Thread for support of diet and exercise...tips

by LyinEyes 40 Replies latest social physical

• Mac
    Mac

I've found a low carb diet to be the most effective for me when i want to lose a few pounds. As far as exercise; weight training, stair stepper and rowing machine. Used to run but have gravitated toward lower impact aerobics in the last few years.

mac

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LOL Nakedmvistar....................do not encourage me...........now I want to go find more jolly ranchers....... green apple of course.

• jack2
    jack2

Dede, didn't we go through this before? Jared? Subway? C'mon girl, don't you remember?

Kidding aside, first of all, you look fine from here. But, if you do want to get into some type of diet/exercise regimen, all I can suggest is a balanced diet without a lot of denial of foods you like. Also, if late-night snacks are a problem, do away with them, and cut down on between-meal snacks if you can or just eat veggies or fruit as snacks.

Four years ago, I dropped 45 pounds mostly by following that regimen and getting a good amount of exercise. I enjoy tennis and that helped a lot. Walking does too, of course.

Best wishes on your endeavor.....and don't forget to go to Subway!

Edited by - jack2 on 13 December 2002 21:23:41

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LOL Jack, Jared makes me sick. Anyway he most likely had the plain turkey sandwich with no toppings. I just can not go in there and get the 6 grms of fat and under,,,,,,, omg, the tuna salad, and all those exotic breads. The steak ones,,yummy,,,,,,, my god, the only ones worth eating are way up there in fat grams. I am sure Jared only ate the plain ones, or he is a liar.

Honestly I do take everything I read, watch on Discovery and TLC , and what others say to heart. I just need motivation, and it helps to talk about it. I believe from what I have learned a fad diet wont work in the long run, I think portion control , binge control and exercise are the keys for me. Well let ya know as I go.

• meadow77
    meadow77

I have two friends who have lots TONS of weight on the Atkins diet. Many people think it's a no carb diet, but it's really just a low carb diet. I have gotten the book and am starting my diet monday-so I'll keep you posted. If you don't already own a membership somewhere, I would suggest joining the Y. I joined one here locally and their equipment is totally up to date, and they have great aerobics classes for all levels.Best of all you have access to a pool and hot tub!!!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Here's a few (some already mentioned):

Drink water. (divide your current weight by 15 and drink that many glasses of water/day...start early, carry a water bottle with u everywhere.)

Get exercise. Aerobic and strength.
    Walking iz an awesome start. Remember to stretch after warming up.
    Do stuff you find FUN in order to increase your activity levels an' keep 'em up there.
    Try pilates, they are easy exercises and very quick to see results in muscle tone and posture.

Buy EZ-to-snack-on fruits and vegies.
    Don't buy easy to snack on processed snacks.

Turn your 3 meal day into a 6 snack day.
    Use a smaller plate, it makes your meal look bigger.
    Make one day a week for CHEATING. Cheat REALLY good on that day.
    Definitely PLAN your meals. This will help ya stay on track.

SPAZ

• ugg
    ugg

no words of wisdom,,,just wishing you success!!!!!!!!!!!!

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

(((((((((((((((((((((LyinEyes))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks for such a great thread! I too eat for emotional reasons--and it sucks because food tastes good! I doubt I'd have a problem if there weren't so many good things to choose from. I also have a hard time getting motivated--mainly because I don't like to exercise alone. I definitely do much better when I'm in a class--I love belly dancing and water aerobics. It's a shame you don't live closer--because I need to start back up again. We have moved 3 times in the past year--so I can understand what you're going through.

I love all the suggestions given here, and I wanted to add my 2 cents worth. A few years ago I heard of eating according to your blood type. I have since done a lot of reading on it and have "tested" the various ideas. For instance, I'm blood type B, and I found out that chicken, corn, and wheat are not digested well by my body (causing weight gain) because of lectins found in those particular foods. Well, I LOVE chicken and corn (I used to eat 3 or 4 ears of corn or a can of cream corn for dinner). I decided to cut them out (except for rare occasions) and ended up losing about 50 pounds. I walked some and did a once a week water aerobics class and once a week belly dancing.

During the time I tried this, I asked around to find out more information. It turns out that almost ALL of my friends who are blood type A (which should be vegetarian), have had their gall bladder removed--because they were meat eaters. The whole premise is based on the idea that where our blood originated from and the foods our particular ancestors ate affect us today. It has been the most consistent and logical explanation as to why some diets (ie. Atkins etc.) work for some but not others. I've met vegetarians who were extremely sickly and unhealthy--because their bodies craved meat for fuel, or who even gained weight because they weren't getting the energy they needed from meat sources. Blood type O's should avoid potatoes because it causes arthritis--my mom's an O and has it bad in her hands.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble--just though you might be interested. Feel free to email me if you have any questions (or just for moral support). I think that most of us could use support to eat better and take care of ourselves.

Love,

Becky

• patio34
    patio34

Hi LyinEyes,

Bravo for wanting to improve your health! I have an abundance of information about losing weight, as I've lost 50 pounds in the past 6 months.

However, I'm putting it all in a small book that I'm going to self-publish and distribute for cost of printing (yuck that sounds like a JW term). However I'm still in the process of writing and editing it.

I'd dieted and lost and gained for decades and when I finally hit on The Formula (for me at least), it was the easiest thing I've ever done.

Sorry, I'm not giving you all the info now, but I'll tell you the mainstay of the program. It's all based on the old saw: Breakfast like a king, lunch like a peasant, and dinner like a pauper.

I started having hearty, substantial breakfasts, but wise ones: Oatmeal with a cup of milk and a cup of blueberries. Ditto for lunch, fish and vegetables. I made my own versions of favorite foods (pumpkin pie, apple cobbler, etc.) with Splenda and low fat. Many say be sure to eat breakfast, but don't emphasize eating ENOUGH of it and then following it up with plenty of healthful food during the day. Otherwise your body will shift chemistry, and not give up the fat, sensing a starvation.

My "formula" for losing 50 pounds in 6 (really five) months was this calorie distribution: 400 (breakfast); 100 (snack); 400 (lunch): 100 snack; 200 dinner.

There's a lot more of the rationale behind it, but that's the main thing. Oh! And I ate within 1/2 hour of waking to get my metabolism going, ate preemptorily all day at the right times, and started walking, etc. When hunger has no chance to build up during the day, it's amazing how low the appetite stays and how little satisfies one in the evening. Satiety is the main feature.

I ate about 85% of my calories by 5:00, BEFORE dinner. I stayed at about 1200-1300 calories, but by eating them earlier in the day, i think it made me lose faster.

But you have to eat wise foods (I recommend the book Volumetrics by Barbara Rolls), foods that satisfy you and stay with you a while. After all two pieces of toast with butter would equal 400 calories but not do much for satiety. Lots of vegetables, soups, fruits, some meat and fish, etc. Be sure to add some healthy fat (canola oil, maybe a teaspoon) with each meal so you can absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

This BKWLP (Breakfast like a king weight loss plan) is very satisfying, healthy, and easy to stay on or get back on. When the book is ready (it will only be about 60 or 70 pages with recipes, etc.), I'll put a notice on the board. I think I'll treat it like shareware, you pay S&H, and then just contribute what it's worth to you. At least at first. That's still in the planning stages.

Good luck.

Pat

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

My blood type is A positive. What does that diet say you should eat and not?? Do you have the info on that beckyboop? I am curious, I have seen this on tv more and more here lately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit