Jesus Sacrifice - How Stupid and Illogical

by MrMoe 139 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Jesus dying for our sins... Um, why.. because Adam made a mistake? Based upon what? Jehovah's rules? I mean it was his Dad who created everything and had to make all the rules. So why would his own father have him die from pure torture to "save" us? Why not wave a magic wand, would be the same thing, right?

And save us from what? What difference would it make if his kid died or not? Why a human sacrafice? Was it to save all those poor sheep and doves every Sunday? Um, 2,000 years later sh*t still looks the same, right? No wait, things are way worse. Crime and car thefts and all... The whole thing is just plain stupid.

discuss

Edited by - MrMoe on 8 December 2002 15:25:22

• donkey
    donkey

Why would an omnipotent god need to become flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself, so that his creations may escape the wrath of himself?

Sounds like these people worship a whack-job huh?

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

*laughs*

Now Donkey, that was logical... in the insane illogical religious sorta way.. [:?]

• rebel
    rebel

I was thinking about this very thing today. I was just thinking about the Trinity which I was supposed to have believed in as a child. When I studied and became a JW, I learnt that it was not a scriptural teaching. Today, after the WT study, I was thinking that, for God to have made a REAL sacrifice, wouldn't it have been more logical if he and Jesus were one and the same - that would have been a hard thing for him to do. I mean, why let your son go down and suffer when you could easily do it yourself? Why are we always told what a great sacrifice it was for Jehovah - what about Jesus? It was even harder for him. The more I think about it, the more I think the whole idea is weird. If God loves everyone so much, he would have sorted the whole thing out himself without making his son suffer instead.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Yeah, and Satan has more than enough time to prove his point. Thousands and thousands of years of human suffering just so Satan has time to make a point?? Who cares if a thousand years to us is a "only" day to them - we're the ones suffering!!! It's crazy and doesn't hold water for me.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Donkey beat me to it. I bet at the time it was written it made more sense to them. After all you can't just take the entire virgin birth story from Isis and Horus and still sound original so you have to add other lines of mythology as well. I believe it was Hercules who was the son of a God and mortal woman. I also seem to remember he ascended to Olympus and back to earth. There are sooo many other stories out before and at that time just like the Jesus myth that it is just blind faith to believe that Jesus sacrifice is somehow original.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am sure that God had his reasons. The fact is, that He can do anything, and wipe the slate clean if He wanted to. I am going to respect His wishes and the way He wants to do things.

For myself, I am not going to take too much time to ponder the issue. I don't think it is always up to us to have to know the answers to everything. The WTS always had the answer, and usually a wrong one.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

All the time I was a Jdub I didn't get it either. Many years ago I told my now xwife that I didn't understand the ransom sacrifice. One day we were talking to elder about something else and she ask him how one would explain the RS to someone, without telling him it was me that didn't understand it. His answer was that you'd have to be pretty stupid not to understand it.

The jdubs always said the JC suffered so much, but it seems to me it'd be easier to remain steadfast if you're perfect. Besides that they say that when he was baptized he remembered his past life in heaven. That would make it all the easier such he'd understand
    "the big picture," as understood by the jdobs, of course.

• avishai
    avishai

Heres a good joke . Say, "What's this?" Then chew on your palm. When they say "What?" Say, "Jesus biting his nails!"

• terabletera
    terabletera

The reason it is "stupid and illogical" is because it isn't real and you have thousands of people that cling to it for their very reason for living, so...the twists and crams that are done to make it as REAL as possible to them make it all the more confusing to those of us that dismissed it after a long time thinking on it.

The whole thing is mythology to me. Christianity seems like a lovely rabbits foot for the most part. Once a person walks in to religion, IN MY OPINION, they are closing doors behind them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit