Calvinism

by Calvinist02 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Calvinist02
    Calvinist02

The Basic 5 points of Calvinism

1. Total Depravity- All men are sinners. We are totally corrupt and wicked. Our hearts are deceitful above all else. We are dead in our sins. We cannot seek or choose God in our sins.

(Romans 3:23; Romans 3:10-14; Jer. 17:9; Ephesians 2:1; Romans 3:12; Romans 8:8)

2. Unconditional Election- Because men are such sinners, we cannot choose God. Therefore, God must choose us, not on anything good we have done. (Because we do NO good) God did not look ahead and choose us based on any good works. He did it based on His will. He predestined His elect to salvation before the foundation of the world.

(Romans 3:10; Ephesians 1:4,11; 2 Thess. 2:13)

3. Limited Atonement- Christ's death was the sacrifice for the elect. Jesus came to seek and to save the lost. Jesus died for His sheep (the sheep are describes as the elect in John 10). Jesus' purpose of dying was made- to be the propitiation for sins.

(Luke 19:10; John 10:15;

4. Irrisistable Grace- God calls the elect to salvation by the Holy Spirit. This call is irrisistable. If God chooses you, and then calls you- you're comin! :) God will do anything that He pleases. He is Sovereign.

(Jude:1; 1 Cor. 7:17; 2Peter 1:10;Ephesians 4:4; Romas11:29;Isaiah 46:10!; Daniel 4:25)

5. Perseverence of the Saints- True Believers cannot lose their salvation. If God did choose you, then He cannot "un-choose" you. If you did "fall away from the faith" then you were never really in it.

(John 10:29; Ephesians 4:30; 1John 2:19)

So... are you a "calvinist"? Reply, please!

• Brumm
    Brumm
    So... are you a "calvinist"? Reply, please!

Nope. and fancy that, for the importance thats put on him he dont even get a mention in the Bible!

So are you for Apollos or for Paul? reply, please!

Brummie

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I prefer Hobbes myself.

Expatbrit

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Calvinist, the world needs to hear truths like the ones you just posted. Many people have a problem with the "limited atonement."
    J.C. Ryle once said "Of all the doctrines of the Bible none is so offensive to human nature as the doctrine of God's sovereignty."
    The Lord says "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy."
    I am just thankful that all who come to Jesus will find rest and salvation.

• Calvinist02
    Calvinist02

I know that John Calvin was and never will be mentioned in the Bible. What about the "Trinity" Do you believe in the trinity? (I'd hope so!) Well the word trinity is never used in the Bible. How do you know it's true? Because there is Biblical evidence of it's truth. The same with Calvinism. Calvinism is just a term used to refer to these 5 points. They are also known as "The Doctrines of Grace". So do you believe in "The Doctrines of Grace"

• Calvinist02
    Calvinist02

SwedishChef- Yes, I had many struggles with "Limited Atonement" and still able to change to UA. It just seems there are scriptures which point to it. And it seems logical. :)

• Brumm
    Brumm

lol expabrit! Who is Hobbes? A biscuit maker?

Cal..

I know that John Calvin was and never will be mentioned in the Bible. What about the "Trinity"

You'll go far with that!

Interjecting his interpretation into the line of salvation are we?

So do you believe in "The Doctrines of Grace"

Thats not what you asked originally...I do believe in Grace but that doesnt make me a calvanist does it? It more likely makes me a Christain dont cha think? I believe in God...does that make me a Calvanist?

Does being a Calvanist and believing what he says the Bible says make anyone a Christian? I think not, knowing Christ is being a Christain, or is something missing if we havent endorsed calvin?

Calvin, Luther, Jesus, Apollos or Paul? Which one are you following? or do you follow 2?

Edited by - brumm on 5 December 2002 21:27:3

• Calvinist02
    Calvinist02

Didn't you understand me? "Calvin has not been mentioned in the Bible..ever" Has your name ever been mentioned in the Bible? No. Does that mean you shouldn't believe anything that you say? How can that be? I only agree with Calvin's theology (most) which is taught in the Bible. Did you not see all the scripture references used for each point?

"The DoctrineS of Grace" Is another title for "The 5 points of Calvinism" Do ya get that?

Believing in God does nothing regarding your salvation. James 2:19- the demons believe in God- and shudder. So "believing" doesn't save you. Repentance does. And the doctrineS of Grace are a clear layout of the gospel.

• Brumm
    Brumm
    Has your name ever been mentioned in the Bible?

Nope and thats why its irrelevant to argue whether my interpretation is right or wrong.

Lighten up.

I just never saw the point of people arguing over calvin etc. seems like a waist of time to me.

Dave Hunt just wrote a book about him, I havent read it and wont be reading it but it goes to show how people can argue back and forth over men. crazy life.

• TR
    TR

Calivinism sounds like a great excuse to be the biggest loser you can be.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit