Multi-level selling traps and JWs

by Debz 40 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Anybody who says "there's no work involved" hasn't done much of multi-level.

I think the lure is that the work is *limited,* and the potential return on money could be great. And jw's have a Great Networking Potential - and know it. As Path said - most jw's are of limited education and work at semi-low paying jobs. Their wives are strongly encouraged to be "workers at home." Besides, the women normally have less education & work experience than their husbands.

And they have kids & bills. These jobs promise that they can be worked around your existing schedule...and every jw is scheduled *as tight as a coiled spring* (cleaned up language, btw).

There are MILLIONS of non-jw's in these marketing companies....it just happens to fit the "jw short life in this system of things" outlook.

Excel..Amway....Herbalife....some kind of gold buying....there are soooooo many - and some have damned good products too. Get in at the right time (beginning) and there's a LOT of money to be made.)

an internet buying club....an internet email service -- I have had 4 different *worldly* people approach me within the last 2 months on these internet things. The second one actually looked interesting

And, no, I'm not into any of them - but don't see the harm, if one wants to do it. Most people will be lucky to just recoup their initial investment....but some will make little to big money. The lure is to be one of the few finally making big money.....or "just enough to help us get by until The New Order."

waiting

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Man...most of the JWs I knew who were pioneers were into something or another like this, and they made you feel like if you were not BUYING from them then you were not supporting the pioneer work!! IT was awful! I quickly let it be known that I did NOT want to be invited to any more of these parties because I could not buy from one and not from another which also caused hard feelings. They sold Amway, HomeDecor, Herbalife, NewSkin, MaryKay, paintings, candles, tupperware, lingerie...god you name it. It became such a hassle. You couldnt have a conversation with anybody without them SELLING you one damn thing or another.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Oh Lord. And the endless round of Tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, and Herbalife parties. I thought I would about vomit the other day when one of my "worldly" friends invited me to a jewelry party. I only went cuz she got some kinda prize or something and she's my best friend. I assured her I wasn't gonna buy anything. It is so JW. Well, the lady giving the party was a pentecostal Christian, kept bringing it up, etc. I was nauseated when I left there early and said I had to go to the feed store. No more of that crap for me. I hate that MLM more than I hate.. well... liver and onions.

CG

• freedom96
    freedom96

It always amazes me how many people contradict what they are saying regarding MLM's.

First, people get offended when "others make money from others". For God's sake.... what the hell do you think happens when you go to work?? Is not someone paying someone for some service or product? That is business! For those who have their own businesses like myself, you understand that. If that did not take place somehow, in some way shape or form, then businesses would not be.

For those who would never participate in a "pyramid", then you better quit your job. I have posted before, that I own 3 businesses. You better believe that my employees will never make more than me. THAT, my friends, could be said to be a pyramid. There will always be the low paying jobs, and above that maybe a sales force, and then maybe some management, and then the owner. That is the way that it works. That is business. I am not better than them, it is just the way it is. I own it, therefore I should make more. If you were in my shoes, you would agree.

The idea in a MLM is that everyone has the same opportunity. Some of course are better for others, and yes, there are some scams out there. But, there are a few companies that have stood the test of time, and they do work.

And there comes the other statements. People don't like the "get rich" scheme, and then get involved with a company, and then bitch because they didn't become rich overnight.

Any business, takes hard work. I know. And when you try hard enough, and long enough, then it pays off.

If a certain business does not interest someone, then just don't do it. I don't think it is cool to bash someone else because they are doing something that you are not willing to do. I don't look at a doctor, and say to myself "What a scam. I go in the office, wait an half hour to be seen, and then they talk to me, poke me a couple of times, and leave after 3 minutes and charge me $200 bucks. All doctors must be scum and sleazy, no one should make that kind of money." Yes, that statement sounds stupid, but people don't think twice about saying that about a MLM.

The fact is, that what creates the illusion of scams, is the people, not the business. The fact is, most of these companies do indeed work, if a person works them. (the same of any type business.) So what you have is a person that annoys the hell out of you, trying to get you involved in whatever he is doing. So then we label anyone doing that a jerk, or it is a scam. Same with lawyers. Oh how we hate them, but some are nice. You can take about any profession and find jerks. Does not mean that the whole industry sucks.

For myself, my hat is off to anyone who steps forward and tries something that others are just not willing to do. Even more respect to them if they stick with it. I don't care if it is a software company, a McDonalds, or even an Amway business. Good for them, and as long as they treat people with integrity, Go For It!! Who am I to take away their personal dreams and desires?

• DamnedAt21
    DamnedAt21

Amen Brother!!

I couldn't agree more.

It is the JW way to judge others, and find ways to make themselves sound better than the other guy. I respect anyone who has done MLM, stuck with it, and made decent money. I also have a great deal of respect for those who try MLM only to fail, but realize that it wasn't for them, or know that they didn't aquire the skills to succeed. But anyone who bashes MLM just because they failed, or they know someone who failed, or because they don't have the knowledge to make a fair judgment..............is absolutely ridiculous. MLM has stood the test of time, just like any other successful business. I suggest that people should not go out of their way to make ill informed statements, because in the end they are the ones who look dumb.

As far as why a JW would be attracted to MLM? Because many companies, especially the ones spoken of earlier in the post, use very similar techniques to keep people in the business, who are going to eventually fail anyway. Emotional meetings, scare tactics, the "take away" effect. All of which the typical JW is used to in their every day life, so obviously it appeals to them. People like to hang out and do business with like minded people. But true, honest, and seasoned MLM distributors do not build their business this way. Because they know if they do, they will be spending a majority of their time "babysitting" a bunch of people that will never make it. It's always better to find that 1 person that is willing to do what it takes to be successful, rather than finding 100 people that will sit there looking for a free ride and complain when they don't get it.

Anyway, that's my 10cents, my 2 cents is free.

• Mulan
    Mulan

The last two posts were excellent.

If a person isn't interested and does't want to get involved, I believe them, and don't mention it again. All you have to say is "no thanks." or "I am not interested in that". Believe me, that's what we want to know. Most of the new people I get, are people who come to me, wanting to know what I do, and how much I make, or they want products. They either are interested or not.

It is work, and that is for sure. Thanks for those who mentioned the work aspect. I put in my time in the beginning, and now I am hauling in the loot, doing much less work.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Funny you mention it, I just got some gumf through the door about Kleneeeze. Anyone know anything about this? I was looking for a second job and replied to an add without knowing what it was.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Also, this one just popped up: http://www.referralware.com

• ballistic
    ballistic

bttt as I am quite interested to hear opinions

• freedom96
    freedom96

Ballistic -

I would be concerned about getting involved with any MLM company that generates their leads for recruitment by mail. Sometimes the MLM is based on finding leads.

Being a businessman myself, I would want to know who I am involved with, and that would be helpful with eye contact, and sitting down with someone.

I would not want to be involved with business with just any yayhoo that comes along.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit