Would you accept blood?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Would you give blood if there was an urgent need for it? And if you were the one who needed blood, would you accept it?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Of course and of course.

• JH
    JH

This is not just a question of religion, but also of health. Even some catholics would not want any blood, because they fear aids or other diseases.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Most intelligent people believe that death is bad for your health.

Are you an intelligent person?

• Marcos
    Marcos

I have donated blood because someone needed it.

However, like many things in my life, after being out for more than 20 years, I still have certain "hang-ups". Accepting blood is one of them. I am currently trying to educate myself so as to be more consistent in my beliefs. I still run into issues that are no longer black or white for me.

I left the WT and never wanted to have anything to do with them. Love the people, hate the crap.

Thing is, the teachings are so integral in my world view (they were "sounded down in my heart") that I have only recently really noticed that many of the false teachings as well as the good and reasonable ones still govern how I view things.

I think I made a mistake in not taking the time to completely evaluate my beliefs when I left and really address the false teachings. I was just so happy to be out! I do not and never have, since I have left, recognize their authority over me. That is to say, they have no authority over me. But the indoctrination was so effective that I still follow many of the old rules, right or wrong. Looks like it is a work in prgress to really free myself.

It frustrates me at times to realize that I willingly submitted to rules and conditions that ruined my life. I was/am a wiling participant in my own failures. But I do see what has happened and on of the most enjoyable (but trying) things in my life is the process of reconstructing my life. I slept for 20+ years after leaving Bethel and the WT. It's nice to wake up after a long nap.

Marcos

• breeze
    breeze

There is no yes or no answer for this question?

I believe the practices of the medical field have changed over the past few years and the use of blood has decreased.

The JW's have taken credit for this? I think doctors use it less and only offer it when needed? More bloodless surgery now than ever?

If I were in a auto wreck or in a position were much blood had been lossed, probably I would?

But to use it for a back up for some surgery, no?

• spanky
    spanky

I think most people if given the option would take a synthetic or engineered substitute for blood if it transported oxygen as well. Unfortunately, there is no widely available substitute. So is life with HIV or Hepatitis better than death in 5 minutes on the operating table? Ask the families of those who have lost loved ones because they refused blood.

• JH
    JH

Why do the witnesses hold firm to this belief of not accepting/giving blood? Did God really forbid blood transfusions? And lets say he did, why would it be so important for him?

Edited by - jh on 8 December 2002 13:5:58

• glitter
    glitter

For planned surgery I'd prefer to store my own blood, but for an accident I'd take donated blood no problem - dying right there and then or running a tiny risk and maybe getting full-blown AIDS years and years down the line? It's that simple for me. Even if I got something from donated blood I'd be glad for the extra time I wouldn't have had otherwise.

And there is always an urgent need for blood donors - so few people donate but almost everyone would want to recieve blood products.

They don't want my blood because I have an illness, but when I'm well again I'll be a regular donor if they'll have me.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I have given blood, though I can no longer do so due to two bouts with hepetitis. I would take blood if it were deemed necessary. I've yet to meet a non-witness who has made a decision to reject blood due to fear of disease, especially today. Put someone on a table facing immenient death or taking a blood transfusion, I think the fear of aids goes to the way side. quickly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit