Population of Deaf JWs

by Yizuman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

So where are you from? I'm from the Noblesville, IN area.

I was interpreting in Montreal Canada but now I live half way across the country in Winnipeg.

So how are you using your interpreting services?

I had used my sign language a few times where I work (with either the homeless or battered women) but don't get much chance anymore. After I left the JWs I had a few jobs working with the deaf community in Montreal through McKay Centre of interpreting for students in university and college. I also had a job working in a deaf community organization.

Are you certified? Do you work for a deaf service organization? Like CDS (Community Deaf Services)?

I have not gotten certified so my ability to work in the deaf community now is limited.

Since you've been out for 18 years, when was the last time you heard of the total deaf JW population?

I don't know that I have ever seen any stats on the number of deaf JWs. I believe that the deaf group I was with has gone on to form the own cong but I could be wrong about that. I know they had their own elders and they were attracting many new ones although most were not considered strong.

I have to wonder about the previous post about the deaf joining to get their hearing back. I have never met a born-deaf JW want to hear. Most are a little afraid of that. In Montreal there was a deaf woman (not JW) who went for an implant and did get her hearing but she hated it and most deaf I know would refuse the surgery

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Before I left the WTS, I was very involved with the Deaf. We had a Deaf Bookstudy in our home, and also ASL classes were taught to those interested in the congregations in our circuit. The lady giving the instruction was very well known and dedicated to the Deaf. We often had Bethelites come and give lessons. I used to feel sorry for the familes who were divided between hearing and ASL assemblies.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Are you talking physically or intellectually deaf?

AlanF

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!! Nice to see you on the board AlanF(straight -up!)..It will be fun to watch you pursue this..I am not real happy with this dude...OUTLAW

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Ignore the few who comes to the board and poke fun of the deaf community. Apparently there is a few here on this forum that has a problem with the deaf community, which is beyond to my comprehention(s?) as to understanding why. I hate no hate for them, I just feel sorry for them.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yizuman,

: Anyone have any idea what the exact numbers there are with Deaf JWs?

Why do you think the number would be any more or any less than the statistical percentage of deaf people anywhere else?

The only difference I can see is that when all of their arguments are demolished, almost ALL Jehovah's Witnesses go deaf.

Farkel

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    I was interpreting in Montreal Canada but now I live half way across the country in Winnipeg.

Cool, I know of a few friends whom I chat online that is from Canada. I would love to give Canada a visit one day.

I had used my sign language a few times where I work (with either the homeless or battered women) but don't get much chance anymore. After I left the JWs I had a few jobs working with the deaf community in Montreal through McKay Centre of interpreting for students in university and college. I also had a job working in a deaf community organization.

That's great to hear.

I have not gotten certified so my ability to work in the deaf community now is limited.

You should. Here in the US, alot of the interpreters makes $45.00 to $90.00 an hour, depending on where they are interpreting at. So, I'm sure it comes close to that in Canadian dollars there.

I have to wonder about the previous post about the deaf joining to get their hearing back. I have never met a born-deaf JW want to hear. Most are a little afraid of that. In Montreal there was a deaf woman (not JW) who went for an implant and did get her hearing but she hated it and most deaf I know would refuse the surgery

Yes, it was odd to hear recruiters using this theme to say "they will get their hearing back" if they became members of the Jehovah's Organization.

As for the surgery, I don't think it works for everyone. However, many have posted their concerns about this surgery in the Deaf Forum because they are afraid that this type of surgery is destroying the deaf culture that we all know today. Many doctors are recommending this type of surgery on the young, such as young as 1 year and up. If it becomes manditory for them to have this type of surgery, the deaf community that we know today could shrink. Some would say that's progress, but to us, it may generate alot more harm than good.

Like I said, I don't think the surgery will work for everyone. Some may be too stone deaf and the surgery will be worthless for them.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Before I left the WTS, I was very involved with the Deaf. We had a Deaf Bookstudy in our home, and also ASL classes were taught to those interested in the congregations in our circuit. The lady giving the instruction was very well known and dedicated to the Deaf. We often had Bethelites come and give lessons. I used to feel sorry for the familes who were divided between hearing and ASL assemblies.

Well I support segregation between the deaf world and the hearing world. Bunching them together in the same room generates problems simply because alot of ignorant hearing people don't understand the deaf community. Therefore they lash out at what they don't understand to the deaf community. It generates resentments towards the hearing world and that's not healthy.

When I went to the Center on Deafness, they taught me how to understand the hearing world and my old worldview towards the hearing world has changed. I no longer resent the hearing world, I feel sorry for them instead. CoD also taught me how to make a stand against the hearing world when I am being discriminated against and know my rights as a deaf individual. So, instead of getting into fist fights likes I used to in my old school before I joined CoD, I will use the law such as ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) to defend my rights and if neccessary, take them to court. There's also hate crime laws that I will use against anyone who ridicule me for simply being deaf.

I am a human being just like everyone else and I have the right be treated as one.

Edited by - Yizuman on 13 December 2002 8:16:14

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=42219&site=3

Although I have never been a Witness, I have been around JWs and Ex-JWs for nearly 15 years.

What is your connection to the JWs? Who have you known, for how long? You have never told us the story of why you are on this board.

Ignore the few who comes to the board and poke fun of the deaf community. Apparently there is a few here on this forum that has a problem with the deaf community, which is beyond to my comprehention(s?) as to understanding why. I hate no hate for them, I just feel sorry for them.

Please tell, who has poked fun at the deaf community? Who are the few who have a problem with the deaf community on this board?

There's also hate crime laws that I will use against anyone who ridicule me for simply being deaf.

What are you referring to? Who here has ridiculed you?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41910&site=3&page=4

And speaking of crap. This is a very interesting witch hunt some folks have going against me, nitpicking me and trying to find wrongs about me. Now why does this all look familar to me? Hmmmm? Lemme guess, this have anything to do with the fact that you all were once Jehovah's Witness? The game callerd witch hunt seems to be the number one sports game that JWs play on each other all the time. Even the Elders play the same game. Even after many get df'ed from the so called "truth". The game still goes on outside the organization.

This is interesting indeed.

On a final note, as of this day at present with my life. I do NOT use my deafness as an excuse for ANY reason at ANY given time no matter what the situation may be. I want to be absolute perfectly clear on this matter. I do not use my deafness as an excuse when I cannot find a better job. I do not use my deafness as an excuse when I am behind my bills.

You are making an unfair assumption that all deaf people are illiterate and stupid.

In fact, with that attitude of yours, you're no better than a redneck wearing a white hood.

Teenyuck, from this day forth, I'm ignoring all of your posts and will not reply to your trolling.

So you don't care about me at all as a person regardless whether or not I am deaf. Fine. This is who I am as presented and if you have a problem with that, that's your attitude, not mine.

It's up to you if you want us to be friends or not.

Since I am on your banned list, along with OUTLAW, I won't hold my breath for an answer.

Edited to add: as I noted on a previous thread, I have no problem with you being deaf. I also must add that ridicule is not a hate crime. If it were, every comic in America would be out of work....

Definition of hate crime:

One entry found for hate crime.

Main Entry: hate crime
    Function: noun
    Date: 1989
    : any of various crimes (as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)

Ridicule:

2 entries found for ridicule.
    To select an entry, click on it. Main Entry: 1 ridicule
    Pronunciation: 'ri-d&-"ky(&)l
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French or Latin; French, from Latin ridiculum jest
    Date: 1690
    : the act of exposing to laughter :
    DERISION, MOCKERY

Please get the facts before thowing out threats.

Edited by - teenyuck on 13 December 2002 11:27:55

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I know of no one who has a problem with the deaf community on this board.We have a problem with low-lifes who try to take advantage of the good hearted people on this board.They are usualy looking for pity and cold hard cash..Ching$$$$$$...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit