Tell about the good JWs

by Skeptic 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Most of the JWs I met were sincere people. Not perfect, I have my horror stories too, but most were decent people.

I am not discounting the horrible things I hear on this forum. But surely some here have had the same situation I was in. Most of the Witnesses I knew were sincere.

Just as SixOfNine pointed out that the world can have bad people, let's point out some of the good people in the JW world.

I remember an elder who gave us treats, and personal care items when we were destitute. Sometimes those treats were the only food we had, not to mention the money those personal items saved. This brother sold such items for a living, and he would take old stock and give it to people in the congregation.

I remember a sister on welfare who lent us money for groceries when we were destitute.

I remember another elder who helped me fix my car many times, and helped me out in general. Most elders I knew were sincere good men. Not all elders are evil twits.

My fleshly sister who cleaned an elderly sister's home every week. Her husband, an elder, repaired other people's cars.

The Awake! had an article on how Witnesses fixed a poor sister's home while she was away...a lot of work. If memory serves me right, one of the posters here either was one of the Witnesses who helped, or personally knows the group who did.

And don't give me the "who cares, the JW religion is harmful" crap. I know the religion is harmful. Most of us here get that. But sometimes while telling about the bad elders we forget about the good ones. Or while telling about the hypocrites and pedophiles, we forget about the good sincere JWs.

So, tell us about some of the good JWs.

Richard

Edited by - Skeptic on 13 December 2002 17:1:21

• LB
    LB

Most of my fond memories of JW's are the younger ones. The teenagers especially. I was fat and out of shape then and we burned 10-12 cords of wood each winter. They'd always come over to help me get the wood in. Plus they always made me smile.

Not that many are the type I would consider evil or horrible. Most are judgemental of course. So was I.

I DAed myself a few weeks ago and was very surprised to have an active witness say hi to me in the local cafe yesterday. No other witnesses of course, but it still was a surprise. I kept it short of course as I was in a hurry and said to him "hey buddy, shoot, now I'm only the second best looking guy in town". He laughed and I said "later" and that was it.

• bay64me
    bay64me

In my whole experience with jws, I don't really have any outstanding examples of generosity or kindness.

In my greatest hour of need I was met with disinterest and a general "turning of a blind eye".

My main offer of assistance was offered by a one-time good friend who happened to be a lesbian.

I have nothing to contribute to any discussion about so called "good jws"

In my own experience, they are purely selfish bastards who are too dogmatic and narrow-minded to take into account ANYTHINGthat deviates from the hum-drum and so-called "normality" of a jdub existance.

Sorry Skeptic, I suppose that was not what you wanted to hear!

• rebel
    rebel

I know lots of good JWs. There is good and bad in all religions. I was in need once and a brother helped me financially. I think that JWs would do more good if they weren't continually stifled by the organisation. It suffocates you and makes you think you should only do good for other JWs. The only exception is the ministry. You can talk to wicked worldly people only if you are trying to convert them - you mustn't help them unless there is a Bible study at the end of it. There are so many nice ones in my congregation and I hope they see the light one day and come out.

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

I used to believe that most were good people, but now that my family and I are out, I must disagree. I don't know a single one who would lift a hand to help someone outside the org especially if that person was df'd or da'd. And, when we lost the roof over our head, the one who took us in was inactive a "fade-away"...none of the "brothers or sisters" offered to help. Sorry, but IMO the goodness stopped when their hearts turned to stone...doesn't matter who or how it happens, it does. And its a cold stone!

• Adam
    Adam

I remember this hot little mexican chick names Natasha. She was a year and a half younger than me and developed early. She wsn't one of those stick figures either, she had curves man. And her walk? Ugh. I tell ya, she was responsible several times for my breaking of the JW rule of not touching yourself. The rest of 'em? Screw 'em.

• rebel
    rebel

I suppose that is true - they can be kind only to those in the org - but there are those that will do good for others outside the org too. I know they are thin on the ground but they are there. It's like I said - they get all the goodness sucked out of them - I think that most that come into the org as adults really change - they seem to be a shadow of their former self - a bit like apparitions. Their only hope is to break free some day.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

When i was a little girl there was one time that we had no food in the house and no money. The JW 's came over and wanted to know why we had'nt been going out in service.Instead of bringing food they put my mom on a guilt trip about not getting her required time in. A neighbor (a "worldly" man) brought over bags of groceries.I have no idea how he knew we were hungry....he did'nt even know us.I honestly cannot think of one nice thing a jw did for us but there where many times "worldy" people have helped us.

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

Yeah, there all great as long as you are active and strong meeting attendance.

Would they do the same for a complete stranger (worldly)?

I saw the elders turn away a hungry person who walked off the street into the K/H and told them to go to the Salvation Army.

Try and get help from those same people a year after not coming to a meeting and see what happens. These great wonderful people, have no more use for you.

That's my experience.

• Dia
    Dia

Never mind.

Suffice to say that you, Skeptic, are a very grateful person and that is a very beautiful thing.

Edited by - Dia on 13 December 2002 18:21:23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit