No"" to everything except serivce, meetings and study. And the more personally rewarding the activity, the more strenuously it's criticized.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

that alwayz got me, I'm sposed ta appreciate the life and bod god gave me, even "respect life" so much I'm willing to die without taking blood...but bodily training iz beneficial for only a little. i'm sposed ta present my body to god, "a sacrifice, living, holy" but i'm damned if i exercise to keep said bod healthy and in shape.

The witness religion turns the scripture "put the kingdom first" into "put the kingdom first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and only, OR ELSE yer damned."

• Room 215
    Room 215

Basically, the unspoken rule is: In Dubland, it's always Politically Correct to say ``No"" to everything except serivce, meetings and study. And the more personally rewarding the activity, the more strenuously it's criticized.

• benext
    benext

That's the problem when some elder has to publicly go off on a pet peeve. Does this mean the gym at Bethel will be closed?

• blondie
    blondie
    "What of the Roman baths?" "Huge establishments that included massage rooms, gymnasiums, gaming rooms, and places to eat and drink."

Does this sound like exercise clubs? I can remember a special needs talk given about the dangers of going to gyms or exercise clubs. It seems that a married sister went to one, met a non-witness, and ran off with him.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41440&site=3

I commented on this about the WT article studied on 12-1-02.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit