Can JWs be police in Australia?

by Larrikin 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Larrikin
    Larrikin

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I've been following the RC reports, and I was hoping you could help, my question is are JW allowed to be police, I heard the JWs saying in one report with enthusiasm that they had JW in the policeforce. And would there be any conflict from the force with any of their teaching, that would be contrary to duties.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    Yeah, I caught that too. There's no way that a JW can be a police officer. I would mean taking a non-neutral stance. You would be given six months to find another job or be disfellowshipped.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

We need someone with a cashe of watchtower publications that touch on the matter.

Here in the UK, a JW family member of mine wanted to join the police. They were told about the use of the 'truncheon' and weapons being in cotradiction with bible teachings. Whatever they are?!?!

Also, they were told that in times of persecution(TM) they might be asked to arrest their borhters and sisters(tm). I kid you not.

Having said that........................when any question has 'allowed' in it the answer is usually 'NO!'

The cult is very cautious about how it handles these matters in writing...like joining the army...they won't say 'NO' in case the WBT$ is accused of heresy or whatever the term is...sorry I forgot.

So. Coppers in Oz? Were they cops before they joined the cult? What's their story?

• Mephis
    Mephis
    I knew a couple of JWs in Britain who were police officers (I believe they were in the police force before becoming JWs). They are not required to carry firearms here, and there was no conflict with neutrality I can think of 20 years ago. Perhaps things have changed, but would appear not for Aussie JWs.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome Larrikin.

Answer is "No." Not anywhere.

As OPPOSTATE said, they'd have to quit or be d/f'd. I know a J.W. who had to quit, before he could get baptized.

edited: The shift-work alone would merit shepherding calls & counselling, because of missed meetings etc.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome LARRIKIN.

My understanding is that nothing prohibits a person from being on a police force. However, if doing so requires you carry a firearm, you will not be able to hold any position in the congregation or have any "privleges"

• barry
    barry
    The police here in Australia do carry Glock pistols i think they are called.
  • Larrikin
    Larrikin

Thank you for your answers, I'm an Aussie, I was thinking of them having to 'swearing allegence to Australia'.

And if they can't be on the force were the JWS lying to RC.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

It was Spinks who claimed that JWs were on the police force. He said that JWs were in "every level of the police force" in Australia.

I don't believe Spinks - he is a liar.

I cannot imagine that "every level" of the police force has JWs in it. Impossible. Unless, of course, by "every level" he meant that the JWs had the cleaning contract for every floor in the police building.

• Larrikin
    Larrikin
    Orphan crow. That is so funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit