Tell about the good JWs

by Skeptic 30 Replies latest jw friends

• riz
    riz

i'm fortunate to not only know, but be related to two good witnesses. my mom and my sister. they are both good and sincere. i love them both with all of my heart.

riz

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Why do we (or are we told to) pray to be kept from evil? Maybe to keep from doing harm? To not "hurt" people?

You may do 1000 things that are helpful. (But I know not one such JW) That does not mean that it is OK to hurt someone. And, JW's do hurt people, entire families. I have never met more vindictive people in my life. "Love" is so confused with a desire to be accepted that it is no longer any form of love that I know. It is all about control. Every abusive person has a good side. And, that good side is what people cling to. It keeps them hanging on. Hope that somehow all the abuse will somehow have been worth it. It's not. Period.

Jehovah Witnesses are fine if you do a few things. Never, Never, never, challenge their doctrine. Never point out the 120 years of failed prophet telling. Never stand up to the torturing of a disfellowshipped or unpopular once acceptable relgion goer. Never do anything that any older person in a JW family tells you not to do. Do not go for a higher education. Do not refuse them indoctrinating your children. Do not offer help without criticizing the person. Do not not talk behind peoples back. (Refuse to hear gossip) Do not ever stand up to a wacko elder. Do not refuse an invite to Easter (haha) Never stand up for anyone in your familly who is shunned. Never catch them in a lie and hold them attonable. Never expect a sincere appology. Never talk positive about the world. And basicly take no offense to them walking all over you and not repecting your personal boundries.

If you can do all of that they might be alright. If not then you will see a demon like no other kind. (J.M.E.)

P.S. I went to your link on the JW's Skeptic, Good work.

• JT
    JT

of course there are good JW - where do you think we all came from-

there are still jw inside who are going to leave, and why-- because they are good people who will stop disregarding what is nagging in the back of thier mind- as a former elder i have seen a constant drumbeat of all the former elders here, we GOT TIRED OF BEATING THE FRIENDS

many of us at one time thought we could cushion the wt blows from abusive elders and co and info from bethel ,but we realized that we could not-

many elders would spend large portions of their talking encouraging the bro to try and have a balancel life and spend time with thier families and for themselves-

only to have the CO roll in town and tell the friends they are spending too much time on things other than kingdom things and the friends guilt complex would kick in and folks would be canceling that picnic they had planned next week

and it reaches apoint where you realize you can't reform the unreformable

and we all left

and here we are today

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

You are right JT my wife is an EX JW. She is the finest of people. But those that leave according to my understanding of JW policy could not tow the rope. They are not who I am talking about. Once you are out you are not the same person. If you are caught not towing the rope what happens? To me that living a double life is part of the problem. You should be free to stand up and work to make changes and not have to leave. You should be able to honor yourself and your family and your friends and your relgion and not have to choose between them. That is why I speak out. Because when we all band togther we are stronger than when we are apart.

When I was silent for so many years I did no one any favors. My self included. I validated the abuse by not speaking out. Now I do speak for those that will listen. I looked for every scrap of good I could find to excused the bad stuff. When I could not find anything good I stayed quite. When I condem the JW's it is the relgion. It's the policy that hurts people and hurts children. It's the false doctrine that kills people and breaks up good marriages while locking people in bad ones. I criticize the individual for being gullible to that phony Jehvoah is in Brookylin, and we are the Ark stuff.

• JT
    JT
    When the IRA bombed my family out of our home, we moved with nothing to Canada. We arrived in minus 15 weather in Feb. My brother and sis were wearing t shirts, and my dad didnt have a coat.

the JWs gave us everything, we were fed and clothed by those wonderfull people. Later when i major chemical spill, forced us to leave our home for days, we stayed at the assembly hall in the sick room.

this is not meant to dog you in anyway- only to make a point- your exp actually shows just how dangerous JW actually are- while the treatment your family got was much needed

Is it not sad to think that if you were 16 and DFED the jw would have brought over clothes for everyone in the family EXCEPT YOU,

If your Dad and Mom were DFed you kids would have had to freeze to death-

yet other religions help not based on some Judical standing but on the mere fact that a family is in need

and i think most who read this post will understand that while much of the actions of jw are commendable they are only CONDITIONAL

• Etude
    Etude

I realized long ago, while I was still in the Organization, that people are people. It doesnt matter what group or category they find themselves in, they will develop the natural course of human behavior some will be bad and some will be good. My realization came from finding very little difference when comparing the things that happened inside the Organization and the world. JWs got divorced just like the people world; they stole and committed other crimes just like people in the world; they committed sexual misconduct just like the people in the world; and there were plenty of assholes, just like in the world. There were many good people too who performed great acts of kindness or were just simply kind hearted and good friends.

In reality, the JW microcosm is a diminutive copy of the real world. Its true that because of their beliefs some of the things that happen seem to be emphasized and augmented. The consequences in the world are many times not as dramatic or emotionally devastating. I was also in Bethel in Brooklyn, NY, and because of the concentrated environment there, I happened to meet bigger assholes and nicer people than when I was in the congregation. My realization was cemented when I learned that the wife of a district overseer (they were living at Bethel at the time) had committed adultery with another Bethelite in the 107 building. I remember thinking of all the unhappiness that the individuals must have been going through in order to get to that point. Of course, it simply could have been that they were just plain horny.

It didnt make a difference who they were and where they came from in order for them to behave badly or to the contrary. The assholes I met ranged from my first roommate right up to Nathan Knorr. Some of the nicer people I met made a lasting impression on me. I considered them part of my family, even though I can no longer associate with them (or even my fleshly family). I will always treasure having known them.

Etude.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Well put Etude. Welcome to the board. I like your nik.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

my family actually was pretty cool in spite of being JWs. My mom didn't get baptized til I was around fourteen and she never became the cliquish little dubbie that so many become. She was rather like a free spirit, instead of a dub. One day, shortly after she was baptized, we went shopping and stopped for lunch. A skinny, skinny, dirty, weirdo (I thought) kid was sitting on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant, looking kind of lost. He asked my mom if she could spare some change, he claimed he wanted to make a phone call. I was only 14 and quite embarrassed that my mom carried on a conversation with this guy, let alone when she offered to buy him lunch ! I almost died ! (you know how it is when you're 14, you're like "oh god, I hope noone sees me!") He didn't have any shoes to go into the restaurant and of course she would not just give him the money, she wanted to see him eat it! So she got some flip-flops that she had in the back of the car and he put those on and ate lunch with us! I was dying by this time, but of course it didn't end there, my mom found out he had run away, called his mom out of state, drove him to the bus station and paid for his ticket home! she told me later, after I told her she was nuts, that she had done what she hoped someone else would do for me if I ever ended up sitting on a sidewalk with no shoes.

she was definitely one of the "good" witnesses. (sigh, she passed away a couple years ago.)

Then there are the other witnesses like the sweet "sister" that had nothing better to do than tell her elder husband that my mom should be "talked" to regarding wearing torn jeans with a PEACE SYMBOL embroidered on the ass! LOL, she was the type that would've handed the runaway a Watchtower and counted it on her timesheet !

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

Etude

Could you explain your comment about Nathan Knorr

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I know HEAPS of good JW's: Knorr, Rutherford, Franz, Russell, boy the list goes on, heaps of them.

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit