Do you really need liquor at a wedding reception?

by ronin1 38 Replies latest jw friends

• ronin1
    ronin1

This is in response to the post on December 10, : "A Wedding Gone Bad"-
    The question: Do you really need liquor at a wedding reception?

Here is my story:

Whether a JW or not, I do not see anything wrong with serving just regular beverages: soda, juice, water, etc. at a wedding.

The hosts (bride and groom) really do not know how much persons are going to drink and cannot really control their drinking.

When my husband and I got married, we decided that for financial reasons and the reasons stated above, we would not serve liquor. We made sure we had enough food, beverages, great music and entertainment so that all our guests were happy and comfortable. After our wedding was over, we invited a small group of intimate, very close friends along with our family members back to my parents home for a "liquor/food party". It was much more controlled and we really enjoyed ourselves.

We have been married eight (8) years and still persons approach us and tell us how much they enjoyed our wedding ceremony and reception.

If your atmosphere is good, you do not need liquor.

Ronin1

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

You must be joking.

Path

• JT
    JT

yes even jesus knew the answer to this question, DUHHHHHHHH

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve rarely seen a dub wedding with no liquor.Only one that I can remember.The crowd thinned out real fast,and the reception was over early...OUTLAW

• troucul
    troucul

lol @ path...funny yet simple...

that reminds me of a comment my sister in law made..."What, do you need alcohol to have a good time?"--I said "Yeah, what are you, stupid?"

Financial reasons, I can understand...but in general, let them get wasted.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Sounds like Watchtower-style reasoning to me. "You don't need liquor to have a good time" quickly translates to "You shouldn't have liquor at weddings".

The point is that the Bible does not condemn the drinking of liquor or the serving of it to one's guests at a wedding reception. Therefore, it is a matter for each person to decide in accord with his or her own conscience. If someone at the reception drinks too much and acts inappropriately, the responsibility lies with that person, not with the ones who simply tried to provide good things for their guests. And here's a startling concept: some people might actually attend a wedding where liquor is served and make a personal choice not to drink it!

If you're more comfortable with a liquor-free wedding, more power to you. But you have no grounds to condemn those who choose to provide liquor, nor do they have the right to condemn you. It's your own business what you do - that's how the real world works, as opposed to the Watchtower fantasy-world, where everyone has their noses up each other's behinds all the time.

• crownboy
    crownboy
    Do you really need liquor at a wedding reception?

Of course you don't need liquor at a wedding reception, but I genuinely see no reason why there should necessarily not be any. Most people who drink liquor at weddings/parties, in general don't get stoned drunk and act as irresponsibly as that Witness in the thread you were referring to did (or, if you are like me, you don't drink at all, except for a little champagne or wine once in a while). So while there can be reasonable fear that an "incident" could occur at your wedding if you serve alcohol, it doesn't mean that one will. You could just as easily give your guest accidental food poisoning at your wedding, that doesn't mean you should eliminate food .

In the end, it comes down to a personal decision. You made a decision not to have alcohol at yours; and your wedding and after party turned out great, and I'm glad it did for you (and congrats on being married for 8 years ). Every wedding I've attended has had alcohol served at it, and I've never seen anyone act as stupid as the JW in that other thread, infact, not even close. So, I guess as far as I'm concerned, a wedding would be good with or without alcohol, because there are other things that can be done besides drinking, but including drinking isn't bad in itself also.

• ronin1
    ronin1

OK to: Pathofthorns, JT, Outlaw, Troucul, and Neonmadman:

I was not condemning anyone for having liquor at a party or reception. But I guess I am different. Sometimes when I go out, I really do not need to drink to have a good time. The different liquors I drink- I do so for the taste and I never have more than I can handle. It's not any WTS mentality, it's just how I am. (P.S.-we still had liquor, it was just not at our reception).

I posted this question after reading how the bride and groom's wedding reception was ruined by this drunk brother and his lewd comments. They were totally embarrassed and humiliated. And that should never have happened on "their day".

But if some people feel they must drink liquor to have a good time, so be it.Certainly the Bible to not say we cannot drink liquor. But it really should not be at the expense of humiliating oneself or others around and making them feel uncomfortable.

Ronin 1

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Ronin, I think it is a matter of individual descretion. I don't drink, so even if liquor is served, I won't partake. This is another one of those things that each individual will have their view and all may be right and wrong.

Alcohol was served at both of my daughters weddings and there were no problems. However, a funny thing went unnoticed by many, except for me, at my oldest daughters wedding. Her Mom and step-dad had already been drinking prior to the wedding itself and were just a tad inebriated by the time of the reception. He decided a toast was in good order and stood up to give it. His words were, "First of all, I would like to bless the Lord." Sure, thats not exactly what he meant, but the alcohol let it come out that way. Other than that little slip, there were no other problems, save maybe a few hangovers the next day.

I see nothing wrong with either having it or not having it. There is always a potential for problems at any large gathering, whether alcohol is served or not.

Either way, have fun and enjoy celebrating the start of a new life together.

Lew W

Edited by - DakotaRed on 13 December 2002 14:3:19

• Seven
    Seven

ronin1, Congrats on 8 years of marriage and a very memorable wedding and reception. While serving liquor is not mandatory imo a bit of champagne or wine enhances the celebration-not detracts from it. Hiring professional mixologists(not a friend of a friend) and no beer will eliminate much of the uncooth drunken disorderlies in the crowd. :) Also, having the bar shut down an hour or so before the reception's end helps too.

seven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit