Do you really need liquor at a wedding reception?

by ronin1 38 Replies latest jw friends

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Dont you have to be drunk to get married?? lol

I think grown people are accountable for their own action, therefore I dont want to sit and wonder if I should serve drinks or not. If a person gets out of line ask him to leave. I dont believe we should take away adult entertainment because what someone might do.

Edited by - WildTurkey on 13 December 2002 14:19:9

• ronin1
    ronin1

Crownboy:

You are right and your point about the food is well taken.

I just wanted to hear other persons opinion on this subject.

What I really to not think is that the WTS mentality should influence anyone in their decision to have liquor at any gathering.

But one really does not know what the outcome will be.

Thanks,

Ronin1

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Serve it. No one HAS to drink it. Just make it available for those who want to. Besides, what kind of toast can you have without Champagne????

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Although the host has every right to decline to have alcoholic beverages at a wedding, I can't see any other occasion where alcoholic beverages are more a part of the event both historically and culturally than a wedding celebration.

A wedding without alcohol is about as much fun as prohibition. Unless there are good reasons I consider it an insult to the guests and I go home early.

Path

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Hey crazy I knew you and I would be all for serving liquor. Just look at our nicks

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My parents served liquor at my sister's JW wedding and it was fantastic. It was fun, people were dancing to naughty songs, and if my parents were still 'in', they probably wouldv'e gotten a good talking good. Helluva wedding.

ash

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

I've planned two weddings, one without alcohol and one with. There were many other differences between the two events. The non-alcohol wedding was outdoors in a state park, so alcohol was not allowed... it was essentialy a big picnic and it was over very quickly. My second wedding was much better. We had music and dancing, loads of atmousphere and plenty of alcohol. No one got drunk at either wedding/reception. It works either way.

One cool thing about both weddings is that they were both potluck. That is just the best. Everyone brings their specialty and therefore the food is amazing!

Alcohol or no alcohol, it's just a personal choice.

~Witch

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    I posted this question after reading how the bride and groom's wedding reception was ruined by this drunk brother and his lewd comments. They were totally embarrassed and humiliated. And that should never have happened on "their day".

Could this be more of a reflection on their choice of "friends" than whether or not alcohol was served?

• Jourles
    Jourles

I've been to several witness weddings on the west coast and at all of them no alcohol was served. I've been to two weddings on the east coast and at both, wine and various liquors were served. The west coast wedding receptions were boring and not fun at all. On the other hand, the east coast receptions were a blast and everyone was having a good time. Does it make a huge difference whether or not the wedding party consists of those of the Italian background? Because that is what the east coast ones were made up of mainly.

Heck, even at my own wedding, we didn't have alcohol. It wasn't a cost issue, but rather, my wife said that many from the area could have problems with alcohol being present and that they might not be able to control themselves if they started drinking. I'll admit it, even my wedding reception was kind of boring.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

All I know is our nordic saying that joy without booze is affectation and so is sorrow with it.

Mark

Edited by - Haereticus on 13 December 2002 14:36:31

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit