Is it Love?

by donkey 24 Replies latest jw friends

• donkey
    donkey

Simple question: If a Schizophrenic falls in love with one of the people he/she is delusional about is it really love? If not what is it? More importantly what is the reasoning behind your answer?

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Wow interesting question. Love is really quite personal, it may even be a little different for everybody. Real love though, no I doubt it would be real love... but I dunno, thought provoking...

As far as the subject goes in general... the love word is tossed around to much in relationships between a man and a woman (or two men or two women if you are homosexual.) I can't count how many guys I dated that spewed those words, and some meant it, but failed to grasp the full meaning of it. I say it when I mean it, which is rare. So going by the what I have seen in others, no, I doubt it is real, then again, I feel often times the love/crush feeling is just superficial, and lacks a solid backing. Think about it. If you loose somebody you love, it is devastating, not something u can get over in a few days.

I love lots of people in a non-romantic sort of way, and some here on this board I have never met face to face ((donkey)) - as friends. But relationship love is much different. It is not just a feeling, it is a knowledge, too. A person that you can't be without and that can even go so far as to change you as a person, or at least your plans. It involves devotion, faith, benevolent concern, adoration, trust, and acceptance of flaws.

So, I suppose it all depends on your defininition of the word.

Ok, will stop rambling now.

• shera
    shera

Well,they really feel that person is there...love isnot a result of being schizophrenic.Love is a true feeling,so I can see them really loving that delusion.

Imagine what that would do to a person,when and if they get help and they realize they are not really there.

Edited by - shera on 8 December 2002 14:14:33

• donkey
    donkey

If the subject being loved is not real then is the love real?

Does the subject of the love need to be proved real for the love to be real?

How is the love for God any different than the love a schizophrenic has for an imaginary friend?

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I knew you were getting to that...

Tell u what my friend. I love my deceased mothers - heart and soul I do. And I think it is possible to fall in REAL love and not have that feeling returned. Or, what in cases of divorce, when it turns out one never really loved the other after all or stopped loving the person? Take my ex-husband. He is still in love with me, and I realize now I never loved him. I cared. See what I am getting at?

• donkey
    donkey

Amanda,

There is a key difference. You have met these people in person or spoken with them. You did not just believe in them and then form a "love" for them without knowing them in person.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I agree... but love is personal is it not? But all in all, I agree. To love a possible fictional person or being is hard to swallow.

• shera
    shera

A person with schizophrenia,really feels they see and the person is really there...God is not seen,just felt and seeing the proof there is a creator.

• Xander
    Xander

donkey...I'm reading the thread, but I'm not understanding it.

You seem to be guiding it, but what is your ultimate point?

(In any case, I'm having frightening flashbacks to talks explaining the difference between agape and hmmm...can't recall...the other ones.))

• larc
    larc

I think romantic love is a dilusional experience. After all, when under its spell, we don't see the other person as they really are, so I guess it would be real love for the schizophrenic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit