Thread for support of diet and exercise...tips

by LyinEyes 40 Replies latest social physical

• Introspection
    Introspection

Liquid I've done a bit of Bikram yoga, it's pretty intense for me although it definitely opens things up. Unfortunately the heated room can be a bit much at times, makes you dizzy etc especially if you push yourself too much.

One piece of practical advice I've heard is exercise first thing in the morning. Of course, this means you want to get enough rest and get up early enough to do the workout in addition to eating breakfast and all of the usual things, so it takes a bit of time management.

In terms of eating, I would say learning to distinguish eating out of boredom vs. eating out of hunger is probably a big help. Educating yourself when it comes to nutrition (just reading the standard food label is a big plus) will help you make better choices when you do eat. Here's one tip on that which many of you may already know: When checking the fat content on the food label, compare the fat calories with total calories rather than just the total amount of fat.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well there were easy times and hard times. I didn't mean to say it's all easy. Email me confidentially if you need help.

• target
    target

Ballistic:

<<Well if anyone wants to know, look back on my posts on this forum for the past 12 months and you will see I have lost over 3 stone and given up smoking,and I found it easy.>>

So I am sitting here thinking up a smart-ass reply and then you have to go and admit that there were hard times too. Just when I thought I had a good one together, too...........

Millie

• ballistic
    ballistic

HAhaha...

• Nickey
    Nickey

I'm lazy. I just take Calorad and sleep it off.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

a bunch of us girls at work have decided that we're going to have a little club. kind of all help each other out. starting january 1 and for the 4 months following we're all going on our own diet & exercise programs. we're not going to weigh in, but twice a month we'll post how much we've lost (or hopefully not, gained) since the last check in. we're thinking it will be good motivation since for most of us, there's deadly snacking during our work hours. we all have high hopes that this will be the right combination for us.

• footprints
    footprints

It is said that walking burns the same number of calories per mile as running, but without the stress on knees and other joints. This is the location of an calorie calculator that some may find helpfull.

www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-58-1069,00.html

Hint: To loose a pound of fat a person must avoid eating or work off about 3,000 calories

Haven't decided which one I'll do. I love food and hate exercise.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Speaking of walking folks, get yourself some decent shoes. I find that even if it's just brisk walking on a treadmill it makes a difference.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Hello chaps and chappesses

I started my weight loss plan yesterday - I wondered how everyone else is doing? How long into January has your resolve lasted?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

My year has started off pretty good, I have lost weight , but not in the healthy way.... I wasnt eating much at all, I felt sick,tired, and have stopped that. But I think it was a good kick start for me because I admit,,,,, I am an emotional eater. So by denying myself the comfort of eating so much , I have a mind set to do my body right. Don't starve it, think of the food as fuel..... what I need to get my work done, and not so much as a reward for myself or the sugar rush I get . I am also starting on vitamins, and I am going to start eating small meals...... but I have to plan them or i will forget and then get real hungry and blow it. If I plan the small meals at regular times, I will also keep the metobolism going more. I am going to eat at least a little something every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, lots of water, lots of veggies, and lean protein meats.

Now this last week I have had a bad flare up of Fibromyalgia,,,,, deep muscle pain, plus I have arthritis in my feet,,,,,,,, the doctors are not sure exactly what the intense pain of my case of fibro is because it does not fit the standard trigger point spots on all of the body. Mine is usually on my right side only. It has shifted to the left before only too. But mainly it is from head to toe , every muscle group on the right side is in excruciating pain,,,,,,, even Lortabs or Codeine do not help this pain. SO this cold weather has been hell on me,,,,,,, my feet are right now covered with that pepper bases cream..... supposed to surpresss the substance p in your body that sends pain signals. Well it works, it is so hot , burning you think of it more than the pain........lol..... but over time it works better and better.

The bones in my feet are seperating due to the arthritis and Ihave already had two foot surgeries when I was younger.My doctor said I am way over due for both feet needing surgery. But if I have surgery right now, I will not be walking for months......it was a hellish experience and the recovery took forever.

But soon as I can I am going to start doing some walking, just what I can at first , then maybe move up to a little more power walking. If I find I can't do that,,,,,,, I will join a health club to use the pool. I would love to do that anyway but we live an hour from one. Swimming is the best for arthritis and fibromyalgia,,,,,,,no stress on joints and the warm water is nice.

Good luck on it everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,keep us all posted.........dede

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit