Population of Deaf JWs

by Yizuman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Anyone have any idea what the exact numbers there are with Deaf JWs? Just curious how many there worldwide?

Anyone still on the inside able to get that information?

Thanks

• Valis
    Valis

You might try contacting lady lee. I know she did a bit of work for the deaf in JWland.

Their website gives vague info you might do some guessing w/their numbers.

http://www.jw-media.org/releases/000930.htm

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Are you deaf Yizu? When I was a newer JW there was a "need" in our congregation for interpreters because it was pre JW DEAF congregation era...circa 1985. Two of us self taught SignEnglish...rudamentary but we learned as we went and the deaf were very grateful for the effort, having been trying to read mustachioed elders lips to that point. And soon we were doing it at assemblies, except the District which still had sections for the deaf and Bethel reps doing the heavy stuff. (I recall this poor interpreter doing a HUGE talk on "Ezekials Wheel within a Wheel Vision"..cripes what a nightmare. Even the hearing didnt get THAT one LOL! ) But very rapidly the deaf grew in population once they organized into their own congregations. They had to go to NJ for the assemblies which was horrific because many many of them were dirt poor to start with so travel was very hard to accomplish. I soon let it go because of having kids and ASL was required..which ALSO had to be ASL a la the Society. We would however do HUGE territories tracking down the deaf, using TTY directories and Deaf association membership rosters, and deaf call recommendations...constantly adding to a central database. I left in 1997, but I know two people who were recruited to become the PO and POElderette at the Deaf Congregation in Oak Park (Chicago). HE didnt want anything to do with sign language, but...was forced to learn it because his wife knew it and they needed a hearing signing brother there. Their lives are totally ensconced in the deaf culture now...the phone calls and the emails are unrelenting at their home. I suppose, with the promise of getting their HEARING BACK by being JWs...that the increase is significant.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Are you deaf Yizu?

Naturally

When I was a newer JW there was a "need" in our congregation for interpreters because it was pre JW DEAF congregation era...circa 1985.

What congregation was that may I ask?

Two of us self taught SignEnglish...

Ah, the good old SSE (Signed Straight English). Illinois School for the Dead enforces SSE as MANITORY sign and discourages ASL on campus. I happen to know both SSE and ASL. I kind of use a mixure of both myself.

rudamentary but we learned as we went and the deaf were very grateful for the effort, having been trying to read mustachioed elders lips to that point. And soon we were doing it at assemblies, except the District which still had sections for the deaf and Bethel reps doing the heavy stuff. (I recall this poor interpreter doing a HUGE talk on "Ezekials Wheel within a Wheel Vision"..cripes what a nightmare. Even the hearing didnt get THAT one LOL! )

I've often wondered with those who are deaf who has some basic education understands anything being taught by the WT? These teachings and doctrines are the most difficult all of religions I've ever encountered. I'm talking about the deep stuff.

But very rapidly the deaf grew in population once they organized into their own congregations. They had to go to NJ for the assemblies which was horrific because many many of them were dirt poor to start with so travel was very hard to accomplish. I soon let it go because of having kids and ASL was required..which ALSO had to be ASL a la the Society. We would however do HUGE territories tracking down the deaf, using TTY directories and Deaf association membership rosters, and deaf call recommendations...constantly adding to a central database. I left in 1997, but I know two people who were recruited to become the PO and POElderette at the Deaf Congregation in Oak Park (Chicago). HE didnt want anything to do with sign language, but...was forced to learn it because his wife knew it and they needed a hearing signing brother there. Their lives are totally ensconced in the deaf culture now...the phone calls and the emails are unrelenting at their home. I suppose, with the promise of getting their HEARING BACK by being JWs...that the increase is significant.

They actually WANT their hearing back? Most majority of the deaf population have a huge pride of being deaf, having their own seperate world and cultures. How did they manage to make the deaf congregations want to have their hearing at all? Plus most deaf folks were born deaf, so how does WANTING their hearing back be their desire when they never had it to begin with?

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    You might try contacting lady lee. I know she did a bit of work for the deaf in JWland.

Ok I will do that. Thank you.

• LDH
    LDH

Please contact Zanex.

Lisa

• zanex
    zanex

yiz: that information is possibly within my grasp...as my pop is still a very much deaf practicing elder...(restrains gagging reflex) sorry bout that..hard to believe sometimes thats all...anyway, I am fairly sure that that number is drastically high actually...sad to say...I'll do what I can...

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Anyone familiar with the Deaf Congregations in NYC between 1994 and present?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi there I have been out for the last 18 years so I don't have access to any information now.

I learned SSL and a amattering of ASL so that I could interpret at the meetings and conventions. I also taught groups of JW SSL so they too could help out. And I also taught a few brothers until someone realized I was a woman and should not have been allowed to teach a brother anything. DUH

I used SSL in the interpreting but used ASL when talking to my deaf friends. I learned to sign from a deaf sister who was a good friend of mine. And if Mouthy comes in here she will loudly tell people what kind of an interpreter I was.

I loved working with the deaf group and many became good friends. But they had a lot of needs (lawyers and doctor appointments etc.)

My youngest daughter could communicate in sign before she could speak. That was such a help in knowing what she wanted. At 9 months old she had a vocabulary of 50 words -- way ahead of hearing kids that age.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Hi Lady Lee. Nice meeting you.

So where are you from? I'm from the Noblesville, IN area.

Would love to get to know you more.

So how are you using your interpreting services? Are you certified? Do you work for a deaf service organization? Like CDS (Community Deaf Services)?

Since you've been out for 18 years, when was the last time you heard of the total deaf JW population?

Take care,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit