Population of Deaf JWs

by Yizuman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Yizuman, in your search for job opportunities, you may want to contact the Rehabilitation Services Commission in Indiana. Ask them if they would send you to a Psychologist who could give you a battery of tests. The Rehab counselor would then have those available to send to a prospective employer. If a prospective employer would see your reading comprehension skills and your written expression, I am sure they would be impressed. I recommend this because this would be free of charge for you. If that avenue is not open for you, I would request each prospective employer to have them give you their standard employment tests.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have never heard of shadow signing. My mind has a hard time seeing how it would work if the "shadow" is behind the actor. But it sounds fascinating

I learned sign when my second daughter was a baby. Her first expressive language was sign. it was helpful to me to teach her sign. She could sign long before she could talk. In university she would get into arguments with her psychology professors because they refused to believe a child under the age of 1 year old could communicate. She would have to tell them to call the deaf school to get proof

I agree about the quality of education that the deaf get. It varies depending on the school and the teacher. It seems there are two schools of thought - well actually 3. The oral school believes the deaf should not sign at all. They should lip read only. My opinion is that this just keeps the deaf really disabled and dependant. Most deaf children will learn sign on their own after they leave school if they have not found a way to learn it before. When a person only uses the oral method they cannot integrate into either the hearing world or the deaf world. It is sad.

The two signing theories seem to be that either the are taught ASL only to strengthen their "deaf" identity and culture or they are taught both SEE and ASL so they have better opportunities to integrate into both the hearing and deaf worlds. Even if a school supports both often a teacher will support only one philosophy and only use that in the class, Learing ASL only does not help deaf integrate into hearing world. It doesn't teach english grammar and sentence structure and will make it harder for them to get jobs where language is an issue.

Many deaf I know have jobs where language is not an issue but I know if they had good english language skills they could do much better. They are very smart people.

Some of the teachers at the deaf school in Montreal made me very angry. My daughter was going to the reverse integration program (hearing kids attending the deaf school for a year) and one teacher told me that although she had gone to deaf college most deaf people were not able to do what she had done so why bother to teach them good english skills. Such a disservive to her students to not give them what they needed so they could try.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit