Self Hypnosis

by TR 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I daydream a lot. Could that fall under the self-hypnosis category?

Say you do hypnotize yourself, how do you snap yourself out of it? That has always been a fear of mine.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I am getting very very sleepy.

a;lfkjeqwpioj

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• openminded
    openminded

I was recently involved in a hypnosis study at NDSU. Very interesting study. I learned alot.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Open Minded....share ...Please!

• TR
    TR

Check out http://www.bcx.net/hypnosis/self-hypnosis-start.html

I printed the info a while back and tried it, but my mind kept wandering, and I got drowzy. I didn't try again, but might give it another go.

The info at the website above shows the steps involved, and how to come out of it.

TR

• shalom
    shalom

I was hypnotised to quit smoking and it worked. It was a great feeling, so relaxed and peaceful. Have never tried to hypnotise myself but would be interested to know how that works.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

An interesting book on this topic is Trances People Live by Stephen Wolinsky. As he describes it, trance states are on a continuum, from a light, everyday trance like daydreaming to what he calls deep trance phenomena. Just by the way we talk to ourselves in our heads, we can give ourselves posthypnotic suggestions. This helped me to understand why the pull of religions like the JWs may be so strong. Going over their information again and again, repeating the key phrases to ourselves, we end up hypnotizing ourselves. It also helped me understand why during my last few years as a JW, I often felt as though I was sleepwalking.

Below is a section from the book, from a chapter called "A Day in the Life of a Trance."

Ginny

Let's explore a few everyday examples of trance states that underlie common problems to clarify this paradigm shift.

Anxiety is fear of the future. A client whose presenting problem is anxiety might be using a cluster of Deep Trance Phenomena to synthesize the sensation of anxiety. First comes pseudo-orientation in time as she imagines a catastrophic outcome occurring in the future and therefore experiences fear. Next she uses posthypnotic suggestions ("It will never work out," "I can't cope with life," "Nothing will help") to articulate and differentiate the particulars of the negative outcome she is imagining. These are reinforced by negative hallucinations, which block her ability to see or acknowledge other resources, and perhaps vivified by positive hallucinations as she visualizes herself encountering an anxiety-provoking stimulus (such as a bill collector) that is not present in present time. All of this turmoil is likely to be further exacerbated by an experience of time distortion in which she has a breathless feeling that there is not enough time to find any kind of solution.

Erickson (Erickson, Rossi, & Rossi, 1976; Erickson & Rossi, 1979) wrote about the "common everyday trance" that naturally occurs throughout the day. This is the type of light trance state that we all experience periodically. It is not particularly problematic and, indeed, it can even be refreshing. Driving along in the car, I hear a tune from 20 years ago and spontaneously age regress to a particular experience that is linked in my memory with that tune. Or, I am sitting in my favorite chair absorbed in a basketball game on TV and somehow manage not to hear a word that is said to me by my wife. Or, I look up from my desk where I have been hard at work for the past hour and glance outside, staring into the sky and the trees in a daydreamy, absorbing moment.

. . . In addition to these kinds of light trance states that Erickson described and utilized in his work are trance states that function at the core of the symptom structure. As we will see in Chapter 2, these kinds of trances are created by the child in response to threat and become sources of pathology as they are integrated into the child's habitual mode of response. By the time we reach adulthood, we have intricate patterns of defense woven out of clusters of Deep Trance Phenomena that appear to function autonomously within us. Choice becomes the key factor in ascertaining whether the trance we are in is part of the problem, part of the solution, or just a pleasant, refreshing experience. Am I locked into (identified with) this moment of dissocation? Or can I easily return my focus of attention? Am I choosing to experience pseudo-orientation in time, or did it seem to happen to me?

For example, as I am sitting in a restaurant listening to a friend talk, I find that something he has said about a recent movie has triggered associations in me: various pictures "pop up" automatically in my mind's eye, as I slip into recalling a similar movie I saw with an old girlfriend. I can let my mind continue to wander (that's one kind of trance state), or I can consciously choose to focus intently on my friend (that may be another kind of trance state)--but either way, I am not in the grip of a problematic trance state over which I have no apparent control. A problematic trance would occur if I found myself slipping into a rapid depression as my wandering associations popped up painful memories from the past relationship (age regression), and I virtually stopped hearing or seeing my friend and the environment in present time (negative auditory or visual hallucinations) as I became "lost" in my ruminations. In both cases I am in a trance, but in the former I can choose to move out of it or alter it easily, while in the latter I become identified with it and its contents.

• orbison
    orbison

i am currently undergoing REM, for the treatment of PTSD,,(left org 4 yrs ago) it has been thought to be a form of hypnosis, although isnt,,the theory as to its actual effect on brain is unkown, although there are a few theories,,,but it is apparently affective

• orbison
    orbison

i am currently undergoing REM, for the treatment of PTSD,,(left org 4 yrs ago) it has been thought to be a form of hypnosis, although isnt,,the theory as to its actual effect on brain is unkown, although there are a few theories,,,but it is apparently affective

• orbison
    orbison

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit