all I can smell is SMOKE!!

by Prisca 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

bleh...

Bushfires have been raging around Sydney for the past 2 days. High temperatures (30C+) plus blustery hot winds have fanned fires all around my city. The reason for this is that although the central business district of Sydney and neighbouring suburbs are purely metropolitan, the outlying suburbs are surrounded by bushland, and many areas naturally have plenty of vegetation. So combine all that, and you have 17 homes lost and many other houses damaged.

I took a photo of the setting sun, bright red, shining through the haze. I only have a normal camera, not a digital, but once I get the film developed, I will post a few pics to illustrate.

And the smoke!!! That's all I can smell. Because of the heat, I have to have the doors and windows open, so I can't escape it.

Prisca, of the Smoke-Gets-In-My-Eyes Class

• Prisca
    Prisca

BTW:

I am not in any danger of the bushfires - the nearest one is about 10km away, so I'm more in danger of being choked to death by the smoke and ash, than the fires themselves.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/National/story_43378.asp

Fires started deliberately: govt
    Listen to Audio

Bushfires ringing the metropolitan Sydney region had definitely been started deliberately or by acts of negligence, NSW Emergency Services Minister Bob Debus said.

Mr Debus said the government was yet to receive official confirmation of the cause of the fires, however natural circumstances had all but been ruled out.

"But it is clear that the fires in the Sydney area have not been started by lightning," Mr Debus said while touring the bushfire-affected area of Glenorie, in Sydney's north.

"It is clear that they have been started at least for the most part by some kind of human action.

"Whether it be negligent or malicious, we can't be sure yet."

Mr Debus inspected the ruins of the Johansen family home at Glenorie, destroyed Wednesday by a devastating bushfire.

Earlier, Sandra Johansen said she, her husband and a friend were trapped in their home while just outside, five firefighters huddled inside their fire truck as flames raged around them.

All were saved when two more firefighters appeared, carrying the eight to safety in another vehicle.

Hers was one of at least 15 homes razed at Glenorie yesterday as bushfires raged around Sydney.

AAP 2002

I just watched this on the news :

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/National/story_42281.asp

Home destroyed in Dural

Another home has been destroyed by bushfires sweeping through Sydney's north-west.

A home in O'Haras Creek Road, Middle Dural was destroyed and two others damaged as fires raged through the area on Thursday.

This brings the total to 17 homes lost across NSW in the past two days, according to the NSW Rural Fire Service.

Earlier, firefighters began evacuating residents in Cairnes Road, Glenorie as the blaze flanked the top of a ridge and flames jumped from tree to tree.

Terry Hills Rural Fire Service deputy captain David King said the bushfire, which had been raging at Glenorie since Wednesday, had jumped the Old Northern Road and was working its way behind houses.

"A dozen homes are under extremely serious threat at Glenorie," Mr King told AAP.

"(The fire has) come down into the valley at Glenorie at the Old Northern Road so they've got a lot of vehicles responding there.

"We've got trucks in behind all the houses doing property protection."

Thick black smoke enveloped the area as firefighters frantically fought to save the homes.

AAP 2002

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Sorry to hear that Prisca.

Once smoke gets in your house and hair, it seems so hard to get rid of. You'll be smelling smoke for days if not weeks.

I hope they ge those fires undercontrol. In the meantime, house down you house, if that would help.

j2bf

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

We were a little worried about you, Pris, when we saw how far into Sydney the fires had gotten. The Big Smoke, eh? I will concede that things are getting serious. I get my digital camera back tomorrow, so perhaps can take some pics around here. It looks like there's a big flare-up behind Sublime Point (probably Madden's Plains), so I'll see what I can get...

• Brummie
    Brummie

Thats it! You need to move to England Prisca, out of harms way.

....bring an umberella

Brummie

• Prisca
    Prisca

Joy - because of water restictions, only those in immediate danger are allowed to water down their houses. The wind has died down now, and so has the heat. Life is a bit more bearable now.

Stephanus - Thank you for your concern. The fires were much closer yesterday, it wasn't real pleasant. Give the missers a hug from me

Brummie - UK here I come.... I wish!! Oh well, I might win the lottery one day...

• ugg
    ugg

oh my,,,,that is so awful prisca!!!!!!!!! thinking of you and sending hugs....

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

A generated image of where the fires are raging across New South wales. Hey Pris, Melbournes turn generally comes late February.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, I hope that Number one Son is OK, he lives in Pyrmont, Sydney, NSW.

Englishman.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Pyrmont is pretty close to Sydney's CBD, and is absolutely no danger of the fires, because there is no bush in that area.

BTW, the winds are still pretty strong, but there's been a few drops of rain! Doubt that they will be enough to quell any of the fires, but the cool temperatures will make it easier to sleep tonight.

Prisca, of the Lack of Sleep Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit