Athiests and Christmas?

by clash_city_rockers 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

I was just thinking. Since Christmas is about the birth of Christ, I know Dec 25 was not his birthday, probly born around late Sept or early Oct. I guess he wanted to be born right before the baseball playoffs and World Series, just kidding.

It was the early Christian church that appointed Dec 25th. Anyways is their any atheist out there that celebrates Christmas? Is it not a contradiction of your Dogmatic Atheism, since the intention of Christmas has to do with God and Jesus Christ? When you celebrate Christmas, are you not borrowing capitol from those Theistic Christians? Is not celebrating Christmas a dialectical tension to your atheistic worldview. Is not celebrating the 1st coming of God the son in human flesh inconsistent with your atheistic dogma? Or do you athiest refuse to celebrate Christmas just like the JWs refuse to celebrate Christmas??????????????

I would like to get your input

Smiles,

jr

Edited by - clash_city_rockers on 16 December 2002 4:38:59

• Prisca
    Prisca

It would seem rather silly for an atheist to be singing "Joy to the World" or "Hark the Angels Sing", wouldn't it?

• hippikon
    hippikon

Personaly I've never been one for christmas stuff - I just go allong with it for the sake of the family. I think it's good to expose them to culture. And besides the kids will be realy pissed of with Santa and find out what a lying toad he is when he dosn't bring the bike he promised !

• donkey
  • Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My husband is athiest, and I'm agnostic. We celebrate it, but with no religious undertones. Just a good family day.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Ah... The athiest can only supply pragmatism for this defence for celabrating Christmas. Christmas violates athiesm!

Even Donky has to capitulate to the truth of Christian thiesm when he celebrated christmas. I guess these people don't think athiesm is true after all.

From Donkey's post whe get this triumph endorsment of Christianity

But when I am decorating my Christmas tree, and listening to, say, Bach's Christmas Oratorio,

Yes the great Lutherean Bach and his masterful Christ Centered Christmas Onatorio that Donky loves so much. Bach great Protestant musical arts from the Lutherean side.

Yes Donkey it is great to see you forfit your athiestic beliefs and flush them down the toilet on the practical level when you borrow from the Christian world view and celebrate Christmans. Why should we believe and practice athiesm, you don't Donkey you celebrate Christmas. I would encourage you to check out a BIBLE believing Presbyterean church or a calvinistic Baptist church.

jr

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I like Christmas because I can tell that the days are getting longer, which is a good excuse for a tipple or two. That is what Christmas is really all about, after all.

Expatbrit

• donkey
    donkey
    Even Donky has to capitulate to the truth of Christian thiesm when he celebrated christmas

I don't celebrate it. It has pagan origins.

• Aztec
    Aztec

We wish you a merry Mithramas! From pagans everywhere!

~Aztec

• Sirona
    Sirona

I don't celebrate Christmas, I celebrate Yule. (yes, Donkey, I celebrate it because its pagan! LOL).

Since Yule is not so much different from the Christmas celebration, noone notices! I have a tree and lights, give gifts, etc.

As for carols:

"God rest ye merry paganfolk,

Let nothing you dismay,

Remember that our God the Sun

Is born on solstice day,

The winter nights are ending now

and Spring is on its way,

Good Tidings of comfort and joy

Comfort and joy,

Good tidings of comfort and joy."

Blessed Yule!

Sirona