Calvinism

by Calvinist02 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Donkey, I didn't even read your post through. It is apparent that you not only have a bitter hatred for the Bible, but you are very rude as well- having no respect or anyone or anything. What I said to you did not deserve such slandering. Surley there is nothing to gain by insulting.

It seems to me that the Word of God has really convicted you and has made you bitter. I hope that God someday opens your eyes to the truth. Jesus died for sinners such as you and me, and He will not cast anyone out who comes to Him. If you have any questions concerning salvation, feel free to e-mail me.

Sincerely,
    Mike

Matthew 5:44 "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"

John 15:17-19 "These things I [Jesus] command you, that ye love one another. If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Donkey, dude (yes I've finally sussed who you are ) how's it going?

Just got to add 2p here, in that Calvin (and the bible) declares that all mankind are sinners (hence scum), believer and unbeliever alike.
    So, here we are doing our scummiest best, even though we believe.

I do have to concede that I've found a goodly number of bigots amongst online Calvinists. That having been said, I find that in every belief system, including atheism. After all, don't a number of voluble atheists hold Christians in derision for believing "antiquated mythical claptrap" (in their eyes).

Unfortunately, quite a number of them (bigots) seem to gravitate to sites with a religious theme, like this one. Then they go wading in, with both boots, not appreciating the rawness of those fleeing damaging cults like the one we've been exposed to. It seems to me that their lack of sensitivity does more harm to their cause than they could ever perceive.

SC:
    If you walk a mile in another's shoes, you may see why they limp the way they do (that isn't a suggestion that you join the JW's, btw).

Also, whilst I hold Spurgeon in high regard, I would rather read him from an archive, rather than from a cut'n'paste in the middle of a thread. I suggest you post the link, if you feel it important. I understand that Simon is having bandwidth issues, at the moment, and this IS predominantly a site for ex-JW's.

~LT, of the scummy, raw, but believing, class~

• donkey
    donkey
    Donkey- We are not judging you when we are saying you are a sinner. I am telling you the truth

Calvin. I am not being nasty when I tell you this either. You are a biggot. It is the truth.

Look how absurd your statement was: "It is the truth!!!" How can something be true if the underlying basis is flawed? Can we prove the existence of God - no way! Can we prove that the Bible is God's word? Well since we cannot prove that God is real how can I prove that the bible is his word? For your statement to be correct all the questions I just raised would have to be true AND then you would have to be able to measure me against that established yardstick of truth.

Well I got somewhere else for you to shove the yardstick...

Donkey, I didn't even read your post through. It is apparent that you not only have a bitter hatred for the Bible, but you are very rude as well- having no respect or anyone or anything. What I said to you did not deserve such slandering. Surley there is nothing to gain by insulting.

Well I don't hate God. That would be like trying to hate an imaginary friend. As far as respect? Why should I respect someone who wants to judge others? I have zero respect for people like that. I also have zero respect for stupidity or spam and all I have seen from you on here is religio-spam.

Hi LT,

I agree there are good people everywhere. I hope things are well with you.

• Calvinist02
    Calvinist02

donkey-

Just answer me this-- do you think you are a sinner? I know I am, but I am now saved to the bondage of it.

btw- bigot, not biggot

• donkey
    donkey
    Just answer me this-- do you think you are a sinner? I know I am, but I am now saved to the bondage of it.

Calvinist,

What is it about you that causes you to lack the ability to think? Am I a sinner? What do I (Donkey think)? Here is my answer:

\Sin"ner\, n. One who has sinned; especially, one who has sinned without repenting; hence, a persistent and incorrigible transgressor; one condemned by the law of God.

I am under no such law. How can I be condemned by it? To be under such a law would mean that I acknowledge that there is a god. I acknowledge no such despicable creature. I hate god. Now don't be shocked. Since to me god is nothing I could just as easily have said I hate nothing - i.e. no hatred.

How is your question pertinent? It is pertinent because it is phrased incorrectly. You think (I use that word liberally in this context)/believe tht I am a sinner. You would paint me as inferior because of some belief system you entertain. You would paint anyone who does not share your belief system as a sinner (or inferior). I do not play the game, so how can I be a particular particpant in the arena?

I have racked my brain for the past year as to how I can show believers such as yourself that they are under a "spell". You live in a world of make believe, and its truly powerful. No logic can get through to you, because you WANT to believe this stuff and no logical appeal will work at all. anyone else know HOW to pierce the helmet of blindness?

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Donkey, just because you don't acknowledge God, does not make Him go away. "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God."

"I have racked my brain for the past year as to how I can show believers such as yourself that they are under a 'spell'."

Tell, me donkey, where is the LOGIC in doing this? Why rack your brain? If we are so deceived, why bother? What is it to you?
    The fact is, you hate God so much that you just can't stand anyone who believes in Him. You have such a bitterness toward the Bible, that if anyone finds happiness in it, you have to shoot them down. You have to insult and devise plans to try to prove to them that God doesn't exist - just to appease your own self. A Christian doesn't want to hear what you have to say. A true Christian has the very spirit of God dwelling in them, and you will not turn them from their God. This frustrates you.
    The more you deny God outwardly, the more you will suppress the knowledge of Him, and your conscience will not bother you. It seems you have to prove it to yourself that God doesn't exist.
    If you have so little regard for God, and no conscience about it; why not just live your life, and let Christians live theirs in what gives them happiness?

• hooberus
    hooberus

Swedish said:

"You can argue about atonement, but can't argue with the Sovereignty of God. If God wanted to, He could only save one of us and leave the rest to go to hell and there would be no unrighteousness with Him."

Swedish my main problem with calvinism is the unscriptural Limited atonement philosophy. I haven't said anything for or against the Sovereignty issues of calvinism.

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all" Isaiah 53:6

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." 1Timothy 2:5-6

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man." Hebrews 2:9

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction." 2 Peter 2:1

Edited by - hooberus on 14 December 2002 16:2:50

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

hooberus, Sorry it took a few days for me to respond, but i cant always get the time to check back in. I read an earlier thread where you quoted Heb. 2:9 and 1Tim.2:5-6 to support that Christ did in fact die for all men everywhere. Here is my response.

Lets deal with the word "WILL" first. In 1 Tim.2:3,4 (The one you quoted) Paul refers to "God our Saviour, who would have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth" Ezekial 33:11 we read "As i live, saith the LORD Jehovah, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live";and 2Pet.3:9 we read that God is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." These verses simply teach that God is benevolent, and that He does not delight in the sufferings of His creatures any more than a human father delights in the punishment wich he must sometimes inflict upon his son. God does not decretively will the salvation of all men, no matter how much he may desire it; and if any verses taught that he decretively willed or intended the salvation of all men, they would contradict those other parts of the Scripture which teach that God sovereignly rules and that it is his purpose to leave some to be punished.

The word "Will" is used in different senses in Scripture and in our every day conversation. It is sometimes used in the sense of "decree" or "purpose", and soemtimes in the sense of "desire" or "wish". A righteous judge does not will (desire) that anyone should be hanged or sentenced to prison, yet at the same time he wills (pronounces sentence, or decrees) that the guilty person shall be thus punished. In the same sense and for sufficient reasons a man may will or decide to have a limb removed, or an eye taken out, even thought he certainly does not desire it. The Greek words THELO and BOULOMAI, which are sometimes translated "Will" are also used in the sense of "desire" or "Wish" eg.. Jesus said to the mother of James and John,
    "What WOULDest thou?" Matt. 20:21 of the scribes it was said they "DESIRE to walk in long robes," Luke 20:46; certain of the Scribes and Phariesees said to Jesus, "Teacher, we WOULD see a sign from thee," Matt.12:38 Paul said, "I HAD RATHER speak five words with my understanding, that i might instruct others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue" 1Cor. 14:19

In like manner the word "ALL" is unmistakeably used in different senses in Scripture. In some cases it certainly was said, "And there went out unto him ALL the country of Judea, and all they of Jerusalem; and they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins," In Acts 4:21 Peter and John had healed the lame man and that "ALL men glorified God for that which was done," Jesus told his disciples that they would be "hated of ALL MEN" for his names sake. Luke 21:17 Paul was accused of teaching ALL MEN EVERYWHERE againts the people. When Jesus said, "And if I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw ALL MEN unto myself". John 12:32 Did he mean ALL MEN EVERYWHERE WOULD COME? Surely if he drew them all they would. But this is simply not the case. History has shown that. What he meant was, that a large multitude from all nations and classes woud be saved; and this is what we see coming to pass.

What about Heb 2:9 we read that Jesus tasted death "for EVERY MAN" The original greek, however, does not use the word "MAN" here at all, but simply says, "FOR EVERY". So in principle, if the meaning is not to be limited to those who are actually saved, why limit it to men? Why not include the fallen angels, even the Devil himself?

One more scripture that is often thrown up againts Calvinism is 1Cor. 15:22. "For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive" This passage however is not talking about life in this age, whether physical or spiritual, but about the ressurrection life. This is plainly seen by reading further in verse 23 and 24. "But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; then THEY THAT ARE CHRIST'S AT HIS COMING" Christ is the first to enter into the resurrection life, then, WHEN HE COMES, his people also enter into their resurrection life. Basically, what paul is saying, is that at that time a glorious resurrection life will become a reality FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE IN CHRIST.

I believe a careful examination of scripture can easily explain the common misconceptions of freewill. But do not misunderstand me. I do not believe that because God has an elect people, that somehow voids me of responsibility. As the Chef stated earlier, there are two sides to this issue. Gods side in wich he Sovereignly chooses an elect bride before the foundation of the world and knows each and every one of them (Like when he told Jeremiah, "I knew you before you were in the womb") and mans side, wich blinded by a fleshly veil, cannot see beyond it, but knows that he must come to christ to recieve the living water. And when its all said and done, only the elect will respond to this invitation. And not one drop of Gods precious blood will be wasted.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Sangdigger and Sweedishchef,

Keep up the good work

Hey guys throw this out there

John 3:18-21 as those with out Christ already stand condemmed

18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God

Little Toe,

Shame on you for using muddied language and sounding consiliatory towards the forces that apposed the Doctrines of Grace. For some who claims to hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith you seem like a traitor. Your "esteem of Spergon" seem quite d isingenuous.

If you lived with in the jutistiction of my presbytery I would show the session (elsers) your posts and we would see to it that you would be brought up on charges.

Soli Deo Gloria,

jr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit