Is God just teasing us?

by joannadandy 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Ok yesterday I was talking to my dad (Moe's thread reminded me) he said something about how bad Satan was...and said, yeah but "wasn't it Eve and Adam's fault? I mean yeah Satan laid out the sales pitch but they could have said no. You know gone home, talked it over with God, it wasn't even that high pressured a sales pitch. Like "eat it now or die!"

My dad just shakes his head at me, "yes they should have known better"

To which I said, "And for that matter, didn't God know they were going to screw up anyway? I mean he knows all, and can see everything. If he didn't know ahead of time they were going to screw up, which I think he probably did, how come he didn't see it, and say "Look here Satan, NOT IN MY GARDEN-GET OUT!" I mean if he knew how weak and all they were, he could have put a stop to it right then and there, but he didn't. Where was he? Taking a crap? Can God crap? And for that matter, it's not like there were a lot of people on the earth he had to watch, just these two, so where was he? And really, if he knows the future, he knew this was all going to happen so he is really just teasing us all..."

My dad just stands there. I dunno if he thinks I am funny or if I should be burned at the stake, I think he knows me well enough to know I just sputter lots of garbage. But he did say this...

"Yes it's true God can see the future, but he can choose not to see it."

HUH?

Have any of you heard this before? If he knows it all...how can he not see it? Or choose not to see it...why would he choose not to see it? Where the hell is this in the Bible did I miss it?

I could have pushed it further, but the microwave dinged and my food was done, so I left our Biblical discussion for the week there.

So does God pick and choose what he see's? Is this in the Bible? Is this something JW's teach or something Pa pulled out of his butt to placate his daughter who talks too much?

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I've heard it before and preached it before, but I can't remember seeing it in the Bible.

Pretty sad.

• avishai
    avishai
    Where was he? Taking a crap? Can God crap?

Ya know, elijah used this very same question on the philistines once. It used to be one of may arguments that, yes, the bible is funny.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Omnipotence is not compatible with selective awareness, the two things are incompatible with one another. Either God is omnipotent or he isn't.

How can god be the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end... er... minus that bit and this bit in the middle he decided he didn't want to watch.

Anyway, my new religion states that God is intrinsically part of the universe, and "choosing" such things would be impossible. The fabric of space and time are part of God so he cannot cease to be there or that part of space time would cease to exist.

Also, has anyone thought how irrational the whole idea of this? Ever heard of a scientist starting an experiment without making a prediction as to the result? Even better would be to perform the experiment knowing it could have catastrophic results and purposefully avoiding data that could predict such results.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

JOANNADANDY writes,

My dad [said]

"Yes it's true God can see the future, but he can choose not to see it."

Have any of you heard this before?

JOE ALWARD responds:

Yes, I have, and it makes a lot of sense. If God chose to look into your future and know what you would do, you would have no choice but to do it, else God would have "known" something that would prove not to be so, and that's impossible for the infinitely wise God. Thus, your dad is saying that God chooses not to look into the future in order that man may have free will.

Edited by - JosephAlward on 8 December 2002 18:30:42

• ballistic
    ballistic

Joe Alward: God is not infinately wise if there are things he doesn't know.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

"God is not infinately wise if there are things he doesn't know"

JOE ALWARD responds:

If you wish to define "infinitely wise" to mean "knowing all things, past, present, and future," then of course you are correct. However, I take "infinitely wise" to mean "being incapable of making a mistake."

• ballistic
    ballistic

Joe Alward: ok, but my God is not just infinately wise but he is infinity itself and therefore perfect. Him knowing everything is simply an intrinsic result of being everything.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

BALLISTIC wrote:

Omnipotence is not compatible with selective awareness, the two things are incompatible with one another. Either God is omnipotent or he isn't.

JOE ALWARD responds:

If God is all-powerful, then he has the power to do whatever he wishes, and that would include wishing not to look at some parts of the future.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41829&site=3

Above is the Calvinism thread. They believe that we are doomed from the moment we are born or blessed because God has foreordained our individual futures. Now isn't that a kicker.

JWs preach selective foreknowledge.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit