Multi-level selling traps and JWs

by Debz 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Debz
    Debz

Why is it that JW`s get `hooked` into the latest multi-level marketing ploys...when I was in...about 20yrs ago..it was Amway, Herbalife etc - seems it still happens with now Mannatech and others! Is this an indication of vulnurability of people through `brain-washing` OR does the materialistic lure of wealth `get them in`...I find it fascinating that such a concentrated amount of `get rich quick` schemes are actively condoned albeit unofficially. Anyone got any theories on this?...Debz

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi Debz, and welcome! Amway went through our area in the 70-80s, as well as Williams (life insurance, as I recall).

My thought: just another obsessive/compulsive behavior of addictive personalities...the latest guaranteed fix.

Craig

• Debz
    Debz

Ta Graig,for your welcome,

Yes I think its more a case of gullibility...don`t see the average citizen get hooked in so easy......good subject to ponder though! Cheers Debz

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Now that you mention it a lot of the dub women I knew were into multi marketing. Maybe it was just a thing in the 70s. Dont know about now.

Amway can be pretty deceptive, I got invited to an Amway recruitment meeting once under the guise of being invited to a "party" . They "love bombed" me. Used extreme "Approve/ Disapprove" signals to manipulate me, and , ultimately, SHUNNED ME when I refused to sign up....and all this was just at ONE meeting!!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I recall being in a congo in Sydney in the 70s where the weekly Amway meeting was conducted in the KH after the Service Meeting!

Most of the elders and MS were involved.

Don't you love those aussies!!!

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Ah yes Amway...I remember the ones who would promote it after their bookstudy group. I knew a brother who also did Rawleighs...don't know if ya'll remember that product. And how about Avon LOL...one sister used to bring out her little Avon catalogue after the bookstudy and would try and entice sisters to buy their lippie from her.

When Amway was popular...I remember the brothers saying that if they could get 'just enough' income from it, they would stop working and would go pioneering - bah!!!

I never heard of anyone getting rich from Amway...thought I heard a lot of talk about how it could make you rich.

~Beck~

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Beck,

It was like with C T Russell, it relied on a pyramid!!

Ozzie

• Prisca
    Prisca

Boom-tish!!

• Mackin
    Mackin

Amway was very popular over here a few years back. Lot's of dubs were into it.

I even had a someone call me recently trying to intrest me in Amway.

Mackin.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Hey Beck, the people getting rich off Amway are the guys selling the courses and tapes to "motivate" the people who are selling the product. The people selling the product all have holes in the bottoms of their shoes from excessive pounding of the pavement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit