Attorney General: JW congregation didn't report child abuse

by betterdaze 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Delaware Attorney General: Sussex Co. Jehovah's Witnesses congregation didn't report child abuse

By Associated Press 1:47pm, August 5, 2015

The Delaware attorney general's office is suing a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in Sussex County, claiming that elders failed to report an unlawful sexual relationship between a woman and a 14-year-old boy, both of whom were congregation members.

Oral arguments in the civil action are set for November.

Authorities say elders learned in January 2013 that Katheryn Harris Carmean White was having sex with the boy and failed to immediately call a child abuse hotline.

The congregation's attorney argues that the elders are protected by clergy privilege from the reporting requirements, similar to the confidentiality of a church confessional.

Carmean White, who worked as a teacher's aide at Seaford Middle School, was later convicted of rape and child endangerment and sentenced to six years in prison.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

When it rains, it pours, huh?

Talk about a bad week for the WT Legal Dept.

• Litebrite
    Litebrite

1) JWs proudly proclaim they have no clergy like Cgristendom. Quite hypocritical to then claim rights specific to clergy as a defense. R&F (or should I say laity) should know just how the higher ups view themselves.

2) Confession is not the same as information arising during the conducting of a judicial meeting or investigation.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Jeezus, it's a f**king tidal wave...

x

Ironic, considering that in the past, it was the WT who'd throw all their resources into the cases to try and overwhelm the plaintiffs' efforts.

Now it's the plaintiffs overwhelming the WT.

I really am starting to believe in karma.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    Darn that Satan wanting criminal matters reported to the police so criminals can be caught and punished without delay.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I mean...what could they possibly be thinking that they don't have to report crime!

The RC was great asking if they saw a robbery or murder or such, would they call the police, to which they affirmed they would. But why on earth not a heinous crime against a child!!!!

They feel they are above the law. We shall see about that.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

If I recall correctly, during the RC the WT reps all testified that if there was a mandatory reporting requirement, they would most certainly have reported those cases-- or would in the future if such a requirement exists. Yet the WT lawyers in this case seem to be saying the complete opposite. Based on the article, Delaware is a mandatory reporting state, and the WT lawyer is still saying they're not obligated to report.

Here's a slightly longer article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/authorities-congregation-elders-didnt-report-child-abuse/2015/08/05/5456821a-3b91-11e5-b34f-4e0a1e3a3bf9_story.html

I'd be curious to know what His Honour at the RC would think if he read this article. I'm sure he'd love to have G. Jackson explain the seeming contradiction.

• Litebrite
    Litebrite
    Just in case they don't know, maybe we should email them to let them know about the recorded testimony of the RC which has done all their work for them.
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Jesus!

This persecution from Satan is coming fast and furious! 😜😈👹👻👍👍🎉

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

his persecution from Satan is coming fast and furious!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit