were you forced to give up your fleshly family

by nightwarrior 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Yes, I turned my back on my entire family...for 30 years. Unfortuately, my mother and grandmother died before I left the religion. I will always regret not being able to tell them how right they were and how wrong I was.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was raised in it..With a few exceptions,my dub family are hypocrates,as are most dubs who support the WBTS..I walked away..I really don`t want to associate with people like that...OUTLAW

• detective
    detective
    *** w93 8/1 18-19 Let No One Spoil Your Useful Habits ***
    13 Christians want to be friendly with workmates, and many experiences bear out how effective this can be in opening the way for giving a witness. A fellow worker could misinterpret friendliness, however, as inviting association in order to have a good time together. He or she might extend a casual invitation to lunch, to a brief stop after work for a drink, or to some recreation on the weekend. This person mightappear kind and clean-cut, and the invitation might seem innocent. Yet, Paul advises us: Do not be misled.
    14 Some Christians have been. They gradually developed a relaxed attitude toward association with workmates. Maybe it grew out of a common interest in a sport or a hobby. Or a non-Christian on the job might be exceptionally kind and thoughtful, which led to spending increasing amounts of time with thatone, even preferring such company to that of some in the congregation. Then the association might lead to missing just one meeting. It could mean being out late one evening and breaking the pattern of sharing in the field ministry in the morning. It could result in watching a film or a video of a type that the Christian normally would refuse. Oh, that would never happen to me, we might think. But most of those who have been misled may first have responded that way. We need to ask ourselves, Just how determined am I to
    apply Pauls counsel?
    15 What we just considered as to the workplace applies also to our association with neighbors. Certainly, the Christians in ancient Corinth had neighbors. In some communities it is normal to be quite friendly and supportive of neighbors. In rural areas neighbors may rely on one another because of isolation. Family ties are particularly strong in some cultures, giving rise to many invitations to meals. Obviously, a balanced view is important, as Jesus manifested. (Luke 8:20, 21; John 2:12) In our dealings with neighbors and relatives, are we inclined to carry on as we did before we became Christians? Rather, should we not now review such dealings and consciously determine what limits are appropriate? 16 Jesus once likened the word of the Kingdom to seeds that fell alongside the road, and the birds came and ate them up. (Matthew 13:3, 4, 19) Back then, soil along a road became hard as many feet walked back and forth on it. It is that way with many people. Their lives are filled with neighbors, relatives, and others coming and going, keeping them busy. This, as it were, tramples the soil of their hearts, making it hard for seeds of truth to take root. A similar unresponsiveness could develop in one who is already a Christian.
    17 Some worldly neighbors and relatives may be friendly and helpful, though they have consistently shown neither interest in spiritual things nor love for righteousness. (Mark 10:21, 22; 2 Corinthians 6:14) Our becoming Christians should not mean that we become unfriendly, unneighborly. Jesus counseled us to manifest genuine interest in others. (Luke 10:29-37) But equally inspired and necessary is Pauls counselto be careful about our associations. As we apply the former counsel, we must not forget the latter. If we do not keep both principles in mind, our habits can be affected. How do your habits compare with those of your neighbors or relatives as respects honesty or obeying Caesars law? For instance, they may feel that at tax time, underreporting income or business profits is justified, even necessary for survival. They might speak persuasively about their views over a casual cup of coffee or during a brief visit. How could that affect your thinking and honest habits? (Mark 12:17; Romans 12:2) Do not bemisled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit