What Doctrine Or Belief Didn"t You Agree W...

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When you get baptized, you are expected to swallow a multitude of beliefs that either you never really understood or simply didn't truly believe in. When going over Questions For Baptism, almost nobody understood the concept of the"faithful and discreet slave". Yet after it was attempted to explain this mumbo-jumbo, every candidate meekly just went along with the explanation without ever truly understanding the fallacy. Was there anything that you never agreed with or understood to be true and yet you just ignored it with the hope that you might understand it later?

Edited by - minimus on 6 December 2002 23:4:13

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

That Jerusalem was destroyed in 607. When I was in high school I used to spend my lunches in the school library reading encyclopedias to see if anyone agreed with the Society. It used to baffle me why everyone said it was destroyed in 585-587. But I do remember consciously thinking I'm not going to think about that.

I've openly disagreed with the idea that the elders belong in my bedroom. I argued vehemently with several elders that 1975 was NOT going to be the end. And I got up on rooftops and screamed (even to dropping the F-bomb on a CO) regarding the two eyewitness rule as it relates to incest/abuse.

Big Tex -- troublemaking little twerp.

• finnrot
    finnrot

Hello minimus, Even when I was a little kid, I didn't see how people were ever going to live on a paradise earth forever. I don't know if this qualifies as disagreeing with doctrine, but when I was a kid Jehovah seemed like a mean and spiteful God. It seemed to me somewhere along the line, somebody was going to piss Him off and he would wipe everybody out and start all over again. When you're a kid and you're taught that you're never going to die, the prospect of Jehovah getting pissed at somebody a thousand years down the line and killing you for it really scared the piss out of me. I wonder if any other J.W. kids thought this way? After 1975 I realized it was all bullshit and the party hasn't stopped.

-fin

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

I know it's not a doctrine, but counting service time never seemed right to me. If we were supposed to preach the good news, I couldn't understand why it just couldn't be spontaneous and sincere. I felt that counting time made it too regimental, unloving and almost competitious.

I couldn't swallow the modern-day fulfillments in general. The gov bod seemed so sure of itself, almost cocky...I just didn't trust it.

It really bothered me that the resurrected ones couldn't marry. It seemed odd that God would create woman so that men would be complete and yet people who had come back from the grave would not have this gift. They would be like the angels, only incomplete, I guess. Doesn't make sense.

Edited by - windchaser on 7 December 2002 0:9:10

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Didn't believe in the Governing Body as being appointed over Christ's belongings! Still don't!

And just like "Windchaser", I didn't believe about all this "modern day fulfillment" parallels. Come on now, the seven trumpet blasts in Revelation is supposed to be the seven conventions of the early 20's?????

I was foolish for being baptized. I didn't even "love" Jehovah. All the wrong motives were involved. Just to please others when I took the plung. So, do you think I can ask that my baptisim be relinquished?

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother "NOT Exerting Vigorously")

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The list would be much shorter,if you asked what I did agree with..I was raised in that sorry ass religion..LOL!...OUTLAW

• Robdar
    Robdar

I didn't believe that the people in other religions would be destroyed at the Big A for not being JW's. I didn't believe that Christ returned invisibly in 1914. I didn't agree with the society that the gifts of the spirit mentioned in 1 Corithians were not longer active. I didn't agree with shunning. I didn't agree with not voting. As a matter of fact, the closer I looked, without a WT to guide me, the more I saw the doctrine for the crap it is.

Thanks for asking.

Love,

Robyn

• FLDude
    FLDude

Great thread, Minimus.

The resurrection doctrine (about 'not being given in marriage') bothered me. I wanted to 'live through Armageddon' just so I wouldn't come back like some quasi-anointed 'thing' without libido. Libido is a fun thing to have, and I didn't want to lose it.

And, I never understood about the countries with a ridiculous population to JW ratio. For example, what would happen to the 10,000,000 people in Bangladesh to every JW when Armageddon came? Would they just get wiped away? That didn't seem fair. But, how could they possibly be reached in time by the 'preaching work.' Especially since the end was right around the corner.

Three might be that all non-JWs would be destroyed. I knew a lot of good kids in my classes at school and it didn't make sense that they'd lose out if God was love.

Most things I disagree with were after I started on my way out and began thinking for myself more. So, they don't really qualify under this thread. Plus, it would take a long time to write about them.

Now, I realize that God really is more loving and merciful than we can imagine, and that he (or she) puts up with a lot of crap from each of us. I still believe in the ransom sacrifice by Jesus Christ, but I'm not sure about a lot of things. Like I say in prayer occasionally, I'd rather not know all the answers than be 1) wrong and 2) convinced I was right and everybody else was wrong.

I'm much happier and love thinking for myself!

• rebel
    rebel

I never believed that anyone was anointed. Whenever I met one at the memorial or something, I just kept thinking that they were lying or mad. They never told me how they knew they were anointed - they said it was just a feeling. I used to feel really bad for not believing them. I have always had a problem with the fact we are supposed to have a remnant on the earth now. If 144,000 were to rule with Christ in heaven, they would have been gathered long before now.

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

I guess that it is a long list of garbage that is hard to stomach.

I didnt agree with the destruction of Jerusalem in 607, when they had no backing from secular sources. I didnt believe that there are only 360 days in a year for their calculations. I didnt believe in their prophecy fulfillments. I didnt believe that some smug and arrogant people would be gods chosen. I didnt believe that Daniel was talking about today. I didnt believe all of their junk science. The two witness rule, their reasoning on blood. Anything that started with "reasoning". Why it is so important to have Jehovahs name in the New Testament when it was never there. How they pick Elders. Etc..Etc..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit